Sign in to follow this  
TurboTomato

Long shot - ai traffic takeoff roar

Strangely my ai traffic sound seems to have stopped working, but just when ai a/c are taking off. Previously you could sit in line waiting to take off and you'd get a definite roar from each a/c as it begins its full thrust takeoff roll, but now they seem to be quiet as a mouse!Other sounds from them seem to be fine - startup spool, in flight, taxiing etc - just not that satisfying takeoff roar. Any ideas? I'm aware from reading posts that a/c have 'sound cones' so perhaps something has been altered and they're not correct? Or perhaps a missing sound file? I've looked at the sound.cfg files in the SimObjects folder and they seem to reference an alias I can't find, so perhaps that's it?This is all with JustFlight's Traffic X. I have tried re-installing but to no avail.

The first thing to check is do you have SP1 installed for Traffic X? Just Flight's website refers to SP1 fixing some sound issues.

Yes, Traffic X SP1 on there as well. Seemed to be about the time I installed REX 2.0 OD as well - I realise that may be the obvious culprit but I can't see how that would affect the sound of JF Traffic X and now that I have a load of settings that I'm happy with on REX I'm loathe to remove it.

Ok. I had a problem with TrafficX sound on my old system - when I switched to an outside view, or to a menu, then back to cockpit view, sound would often become very muted. I'd have to switch back and forth between cockpit and outside views a few times before normal volume was resumed. But that doesn't sound the same as your problem does it?(I got so fed up with that I ended up removing TrafficX sounds and reverting to the default AI sounds. Have only just loaded Traffic X onto my new system today, am yet to see if the problem re-surfaces).

So how did you remove the TrafficX sounds to go back to default AI? Did you fiddle about with the sound.cfg files in the SimObjects/Airplanes/TrafficX etc folders, or something else? There doesn't seem to be any option relating to sound in the Traffic Control Center.Maybe my problem is similar to yours on your old system - I always start from the gate and taxi from an external view so perhaps me switching to the external view straight away does it?

I simply renamed the folder SimObjectsTrafficXJFAI-AllAircraftTrafficX_Sounds out of the way. Given all the Traffic X aircraft have soundai.cfg files that point into that dir, I was expecting silence, but actually I got plenty of noise, maybe a bit too loud at times, but at least it was a consistent level without the previous loss of sound problem. I was assuming it must have fallen back to the default ai sounds, but now looking at this again I'm wondering if it was falling back on the sound.cfg which points to e.g. JFAI-AllAircraftsound.jet.Anyway, why not give it a go and see if that helps your problem, you can always rename the folder back again.

You might find this useful: I don't use any default AI sound files on my system. What I did was go out on the Internet and find real-sound packages for most of my AI aircraft models. Then, I installed a soundai folder containing a pointer configuration file - soundai.cfg. In that config file I placed a sound alias statement:[FLTSIM]alias=..AI Sounds PackSimObjectsMiscTraffic_SoundsJetsB733-4-5-6-7-8-9 RDsoundaiAs you can see, the alias points to a sound package in my SimObjects folder AND to a sound.cfg (here labeled (soundai). That config file is in with the actual sound files (*.wav). Actually, the soundai.cfg file is just the regular sound.cfg file that came with the original sound package renamed to match the alias statement.I don't know if this works on everyone's PC, but on mine I have different aircraft sounds for (obviously) for different aircraft. In the example above, the sound package applies to all models of the Boeing B737 (I downloaded that package from the AVSIM site). I also have different sound packages for aircraft that have, for example, GE or IAE engines. They do sound different. There are even sound packages for Russian aircraft.Anyway, give it a shot. This might work for you.Frank

I had a problem with TrafficX sound on my old system - when I switched to an outside view, or to a menu, then back to cockpit view, sound would often become very muted. I'd have to switch back and forth between cockpit and outside views a few times before normal volume was resumed.(I got so fed up with that I ended up removing TrafficX sounds and reverting to the default AI sounds. Have only just loaded Traffic X onto my new system today, am yet to see if the problem re-surfaces).
I no longer get this problem on my new machine - my own engine noise is no longer getting muted by other sounds.[sorry Turbo, none of which helps with your originally reported problem I guess]

No worries - it all adds to our understanding of how FSX works, so no bad thing!Right, I tried many things over the weekend - another reinstall of TrafficX, firstly without the service pack, and then with, but still nothing. So then I tried removing 'SimObjectsTrafficXJFAI-AllAircraftTrafficX_Sounds' from the FSX folder but that made no difference. I tried copy and pasting some of the sounds I have downloaded for the default 738 into 'SimObjectsTrafficXJFAI-AllAircraftTrafficX_SoundsA320' (or whatever it's called) and renaming the sound.cfg to soundai.cfg but still no luck. I noticed that the standard sounds that TrafficX puts in this folder are in .CAB files, so I was wondering if this made any difference? Perhaps something to do with Win7 not having permissions to extract the CAB files on the fly?Perhaps if I went down the route of simply trying to replace the AI sounds with something I use with the default aircraft (which I've got some good sounds for) I may be successful but having started to try to do that I've not had any luck. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?I used the TrafficX spotter and they all sound like electric cars as they take off now!