Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Where I stand with XP10

I actually like the X-plane UI. At first Ithought it was not good either - just not as polished as FSX. BUT, it is so much easier to use, quicker. And I only use it for setup, etc anyway - so I'd prefer the developers put their time into the simulator and not worry about the UI.X-plane does not register itself, so you can move it around as much as you want on your hard drives. Custom content is really easy to install - just plonk it into the custom folder and it loads. Aircraft are all self-contained folders - no need to remember to install sound over here, and effects over there, etc. Plonk the aircraft folder anywhere you want actually - it doens't matter.Plugins are the same - just drop them into the resources/plugins folder and your done.Joysticks are really easy to configure. I have seven controllers and three Goflight modules) - all seven can be configured on the same screen simply by pressing a controller's button and then selecting the operaiton for it. X-plane will accept mulitple buttons assigned to the same assignment (if you want). Axis assignments are the same method.Switching betwene night and day takes seconds - no need to reload any textures as it is all done by lighting - so day does creep nicely into night when flying - very smooth.finally, the fluidity of the instruments really makes it feel good.I switched over to X-plane a couple years ago after severla years on FSX. Yes I missed the huge thrid party support, I missed Radar Contact and FS Passengers, but I didn't miss the stutters, the terrain forming in front of me, the blurred textures and the non-fluid instruments, and the annoying way FSX assigns default settings to every controller I connect., oh and the way many joystick commands are hidden (like taxi-lights).

I'm a real world C172R and C172S pilot. I don't have a huge number of hours (I have just over 160) but I agree that the default control settings in X-Plane 10 are way too sensitive, as they were in X-Plane 9 with the default settings. I have not attempted to adjust them yet, but I was able to get X-Plane 9's C172 to feel more realistic by turning the sensitivty down on the roll and pitch. I'll have to play with it more and see what I can do. Unfortunately X-Plane 10 crashed on me after I switched back to the 747 and it lost all of my joystick assignments so I have to start from scratch again. At least I assume it was a result of the crash.Unfortunately 10 minutes at a time is too little to get very deep in this "demo". It's really annoying because half that time was spent setting up the joystick assignments. And I really hate that a permament message box appears that you can't close once the 10 minutes expires. Okay, you've disabled all ability to control the aircraft, but at least let me look around the cockpit without something blocking 25% of my display! This is not how you should do a demo. A better demo would be to let you fly all you want but restrict you to 10 square miles. I can't even put this thing through it's paces in 10 minutes. I've bought X-Plane 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, but I am still on the fence for 10. I hate to say it, but I think I still prefer FSX.
Click and drag the box out of the way.EDIT: My bad. Can't click and drag.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

I wasn't too happy at first either,followed the blog advice and ive ordered the full version.I dont have a fast pc but i keep the screen resolution down to 1024*768,using it on an ips panel touchscreen monitor so i can see a fair bit of the new graphics effects. I think it's a tremendous effort :-)

Glad you had a nice flight.One of the big things you'll notice over time with XP (besides it growing on you), is that it is consistently being updated, this is the norm.Most all the problems you've come across will be fixed for sure. Give it time.Thanks for giving XP a chance! You just have to be willing to put in some time.The ATC works for me.Try KSEA!Also, download the manual here: http://www.x-plane.c...ktop_manual.pdfThe manual in the Demo doesn't have the ATC in it. Go to pages 61-62.The ATC acts like real world, you have to enter in the right frequencies first!
If you could detail how you got atc to work it might be useful. I filed a flight plan from ksea to kbfi, then tuned in atis which was fine except atis should give you the clearance delivery frequency which it doesn't. Then I switch to the ksea clnc delivery frequency of 128.0 to pick up my clearance and only get the flight plan box. Any help appreciated...Does one have to have ai enabled? (I turned mine off for higher performance because I really don't care about ai).

You request:startup from Deliverytaxi from GroundOn holding position you advise "ready for departure", and are then (sometimes earlier) handed over to TowerTower gives takeoff cleareance (the "RfD" is the implicit request for T/O clearance, but the word "takeoff" is NEVER used except for the T/O clearance itself and its required readback.)When airborne, tower may hand you off to Departure, if there is one, of to the appropriate Center of FIS.Smaller controlled airports may have only Tower, which then handles, approach, landing, ground movements, takeoff and departure. Startup there is usually at your own discretion.Geofa,Here's a post I've been following and it works for me!http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=55051

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

@Ryan,I'm also using Nvidia Inspector with the same profile I had used for FSX, and have nice visuals.Also, have you purchased any pay-ware aircraft for XPlane?
What are your profile settings?I've not purchased any payware... don't want to unless I buy the full version.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

@Ryan, Read back a few I answered bob with what I'm using.

"It's ALL about Flying"

Click and drag the box out of the way.
You can't. At least I can't when running in Linux. The nag-box is stuck in place and can be neither moved nor minimized.

You can't. At least I can't when running in Linux. The nag-box is stuck in place and can be neither moved nor minimized.
Yeah, I just edited my post. I honestly thought it was possible.I'll just go back in my box now.

LOL Goran,Go finish MY DC-3.... im Not Worthy.gif

"It's ALL about Flying"

@Ryan,Read back a few I answered bob with what I'm using.
I had something similar - but I'll try yours

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You request:startup from Deliverytaxi from GroundOn holding position you advise "ready for departure", and are then (sometimes earlier) handed over to TowerTower gives takeoff cleareance (the "RfD" is the implicit request for T/O clearance, but the word "takeoff" is NEVER used except for the T/O clearance itself and its required readback.)When airborne, tower may hand you off to Departure, if there is one, of to the appropriate Center of FIS.Smaller controlled airports may have only Tower, which then handles, approach, landing, ground movements, takeoff and departure. Startup there is usually at your own discretion.Geofa,Here's a post I've been following and it works for me!http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=55051
Yep done that-just keep getting the flight plan box...