Sign in to follow this  
cmeeks

Photoscenery Coastlines

Impressive that both of you are doing this. I started using FSET as a suppliment to sbuilderx and love it. I already have gigs of source data dled and had thought about just what you guys are doing. I'm with Corey, photoscenery is addicting, especially ultra high resolution source. It's like discovering parts of the world you have never been to.
This should be in the form of a poll - pick one:Sand Dunes:Fullscreen%2520capture%252011202011%252045222%2520PM.jpgPhoto Textures:10%252C000%2520FT.jpg

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

LOL, you forgot, the sand dunes have trees and houses on them, LOL.Corey, thanks for the examples. Unlike you, I am low and slow flyer, so high resolution below 2000ft is important, good thing I got lots of HD space.man, I would pay a few hundred for the entire FS world in 1ft per pixel photoscenery (FSX default is 1 m/per pixel) of consistent quality. I tried the simsavvy examples and the quality is hit or miss at best which is too bad.

Best, Michael

KDFW

man, I would pay a few hundred for the entire FS world in 1ft per pixel photoscenery (FSX default is 1 m/per pixel) of consistent quality. I tried the simsavvy examples and the quality is hit or miss at best which is too bad.
I originally got Simsavvy, but the variation in colours, and lack of coastal water masks, made me resolve to do my own.I have used FSET with Yahoo and now have all the USA in LOD3, complete with coastal watermasks. I've now done most of Europe at LOD3 with Google/Bing. Currently doing Canada and Greenland, but having to use Bing satellite photos because photographic quality from anywhere is patchy, and while it's a bit blurry at least the colours are consistent.

Petraeus

Hello everyone.I was thinking about doing the same thing that you guys are doing, and a Search pointed me to this topic.I hope this does not sidetrack / threadjack this topic, if it does I apologize.A while back, during Fly!II, a number of us combined efforts to create scenery for the sim. That was on a different scale, but I have a question. Would it be practical to combine and or exchange data to accomplish the task? I am thinking about USA for now. I live on the West Coast and that is where I intended to get started.Since I am new at this I would like to get your input / feedback as to what some of the issues with this type of project may be? Resolution? Day / Night? Storage? Frame rate hit? etc.The issues that came up in the past, with Fly!, were the different tastes in color, resolution, people wanting to sell / profit, but we all agreed to a standard that satisfied everyone.The way we could accomplish this is to exchange data between us, I would not mind paying for other's efforts.@Petraeus, can you post a pic. above KSNA at abut 1000Ft. on a 270 heading?Thank you, everyone. TV

Using FSET things cannot be sold.Are you thinking about this for FS04 or FSX?Resolution for the USA is not a problem, but depending on what you want to end up with, storage space and the time it takes for processing can be high.I don't do the night or seasons textures in FSET.I too am almost done with the USA at LOD3.

Hi."Using FSET things cannot be sold."That's good. I don't mind spending time trying to build freeware, it's when some people want to sell it that I would prefer to stay out of it. I don't mind paying between ourselves but Commercial is not something I get involved in."Are you thinking about this for FS04 or FSX?"At this point FSX."Resolution for the USA is not a problem, but depending on what you want to end up with, storage space and the time it takes for processing can be high."I have 3 fairly good systems, at least 2 that can work most of time on that task."I don't do the night or seasons textures in FSET."Most of my VFR is during Dusk, Aug 12 19:35."I too am almost done with the USA at LOD3."Is there a huge difference, visually, between the two LOD 1 and 3 at low altitudes? I only sim low and slow VFR, or IMC 1/2 SM vis., but night texture would be desired. I got Sim Savvy and it looks good around my area, SoCal, but no night.How difficult would it be to get night? Thanks. TV

Yes there is a big difference for VFR at low altitudes.FSET has a night option. but I don't care for the way it looks compared to UTX.You seem pretty interested, so dload FSET and give things a try in your area and see what you think.

Hi Jim."...so dload FSET and give things a try in your area and see what you think."I did. I like the way it looks during the day, I will have to find a way to get the lights to show up. Maybe build a transparent layer, and have the MSFS show under it? That may not look good during the day time? I will have to get more into it and see what can be done.Can you dload unsupervised? TV

There is a night setting for FSET in the .ini file.Yes, though I am not sure what you mean? Can I set a large area and let things run like overnight? Yep!

Hi."Can I set a large area and let things run like overnight? Yep!"Yes, that is part of it. Can we get the Raw data first then compile it? I used to have some old CDs somewhere, not sure of the resolution, and we passed that along and each one of us worked on different areas. TV

Edited by Avcomware

Well, Petraeus is done with the US and I am 3/4 of the way. What makes your suggestion hard is the way that FSET IDs the areas using lat and long.

Hi."What makes your suggestion hard is the way that FSET IDs the areas using lat and long."I am not sure how this works, the program we used was TerraScene that was able to generate compile after we dloaded the data. Fly Legacy is starting again, I will try to see if the old data / same(old) procedure is good for it? TV