Sign in to follow this  
RickB1293

Side step manuever during IMC approach

While making an ILS approach to KMSP runway 12L ATC assigned a parallel approach to 12R with a "side step" to 12L.What is the proper procedure for a side step approach and where is it initiated in the approach?

Check visual on 12L. Turn left, intercept the runway 12L's extended centerline (turning right in the process). Fly towards 12L while descending. Hit runway with lesser vertical speed than more.

Kyle Rodgers

The circling minimums apply unless there is a separate one listed for the side step. You are still IFR and must observe the minima, and don't loose sight or airfield once you have it.

Dan Downs KCRP

We do sidesteps alot in YVR and it's never done in IMC conditions. It may be conducted during an IFR approach but only done once control has been taken by the tower and the aircraft has the airfield in sight and is willing to transition visually.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

We do sidesteps alot in YVR and it's never done in IMC conditions. It may be conducted during an IFR approach but only done once control has been taken by the tower and the aircraft has the airfield in sight and is willing to transition visually.
Exactly. A sidestep maneuver will not be initiated while IMC. So DA/DH>Runway environment in sight begin maneuver if it can be done in a safe manner using normal descent. Sidestep minimums must be published to use a sidestep maneuver. Otherwise it's a circling approach, per se. Throw in whatever part 121/company regulations I'm not familiar with as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I think the 7110 (ATC bible) allows the sidestep terminology for IFR approach not VFR (visual approach is an IFR approach). I haven't looked at the book in years, might be wrong here.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think the 7110 (ATC bible) allows the sidestep terminology for IFR approach not VFR (visual approach is an IFR approach). I haven't looked at the book in years, might be wrong here.
That's absolutely correct. Why would you get a visual approach and then sidestep (that wouldn't make much sense)?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I have received side step requests from tower on short final due to traffic on runway, my other option was a go around.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have received side step requests from tower on short final due to traffic on runway, my other option was a go around.
Perhaps in the way of an off the cuff maneuver for unexpected traffic on the runway, but never when VFR and on a visual approach. We're talking about the IFR Sidestep Maneuver, as defined in the FARs (the one the OP asked about).

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

That's absolutely correct. Why would you get a visual approach and then sidestep (that wouldn't make much sense)?
Blown spacing. Happens at IAD every once in a while. Some yahoo comes trucking in, and S-turns won't cut it, so they step them over. It is valid on a visual approach, but will not be included in the phraseology for the approach clearance:Approach, United 962 has the field.United 962, cleared visual approach runway 1R. Contact tower on 120.1.Over to tower, United 962.Tower, United 962 inbound visual 1R.United 962, Dulles tower sidestep runway 1C, wind 360 at 9, runway 1C cleared to land.On an instrument approach, it would be issued as part of the approach clearance.United 962, 5 SE MOSBY, turn right heading 340, maintain 3000, cleared ILS runway 1R approach, sidestep runway 1C. (Actually, as MOSBY is the fix mentioned here, the actual phraseology in the case of IAD - more than 1200' between the runways - would be 'circle to land runway 1C').As you can see, there are slight variations depending on the situation.

Kyle Rodgers

Blown spacing. Happens at IAD every once in a while. Some yahoo comes trucking in, and S-turns won't cut it, so they step them over. It is valid on a visual approach, but will not be included in the phraseology for the approach clearance:Approach, United 962 has the field.United 962, cleared visual approach runway 1R. Contact tower on 120.1.Over to tower, United 962.Tower, United 962 inbound visual 1R.United 962, Dulles tower sidestep runway 1C, wind 360 at 9, runway 1C cleared to land.On an instrument approach, it would be issued as part of the approach clearance.United 962, 5 SE MOSBY, turn right heading 340, maintain 3000, cleared ILS runway 1R approach, sidestep runway 1C. (Actually, as MOSBY is the fix mentioned here, the actual phraseology in the case of IAD - more than 1200' between the runways - would be 'circle to land runway 1C').As you can see, there are slight variations depending on the situation.
I refer you to post #10. No arguments from me!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I refer you to post #10. No arguments from me!
Yep. I'm just making sure the rest doesn't get confused. Most people don't know much about the ATC side of things, much less know what the 7110 is (thanks to Dan for bringing that into here, too), so I always try to throw that perspective out there. I can't tell you how much better my flying is, now that I studied ATC, and the requirements set on them.I'll read farther down next time, too.

Kyle Rodgers