Sign in to follow this  
Gramps ZA

Touching brakes cause unknown drag-why?

When I start taxing and touch the brakes the aircraft needs in excess of 40% of thrust to keep taxing when the brakes are released. If I use the parking brake and release it I have no problem,it seems that the brakes are binding although they are fully released ,help...

Try recalibrating them & possibly make a small dead-zone

The red brakes text message doesn't actually appear on screen until the brakes have been applied a few percent, so it's actually possible for you to have them dragging slightly even with your feet off the pedals if they are not calibrated properly.

Cheers, Andy.

Shannon,I have this problem too... I attribute it to the old age of my ancient CHProducts pedals, and my work-arounds work well enough for me not to spend any more time finding a solution (I've tried increasing the null zone, and I typically recalibrate the pedals before every flight anyway). The brakes will reset to 0% if you toggle the parking brake. Manage momentum carefully, and try to avoid brake application during taxi. In the NGX, you actually decelerate pretty quickly at idle (F1) thrust. After landing, I usually spam "Ctrl + ." then "." as lightning fast as I can when I want to rid myself of that tiny residual application of braking.Not exactly the ideal solution... but hopefully it's a little more information than you started with.-Tony

Just curious, are either of you running your pedals through a USB hub? If so, try plugging them diretly to your pc. Could be intermittent low amplitude spikes... I know with saitek if things don't get enough power they get noisy. Stands to reason both manufacturers may be getting their pots from the same cheap vendor.

Shannon,I have this problem too... I attribute it to the old age of my ancient CHProducts pedals, and my work-arounds work well enough for me not to spend any more time finding a solution (I've tried increasing the null zone, and I typically recalibrate the pedals before every flight anyway). The brakes will reset to 0% if you toggle the parking brake. Manage momentum carefully, and try to avoid brake application during taxi. In the NGX, you actually decelerate pretty quickly at idle (F1) thrust. After landing, I usually spam "Ctrl + ." then "." as lightning fast as I can when I want to rid myself of that tiny residual application of braking.Not exactly the ideal solution... but hopefully it's a little more information than you started with.-Tony
I will try your solution thanks
Just curious, are either of you running your pedals through a USB hub? If so, try plugging them diretly to your pc. Could be intermittent low amplitude spikes... I know with saitek if things don't get enough power they get noisy. Stands to reason both manufacturers may be getting their pots from the same cheap vendor.
Yes I am running the saitek through a hub. I will plug in directly and try tonight again,thanks

Might also want to use the maxiumum sensitivity level for the pedals. This helps too.

Might also want to use the maxiumum sensitivity level for the pedals. This helps too.
Oh,I had it the opposite will try tonight ,thanks

You know what, Ken - I sure am running it through a hub. I think this little anomaly predates my USB hub, but I'll make a few swaps and stick it straight into the PC anyway! The curious thing is that it's the same residual drop of brake application every time - it's very reliable. So reliable, in fact, that I actually use it sometimes on landing in the -700 when I'm pretending it's a BBJ - I'll just press the pedals on approach, with Autobrakes 0, and use that tiny amount of application that sticks (and some light reverse) to slow down gently. (Still - I'd certainly rather solve the problem than use it on landing, haha)-Tony

Sorry for bringing this up again, but did you finally find a solution? I have the same problem..

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Yeah I've had this problem for years. Drives me nuts having to apply the parking brake like that all the time.

Noah Bryant

Well I found that prior to taxi switching the autobrakes from RTO to OFF (and back if you like) also solves the problem.. until the next toe brake application.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team