Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssites22

Back to FSX with new computer

I am back to FSX after 3 years away. I built a nice high power machine (Geforce 550 TI, Intel i5 etc).Runs smooth at 30fps with almost all sliders maxed out.I notice when flying in clouds, which I was really never able to do in the past), they look VERY blocky and banding. Not a misty look like I expected.Any ways to improve this?

Do you have a seperate weather engine i.e REX or Active Sky or are you using FSX default weather ?

Tristan

Living in the beautiful Chilterns.

FS System: intel e8600 core 2 duo cpu, asus p5q deluxe motherboard, 4gb ddr2 1066 corsair memory thermaltake 750w power supply, palit 9800gtx+ 512mb graphics card, 750gb sata2 hard drive, 500gb sata2 hard drive, coolermaster v8 cpu cooler, antec 900 case, xp pro 32 bit, creative xfi titanium sound card, 22x dvd/rw. Still sticking and rocking with FS9.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Using default. are there any good free ones out there? I did change some video card settings and I think it is better though

Make sure you are not using Simple Clouds in FSX.

Not sure about any free ones but REX along with ASE will do u wonders.

Matt Wilson

As of now ASE doesnt have there own textures. ASE will just use the REX textures. I was amazed the difference it made over the default or REX weather engine. Much more realistic looking. After having it I couldnt fly without it.

Matt Wilson

As of now ASE doesnt have there own textures. ASE will just use the REX textures. I was amazed the difference it made over the default or REX weather engine. Much more realistic looking. After having it I couldnt fly without it.
Active Sky does not come with textures but you can buy the Xgraphics addon which are textures that integrate with the AS weather engine.

John

Rig: Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 7 Motherboard, I7-I8086SE CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics, Acer 34" wide view display with VSYNC on.

Yes and that's no long now. Its the 16th already in OZ. Just a waiting for the sun to move on game now.

John

Rig: Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 7 Motherboard, I7-I8086SE CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics, Acer 34" wide view display with VSYNC on.

If I want to run REX2 with just the textures (the weather engine is dreadfully slow), do I uncheck Enable REX weather engine? That will still give me textures?

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

43%
    $10,945.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now