Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Where I stand with XP10

Well, same procedure as with every new version of a sim that comes out. High expectation followed by disillusion. In my case 3 year old harware is the problem. I'm able to run XP9 with nice rendering options and good fps and it's looking nice. Playing with the XP10 demo I have to turn down all options to get tolerable fps. The result does not llok to good to me. The "scenery" looks very nice and is a big improvement, but if you turn down the rendering options it looks very artificial compared to XP9.Nevertheless I think XP10 is a very good sim and as soon I can afford new hardware I'm in for the full version.Time told me that it's better to wait at least one year after a new version is out, get your high end hardware then and you'll have fun...

The A2A Cub (and A2A in general) is one of the main reasons I won't be giving up on FSX anytime soon.Open to finding X-Plane equivalents, though.
You might want to check out :http://shadetreemicro.com/aircraft/husky_files/husky.shtmlA fun-to-fly and nicely equipped detailed tail dragger. I would imagine the airfoil file would need the up conversion to XP10. Once I get the demo running I'll see if it still works ok.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

You might want to check out :http://shadetreemicr...les/husky.shtmlA fun-to-fly and nicely equipped detailed tail dragger. I would imagine the airfoil file would need the up conversion to XP10. Once I get the demo running I'll see if it still works ok.
HelloLooks quite nice, but nowhere near the level of the A2A products as far as systems simulation is concerned.In the FSX world it would be "average"

I'm not sure what you mean by systems simulation not being up to par.It's a "stick and rudder" airframe that Alan_A was looking for within XP that might be comparable to flying the Cub.For "systems simulation" you would be looking along the lines of the XP CRJ. Apples and oranges right?

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

@TedG,With all due respect, I own that plane and it's not even close to the A2A's Piper Cub.The Cub with Accusim is in a league of it's own.And I'm a die-hard XP fan.@Alan,Have you tried the Stinson it's in the demo, it's the plane I use for the Cub's replacement. No "Accusim" but flies nice.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

@TedG,With all due respect, I own that plane and it's not even close to the A2A's Piper Cub.The Cub with Accusim is in a league of it's own.
No worries at all. It was a simple recommendation for an enjoyable tail dragger within XP.....not remotely a comparison to an FSX product.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

@Ted,As Alan is a Die-Hard A2A person (I am also), I have found the Stinson to be a very close comparison to the Cub.I also enjoy the Husky, it is another great tail-dragger.After re-reading my post, I should've just recommended the Stinson, my bad.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

I'd have to agree with Vet-that Cessna does not show off Xplane at all...and anyone who has flown one will be turned off.
After spending some time yesterday messing with my joystick settings, I have things feeling pretty good now. I can fly (mostly) straight and level with hands-off, and I can put the plane on the runway without undue difficulty, so X-Plane is becoming more enjoyable.While I appreciate the amount of customization available in X-Plane, I think it would be beneficial for Laminar to define some good generic settings to make a better impression "out of the box".

I'm digging the rain effects. They're very smooth and don't destroy my frames like in XP9. Try a fly by (shift+2) in the rain. Neat! Drops appear to be vector drawn in 3d, and not a streaked texture drawn on a cylinder. I haven't yet had a chance to fly anything with a 3D obj prop disc. Can anyone confirm if they still cut holes in the background clouds?