Sign in to follow this  
PebbleBeach

Please Help - New System - Bad Results

Hi, I recently purchased a new system that I thought would be able to power FS9 flawlessly. I was wrong. In fact, I had better results on my Q6600. I am at a loss. With everything maxed in FS9, I was getting 22-24 FPS dropping to 9-10 FPS while transitioning cloud layers. The visuals look very good and crisp. I have played with the settings for the video cards i.e. antialiasing etc. but I must add I'm more familiar with Nvidia products versus these AMD Radeon cards. Ironically, my wireless internet connection on this new computer is also very slow. It sits right next to the old system which still retains a very fast wireless internet connection. I would greatly appreciate anyone in the "hardware knowledged community" that can assist me with suggestions. Please understand that the system was purchased on this past Saturday so it is in effect - brand new. Running FS9Hifi Evolution WeatherREX for FS2004Various payware airportsBirdseyeview Textures System Specs: PowerSpec G212 Intel Core I7-2600K (3.4 GHz)Windows 7 Home Premium (64)Intel DP67BG System Board64GB Solid State Boot Drive16GB DDR3-1333 Ram(2) 2TB 5,400RPM Hard Drives in Raid 0(2) AMD Radeon HD 6790 Crossfire Video Cards (PCIe) Each with 1GB discrete DDRS MemoryNorthbridge Chipset: Intel P67 ExpressSouthbridge Chipset: ICH10RLevel 2 Cache: 4 x 256Kb Level 2 CacheLevel 3 Cache: 8MBFront Side Bus: 5 GT/s Mitch

Well, your problem with the low FPS when in cloud is normal to ATI cards. It´s in the way they work. Just switch to nVidia and this problem should be solved. Btw. which card does your old system have?

The ATI is not supporting older shader models I suppose. But if you are saying that you are getting 22-24 fps in FS9 with an i7 2600k that I will not believe as on my Athlon x3 445 3.3 Ghz ATI HD 5450 I pull 60-70 fps in FPS with everything high and REX installed. so i7 the should run like crazy in fs9 infact an overkill. My ATI settings are all high and resolution is 1280x1024. Or am I misunderstanding ? In what area / location and with aircraft or add on are you getting fps drop ? FS9 will not benefit from a multi core CPU it will only utilize one core of it.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hi Ironmaiden, Yes! Trust me I am not over exaggerating the low FPS. Its horrific for this system. I am running 1920 x 1080 native. And yes I do understand FS only sees one core. But my previous system, the Q6600 was also a quad core and blew this new system out of the water in performance. Thats why I mentioned the slow wireless internet connection as well speculating that maybe more is going on here than I know. Mitch

Anything running in the background? Is something downloading, or java updating or AV running? A 6970's not going to cause that much commotion. The recent AMD cards are pretty decent for FSX and 9. Perhaps HT is screwing something up? You could try to disable it in the BIOS.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryanbatcund has mentioned certain procedures like background application and trying turning off HT in the BIOS.

I guess one other thing I can think of is C1E... in another hardware thread a guy was having issues with his K cpu running at 1600mhz, even when FSX was running. I'd download CPUz (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and see what speed the CPU is running, it should be 3400MHz when FSX is running.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guys thanks again. Ryan and thank you as I was hoping you'd jump in here. Yes I do have AVG running in the background but it ran in the background on the old system as well. Are you saying I should enter the Bios and turnoff hyperthreading? And I will download CPUz. Do you know what speed it should be running during FS9? I dont have FSX installed. Mitch

Yes turnoff HT from the BIOS. At what resolution are you using FS9 ?

Iron, Running native 1920 x 1080. Just a thought. This system has two video cards. Each card has (2) individual DVI outputs. Does it matter which card and/or which side of the card I plug into?

Well I am not sure about that. Which cards are these ?

Well I am not sure about that. Which cards are these ?
(2) AMD Radeon HD 6790 Crossfire Video Cards (PCIe) Each with 1GB discrete DDRS Memory
These ones from his spec´s in the very first post.

Are you crossfiring ? FS does not support crossfire. use it in a single mode and check. Thnx Superpilot, I have a bad habit reading posts only half.

Yes, thank you Steffen. Iron, they are: (2) AMD Radeon HD 6790 Crossfire Video Cards (PCIe) Each with 1GB discrete DDRS Memory

Yes, thank you Steffen. Iron, they are: (2) AMD Radeon HD 6790 Crossfire Video Cards (PCIe) Each with 1GB discrete DDRS Memory
Are you cross firing them in FS9 ? Crossfire does not work in FS. try in single mode (non-crossfire) and please check. Try dropping your resolution to 1280x1024 and check again. Use ATI AA and not FS AA. List the area/location you are flying and with any addon like scenery / aircraft it would give some insight in to the problem. Hey you mean on this machine your wi-fi is slow ? and on some other machine the same wi-fi (internet connectivity ) works well ? If that is the case it could a virus or spam.