Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

My first NGX Paint - PMDG 737-900 NGX WL

Hey guys and gal, Just wanted to show you my first NGX paint. From all the discussion on paint kit problems, I chose to do the 900, since it seems to have more questions. The video tutorial I'm working on will be focusing on doing a "fictional" paint since they are much more complex and allow me to show everything one can do (or everything I know of anyway). This paint has several exaggerated aspects of it for the purpose of explanation during the tutorial. I will show the newest painter the basics, but also hope to share what I know for their return visits and taking a livery to a new step.This paint will have many of these exaggerations toned down a tad during the tutorial so won't be available until the tutorial is complete (not that I think people want to fly my own fictional airline anyway, haha). However, people are free to download it on my forum as is.The video is rather long, but I was having fun with it. It has 3 purposes.

• To show areas of the paints that again will be discussed in the tut.
  • I've been making videos for all my paints now.
  • To say thanks for the NGX.

The songs are just fun and I thinking very fitting. We all like to share addons that we ourselves like. Well, I have the same passion about painting and love to get others interested in it and share one of my favorite hobbies. However, as any painter will tell you, there's a "Love\Hate" releationship with painting, which is one reason for my 1st song (second also that I originally had "Love Bites Remix"). The second song is more because the NGX was in the arms of the PB truck at the time I needed a replacement, plus even though my sim time is short now, I expect the NGX experience to be heaven ;)Last but not least, the very last sound clip is from my favorite song of all time. It's a Rachmaninoff excerpt that fits the landing, timing wise. It also again is a little tribute to such a monumental aircraft we have here.*The applause at the end is not at all for my paint (before anyone asks). It's also for the NGX as a whole.~Enjoy!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thanks Dave. Glad you liked it.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Some serious video skills Dan, super job, sweet paint also my friend, thanks for sharing. im Not Worthy.gifim Not Worthy.gif

Rich Sennett

Thanks Richard, it was fun. A Night at the Roxbury music had me laughing at every edit with the AES vehicles. I had already done the video and is being narrated over in the tutorial (this is episode #3 without the music). I forgot to mention in original post and might not be obvious, but this video should answer 90% of PM's I've gotten about certain things. The times it stops at each area is to show that things can be done and also to show what bump mapping can be used for (Note the flaps when I go back and forth over them, see the hump? See the color changes? Shadow changes?).I actually manually did each rivet on every texture by hand (see how much more they stand out? Also note in the darker areas under the wings when looking at the flaps and stab. Also each and every single line. The purpose in the video for the tutorial is to show how these change at different angles and times of day and why someone might want to consider a good bump map over just settling for dirt. A 2D layer, is a 2D layer, but the right effect in a bump is 3D and constantly changing and brings a paint to life. I have another of these that show it in the day that youtube probably won't have so much of an issue with in destroying the gradient, but it's still not edited. Feel free to come grab the paint though and see what I mean.

Dan Prunier

Luv that song at the roxy maybe because I use to party at the roxy here in Boston lol, the good old days, maybe a day video to show off your rivets ?

Rich Sennett

Well, the day video does show them off but so does the night in the night way. That's the real thing to this paint and bump mapping. Most think it's just to add a emboss to something. That's one thing sure, but the lighting effects and color changes and shadowing are the real point. Watch the video in full screen and with 1080p active (you won't see it otherwise).As for the Roxy, I must know you, or have seen you if you use to go there haha. I drank many a beer with the mayor there (who didn't). I don't go into Boston much anymore for my suds though. The local pub is safer for me, and I can always guarantee getting on the pool table too! wink.png

Dan Prunier

Actually, maybe these pics will better show my point. Say you paint something like rivets or dirt. They are a 2D layer. They won't do anything but be that color in the day and darker at night. Now say you bump them just right. Now you have an ever changing livery.This image shows the rivets on the nose during the day. Note the top front looks different than the side, yet they are painted the same (actually there is no paint, just bumping for these shots).1.jpgNow look at this shot in this light. Same rivets, same lines, but note they forever change with each pan of slew, or change in the slightest lighting (even a cloud overhead can be noticed).2.jpgFinally, look at this shot. Same side but different angle yet they look different because the lighting. Some things just can't be done with paint alone.3.jpgThe reason in the video that I pan so much is to show these changes happening. Look at the wings and it's bevels how they change as would a sheet of aluminum as light glared over it. It can't be done with speculars or alpha channels alone and there are so many things being shown here that take too long to explain and just can't be see in images. If you have EZCA, download the paint and you'll see what I mean right away (I hope).Ok, one other shot. Here I chose to actually bump map my stripes on the tail to demonstrate a few things in the tut. I can't find my comparison shot at the moment, but you can see enough in this one what I mean.12.jpgAgain remember, there is 0 paint. I have the "Fill" set to 0.

Dan Prunier

Cool reflections under wings :) yes you can see bump full screen much better, Dan am I seeing thoes dreaded seam lines ? thanks for the shots, the rivet bump is very nice for sure.

Rich Sennett

No seem lines. Actually you're seeing the rivets that circle the fuselage, you'll see it's not at the normal spot for the other issue. That would be right on the tip of the "x" for the 3rd section. As mentioned above, some things are being exaggerated and the rivet and lines bumping is one of them (unless I wanted to make a space shuttle tribute if the nose!). They are just being seen since the light is gleaming off of them white.Oh also to mention is the engines. Most painters paint the engines all one color, or even the pylons that color. The reason I chose to do all the gradients is to show that there is no impossible and I got several pm's saying lining up the tail line and especially the engines was impossible. Well, lining up a gradient is about 5000 times hard than a line since it's lines are 1 pixel each so that's why I did it like this. The engines have 6 different areas of the texture that need to be lined up. Explaining that one may take quite a few videos.

Dan Prunier

Oh geesh, please,,, you have an hour, please remove that whole "sir" thing!!! :wink:Anywho, glad you like it Rich and thanks for the feedback.

Dan Prunier

Dan,Why do your photos and the video have so much pink color to them? Or is it my computer seeing this?