Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

How are you rendering xplane10?

Thanks got it. And then here's my issue (without nvidia profile) but with in game AF set to 16x and AA set to 8x, NO HDR.Psychedelic no?
Groovy!Strange colors in X Plane are usually attributed to an OpenGL error.

Hmm, I would rather say, those strange color errors are not so much basic OpenGL (in the sense of "basic" 3D operations) but rather shader errors (the sugar on the cake). Its because the shaders are doing a lot of "tricks" to the textures, which, if there is a bug (either in the X-Plane code or the driver), can result in very funny colors (I know this, because I have already seen similar effects quite early in the development process of XP10 - on Nvidia hardware + Linux).What could possibly be a short term "quick fix" is, to try disabling "gritty detail textures" or "3D bump-maps" ... and see if that helps.BUT, also I see, Ben and Austin have released the first patch, and they state:

Artifacts:- A number of artifacts in HDR mode are fixed.
So, try the update first.Then if the update doesn't help you will need to file a bug report to the X-Plane support. If you do that, please try my tip about the two rendering settings! If one of them "fixes" the artifacts, PLEASE write that in the bug report too (as informations like this can immensely speed up the search for the problem - by narrowing it down).(and also add screenshot, Log.txt, Rendering settings, Hardware + OS specs etc. .. as much factual info as possible).

Great suggestions Andras- and amazing work on xplane's world might I add! I'm finding the terrain ultra detailed and some of the textures superb. Can't wait to see the rest of the world, although it'll take me long enough to explore this 'little' part of the US.

I am starting to get good fps but some things I am unsure how to deal with. Here is my render settings. When running in full screen as set I get ~ 45 dropping to 30 at times. I am now running windowed mode at around 3840x1080 and I get more consistentely 40-50 fps. If I turn off aa/AF and turn on HDR I get reasonable frames !25 but I can't live with the AA. It's just not up to scratch compared to the 8x or 16x option available without HDR. On my 42" screens the AA is fine without HDR but too many jaggies with it and FXAA. I am not sure which option would make the airport render parts from further away, for example the fuel silos dont have rails on the top until flying quite close and then they 'appear' which is distracting. Same with planes on the ground. I reckon I have the spare FPS to have them draw at a longer distance but I though my existing setting would cover that stuff from a few hundred feet away. I have taken to my old trick of not running full screen but running windowed mode with it spanning the middle monitor and only the inside half of my side monitors. I can get a lot less pixels to calculate while still getting the surround feeling. Also it bumps my fov down to 130 deg which is the actual fov I have with the 3 42" monitors when I only use half the sides, so that is a lot less to render as well. Anyway, so far it is going OK but I wouldn't mind advise on how to stop those near objects just popping up. btw my pc is an i5 2500k@4.5 8 gig ram , ati 6970 and two ssd's.

I am starting to get good fps but some things I am unsure how to deal with. Here is my render settings. When running in full screen as set I get ~ 45 dropping to 30 at times. I am now running windowed mode at around 3840x1080 and I get more consistentely 40-50 fps. If I turn off aa/AF and turn on HDR I get reasonable frames !25 but I can't live with the AA. It's just not up to scratch compared to the 8x or 16x option available without HDR. On my 42" screens the AA is fine without HDR but too many jaggies with it and FXAA. I am not sure which option would make the airport render parts from further away, for example the fuel silos dont have rails on the top until flying quite close and then they 'appear' which is distracting. Same with planes on the ground. I reckon I have the spare FPS to have them draw at a longer distance but I though my existing setting would cover that stuff from a few hundred feet away. I have taken to my old trick of not running full screen but running windowed mode with it spanning the middle monitor and only the inside half of my side monitors. I can get a lot less pixels to calculate while still getting the surround feeling. Also it bumps my fov down to 130 deg which is the actual fov I have with the 3 42" monitors when I only use half the sides, so that is a lot less to render as well. Anyway, so far it is going OK but I wouldn't mind advise on how to stop those near objects just popping up. btw my pc is an i5 2500k@4.5 8 gig ram , ati 6970 and two ssd's.
Try texture resolution on extreme and set the display resolution to "same as monitor". AA is a real FPS muncher. Try it at 4x.Just curious at your gamma. Is there any reason you have it set so high? Default is 2.5. At 3.6, it would look way too bright.

Try texture resolution on extreme and set the display resolution to "same as monitor". AA is a real FPS muncher. Try it at 4x.Just curious at your gamma. Is there any reason you have it set so high? Default is 2.5. At 3.6, it would look way too bright.
Thanks Goran. Yes, I have had texture resolution on extreme usually. I just turned it down before taking that shot as I was turning off compression and I wasn't sure if it would be too much. I actually forgot to check how much ram was being used after that. The 6970 has 2gb so hopefully it will be ok without compression at extreme. I am lucky with AA, I am only noticing a couple of frames dropping from 1x to 16x but not much difference between 8x and 16x visually. Even though 8 and 16 looked similar I left it at 16 because the frames didn't really seem to change. The trouble with the her was I then only have two options for aa and neither look nearly as good as 8x aa that is available with HDR off. E game is just an arbitrary value because I have not played with it. By default it looked too dark for me so I turned it up but I can probably find a sweet spot a bit lower.

Thanks Goran. Yes, I have had texture resolution on extreme usually. I just turned it down before taking that shot as I was turning off compression and I wasn't sure if it would be too much. I actually forgot to check how much ram was being used after that. The 6970 has 2gb so hopefully it will be ok without compression at extreme. I am lucky with AA, I am only noticing a couple of frames dropping from 1x to 16x but not much difference between 8x and 16x visually. Even though 8 and 16 looked similar I left it at 16 because the frames didn't really seem to change. The trouble with the her was I then only have two options for aa and neither look nearly as good as 8x aa that is available with HDR off. E game is just an arbitrary value because I have not played with it. By default it looked too dark for me so I turned it up but I can probably find a sweet spot a bit lower.
If it runs well, then that's brilliant. A bit of a tip. Once you find your sweet spot, copy your preferences folder and zip it somewhere safe. That way, if you ever lose your preferences, or on the off chance you have to delete them (the same as deleting the FSX.cfg file and letting FSX rebuild it.) all you have to do is unzip your original preferences folder and drop it back into your x plane folder. All your original preferences will be restored. Including Joystick and key assignments.

HDR an AA ... Please re-read my information about this on the first page of the thread (but i repeat it here):

• If HDR is turned on, the AA settings on top left are irrelevant! HDR enables the "deferred rendering" draw path, which needs a completely different approach to AA, than you would achieve with the "usual" techniques. This deferred rendering technique is not unique to X-Plane (but is used by many state of the art games!), and has some advantages and disadvantages. See the Wikipedia article on this http://en.wikipedia....eferred_shading (they are telling it too)
    ... due to separating the lighting stage from the geometric stage, hardware anti-aliasing does not produce correct results any more: although the first pass used when rendering the basic properties (diffuse, normal etc.) can use anti-aliasing, it's not until full lighting has been applied that anti-alias is needed. One of the usual techniques to overcome this limitation is using edge detection on the final image and then applying blur over the edges[4], however recently more advanced post-process edge-smoothing techniques have been developed, such as MLAA[5] (used in Killzone 3 and Dragon Age 2, among others), FXAA[6] (used in Crysis 2, FEAR 3, Duke Nukem Forever), SRAA[7], DLAA[8] (used in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II), post MSAA (used in Crysis 2 as default anti-aliasing solution). ...

So, this is a trade-off of using HDR and will be a question of taste, what you prefer. All the nice lighting/shader etc. bonus with HDR, or hardware AA ...

Hi Andras, yes, I know they re not available, I just wish the two options that are available with HDR did as good a job of taming the jaggies.

So it wasn't my gtx560 then? I find the base HDR AA too jaggy too. Plus the strange wobbly effects, are they the artifacts that ben is addressing? It looks like a real hot shimmering day on my pc

Aahh, the wobbly effects. I noticed them and didn't like them at all but they were not always there. Now I know they must have only been there while trying hdr. I put it down to the low fps but I guess not.

Hi Andras, yes, I know they re not available, I just wish the two options that are available with HDR did as good a job of taming the jaggies.
The problem lies down in the way this "deferred rendering" tech works ... and it allows no simple solutions. As you can see in the quote I have above: quite prominent games are all struggling to find a nice looking alternative to hardware AA. And yes,you can have really nice results, but the price would be too high. The FSAA4 option is exactly going in that direction ... it is the expensive, full scene anti-aliasing, which needs to render the image n-times the resolution of your screen (for FSAA4 it needs to double the resolution ... FSAA16 would need it be quadrupled!). Which can become quite expensive, quite quickly ... thats why all the 3D developers try to come up with "cheaper" trick-AAs :-) (like the FXAA, MLAA, DLAA ... etc. etc.).

Thanks got it. And then here's my issue (without nvidia profile) but with in game AF set to 16x and AA set to 8x, NO HDR.Psychedelic no?ingamerender8x.jpg
8 hours bottle to throttle...i don't know the time limit on lsd/acid though...but I'd say you're not waiting long enough...