Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Paint help - chrome in ngx

Rich - the trick to painting chrome is to really push the contrast between reflected colors, from very warm or cool darks to pure white and to keep the edges of colors somewhat hard with only a small amount of blending between colors or a value of one particular color. The other trick to is to analyze pictures of chrome and understand the types of shapes made by the reflections in the chrome. Usually there will be very distinctive shapes of color. You may also want to play around with the intensity of the colors. Unless parts of the engine are in a shadow you should paint with some fairly intense colors, just lighten up on the intensity as the object goes into shadow. You may want to check out this artist's site, he has a few great examples of painting reflections in chrome: www.mschuh.com. Click on the gallery section to see the examples. Hope some of this helps. Pete

Thanks guys let me digest this and see what I can come up with get back to you in a few minutes :)

Rich Sennett

One more thing... It is KEY that you establish the metallic effect using the texture as a base. The spec bitmap only adds to the effect of the base texture. You will need to come up with some polished metal texture (there are tons on the internet that you can sample with), throw that in the base texture then tweak spec to your liking.

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Ok seems like I can't figure this out, I used a very bright alpha and a light blue spec but still get this ?

Rich Sennett

Looks like you need shapes laid over the base pictured above with intense colors (black, blue reflected from the sky, and some of the warm gray from the runway, maybe a reflection of runway markings, a shape or two of a very pale yellow, etc) along with a much brighter white for the reflection or hotspot that Jason explains above. Here's an example of a silver paint job combined with chrome to show the difference between the two (with the Rocky Mountains in the background):

Hi Pete: I understand the reflections spent quite a bit of time on flikr last night looked at a lot of great photos for reflection images to use just not sure what to do with spec and alpha to get the desired result maybe someone could post a picture of what they should look like in photoshop before saving out of dxtbmp, take care.

Rich Sennett

Ok painter pros anyone can figure out how to get chrome on this bird I would really be surprised tried over and over no deal, PMDG any ideas would be appreciated.

Rich Sennett

hehehe I've been tinkering this morning too, Richard. I've had a few promising results. I'll let you know if I hit pay dirt.

Chris Hicks

Marcelo thank you so much keep thinking its me :) Chris thats good news good luck :)

Rich Sennett

Add more color. Like the chrome material mirrors the sky (blue) from above and earth (brown) from below. You could make this quite dark in the main texture paint, the _spec.bmp will add brightnes and color as well. This is how it looks when i added shinyness to the leading edge flaps. Didn't change much to the corresponding spec bmp though. pmdg_737NGX_wings.jpg [edit] This is how it shows in FSX :) 2011-10-21_21-38-50-748.jpg

Works on wing Gerrit but not on intake ring or exhaust, no go.

Rich Sennett

Well working on this all day crazy difficult but exhaust is looking better now still having a hell of a time with the ring around the intake anyway thought I would share. Crap quality shot posted

Rich Sennett