Sign in to follow this  
Nixon

WHEN

I have owned the J41 for almost two years. It's a great plane let down by one unsolved bug: The occasional flickering rectangles in the VC. I understand that PMDG say to select the medium VC in the configuration manager. As a temporary fix thats ok but as Vin posted that on the 1st July 2010 I think that 16 months is rather a long time for a temporary fix especially as it reduces the quality of the product.Tabs also posted on 29th April 2010 saying that SP 2 would be issued soon and would solve this problem. I guess PMDG have a different concept of "soon" from almost anyone else.I have stated in NGX thread re an SP2 for that product, that I would rather have the SP2 for the J41 before the one for the NGX.It's now over 3 months since the release of the NGX and yet there is no news on the J41 service pack. Until this month I have not posted on this matter as I was willing to wait for the NGX etc but now am becoming frustrated at the lack of news.So please PMDG can you tell us if you are working on SP2 for the J41 and if so have you a rough idea of when it will be released. Finally please I hope people will not post on this thread to tell me to be patient as I have been patient up to now.

Reality is the team's probably busy with all the NGX fixes and such.Ryan mentioned recently, there's "nothing preventing" anybody from flying the J41; ie; there isn't any bugs that prevents an individual from using the J41 correctly as there was (for some) regarding the NGX.Unfortunately, those take priority in the big picture I imagine. It's a bummer that one has to forgo the higher quality VC through.The reality is, don't bet on it. It's all dollars and cents right.

Yeah, after all, it is a Light product, and a testbed for the NGX at that.I'm not saying it's acceptable or unacceptable, but something that should be viewed on the larger picture. Just as Patrick mentioned, there are larger hurdles to overcome first in other arenas.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you both for your helpful replies and to paraphrase John McEnroe "You can't be serious". It's good to know that in your opinion I am making a fuss about nothing. If you read my original post you will have noted that I said "Until this month I have not posted on this matter as I was willing to wait for the NGX etc but now am becoming frustrated at the lack of news". My major frustration is that people are posting their requirements for the NGX SP2 and I would prefer PMDG finish the SP2 for the J41 first.I would have thought the big picture should give equal priority to all customers. All I want is PMDG to update us on their plans for the J41.The reality is I spent my pounds and pence on this product and have been waiting almost two years for this service pack.I too own the NGX and the expansion packs and am very happy with that product, therefore am also happy to wait for the NGX SP2

Nixon,...and had you read our posts, you would have seen that we simply stated that PMDG has larger issues to undertake than the SP for the flyable J-41 (as opposed to some still unflyable NGX conditions). Neither of us stated that you were making a fuss, or that your question was inappropriate. I bought the product, too, and would love a service pack sooner, rather than later, but to be honest, I'd rather have an NGX with more functionality. The detractors to the argument that we'd like a great service pack, is that the J-41 went well above what they normally deliver in a Light product, and the issues are cosmetic at their worst.No need to get defensive.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Nixon / GuysI have to agree with Nixon on this one. I purchased the J41 some time ago after reading some great reviews, only to find it (in my opinion) unusable due to the panel bezel problems. This is a great shame and (for me) destroys what is otherwise a brilliant product. I have no wish to upset other posters in this Forum or the PMDG Devs, However, the fact remains that I paid $44.95 for an item that is faulty and does not work as advertised. Further, the Developers were aware of the problem at the time of my purchase, but so far have failed to put the problem right. This is the only PMDG product that I have ever purchased, and I will not be buying anymore of their products until this issue is resolved, and they show some kind of commitment to their J41 customers.Hopefully PMDG will sort this issue soon, Im Sixty years old next January and the clock is ticking.Happy Flightsimming to allKen

Hold on. You can't use the plane because the panel has some marginally discomforting aesthetic issues? How does that violate a promise that it works as advertised. It very clearly works, but it has some issues with certain video cards and user settings that don't agree with certain people. There's a workaround for those with issues, that's been posted. It works cleanly on my system with no bezel issues.What are your AA settings? What's your monitor resolution? What's the FS resolution against the monitor's set res? I have a feeling a lot of these issues are more people's own settings on their computer, though I realize it's a known problem. Sorry for defending the company, but as I've said likely hundreds of times here, as a computer instructor I get to hear the worst accusations all day long, five days a week: "this program isn't working and I'm doing it exactly like you said!!!!!" Sure enough, I go take a look, and it's user error. 100%.I feel, too often here, most problems could be solved through a little research, yet some show up here, flame everyone else (namely PMDG) for a problem with their machine/setup, that's easily fixed with a couple settings changes. This is the price we pay as PC users. Every PC is different, and every PC of the same model likely has different settings by the user. You go out and develop for that and make sure you have 100% success.I'm not saying you don't deserve to have a working aircraft if you paid for it, but if the issue is cosmetic and the thing still functions, I don't see how it's such a huge issue. They're still planning an SP: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/271722-cockpit-bezel-lines/page__view__findpost__p__1696984Like I said earlier, there are certain issues with the NGX that need to be fixed to make the thing flyable/usable. Your cosmetic issues with the workable plane take a back seat to the other users' complete inability to use theirs. You, as users with issues with a product should be able to see that and understand that.While you're waiting, try to make sure you have FSX set up properly. Make sure DX10 is off, AA is set right, and so on.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,What would you suggest is the proper AA setting for an Nvidia card to avoid this problem?Thanks in advance for any advice.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Firstly Kyle am not getting defensive, am being ironic (it's my British sense of humour) My point is simple, I would like the SP2 for the Jetstream before the next SP for the NGX. I have no problems with the NGX but I have had the long standing flashing rectangle problem for almost two years now. You said "cosmetic at worse" I disagree it's unpleasant to use the VC when the rectangles appear and mean that I have to restart my flight. I see that you want improvements to the NGX. OK but the NGX has only been out 3 months and is now a very good product I would have thought you could wait a while whist the J41 is sorted.If on the other hand you are saying that some people still can't use the NGX even after the service pack. Then if that's the case all PMDG need do is reply to my post stating that and then say that they will promptly work on the Jetstream once that problem is sorted. I guess Kyle as a PMDG ###### you find it upsetting to read complaints about them.Hi Ken thanks for your support and as some one of a similar age am at a loss at why people feel they have to defend PMDG.

... Hi Ken thanks for your support and as some one of a similar age am at a loss at why people feel they have to defend PMDG.
Can you tell us why you feel the need to attack PMDG?

Hi Kyle,What would you suggest is the proper AA setting for an Nvidia card to avoid this problem?Thanks in advance for any advice.
In either the General or the NGX subforum, Ryan posted some nvidia settings he uses, at various settings for a better experience. I use the XS settings he mentions, and then ran the Bojote tweak to kill any latent graphic junk in the FSX.cfg. It really depends on your card and drivers, though. Hopefully that'll help, but as gfx cards get more powerful, they also get more complicated to set up and tweak.
I guess Kyle as a PMDG ###### you find it upsetting to read complaints about them.
I'd be defending you, too, if you were a dev, or were supporting some product. If you've ever been on their side of things (as have I, in addition to my computer instruction role), you'd understand. You'll see me telling my family off when they get snippy with the airport staff when we go on holiday as well.I agree that problems should be fixed, but I have a very hard line stance of you have to be very certain it's not an internal issue before blaming external sources.To be honest, the sig is there because someone accused me of it, so I made a joke of it. I see how someone would think I'm blindly following, but come work help desk with me for a few days and you'll see what I mean.

Kyle Rodgers

Paul,when has asking for an update been an attack on PMDG? If you read my posts you will see that I say that both the NGX and the Jetstream are good products. Kyle you are welcome to your hard line stance and am grateful that you have taken time out of your busy life to in a sense tell me off. I will try harder to be a good boy and will wait patiently for an update. I understand that computer experts must get very frustrated at us non experts who are continually messing things up.

Well, we do often make the ridiculous assumption that everyone should waste as much time learning obscure stuff about computers as we have. I'll give you that. So, yes, we get frustrated really easily when that assumption doesn't turn out true, and no, that's not always right.I will say, though, that the most frustrating is the assumption that it's not the individual's fault (or a fault of their machine). Since that idea is so pervasive here, it's driven me to be ever-more jaded on the subject, thus my reaction.I see your frustration. I do. I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't have an issue, which is probably why I further dismiss it as a config issue, because I've seen it work properly, given the same code. In any case, if something doesn't work, it should be fixed. In the case of developers, they don't have your computer sitting in front of them, so making sure it works on your machine is a impossibility, without having ever worked with it. Does that warrant a SP when they figure it out? Yes. Does that mean you can't try some things on your own in the mean time? No. That's all I'm saying. If the same code works on my comp, but it doesn't work on yours, it's a config issue between the boxes. I'm not absolving them of the idea that they should strengthen the code to sidestep the config issue (as they've acknowledged it's an issue). I'm just saying that it's not fully their fault as it does actually work.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle as I understand it many people have the flashing rectangular box issue. PMDG have accepted that it's an issue so I assume that it's not down to individual config problems. In my first post I pointed out that Tabs said on 29th April 2010 that the SP would be issued soon. I just want an update as it's now over 18 months since we were told soon.As the problem only happens when I load the plane at complex add on airports I normally fly out of smaller regional airports. So I have been working around the problem for 18 months. I was happy to wait for the release of the NGX and also for the first service pack and as I said earlier I think that the NGX is a great add on. If people are still unable to fly the NGX I am also happy to wait until that issue is sorted. My concern is that then the 777 will become a priority and the Jetstream service pack will slip further into the distance.So in summary am just asking that PMDG inform us of the current situation regarding the Jetstream.With regard to your comment concerning computer configuration I accept in the general sense it could be a major factor in a lot of reported problems, but without knowledge of an individual's set up it's surely not possible to immediately assume that is the only reason for an issue to arise. I must admit I get annoyed when people on this forum have a go at others when they are not in possession of all the facts. May I add Kyle I do not include you in that comment as we have shared an interesting dialogue. I now have a better understanding how those of who you have more of an interest in computers than I have feel and I think you can see how people like me can find the whole process frustrating. ;

May I add Kyle I do not include you in that comment as we have shared an interesting dialogue. I now have a better understanding how those of who you have more of an interest in computers than I have feel and I think you can see how people like me can find the whole process frustrating.
I know very well how frustrating computers can be since I work with them every day. I'm just stubborn enough to continue tinkering to fix problems. I'd consider that more of a fault than an asset, but I guess it gets things working in the end. I definitely see where you're coming from, and I definitely see your points.Many people do have the issue you mention, so it's definitely something that can be fixed through the code (doesn't seem to be a problem on their other products, too, so what happened?), but I guess I just pointed out that it also works on other peoples' machines to say it's not entirely their fault. It's also a valid worry that the new revenue-generating product could continue to distract them from the SP. Issues on my machine or not, I hope that's not the case.

Kyle Rodgers