Sign in to follow this  

I am starting to change my mind on your clouds the more I fly with them weather influenced for clouds and airports only with your hazy horizon sky texture for day. The cumulus yesterday was really real looking. I notice there is a lot less generic broken cumulus where each cloud is the same size and spacing. You guys are getting better a programming the clump effect nature of cumulus cloud coverage and it looks much more real. I realize that is not a texture thing but a depiction thing. The last 2 flights I did with AS2012 clouds I think I like better than using the more transparent and painted looking REX clouds as far as textures go as well as the depiction from ASE quite a bit.Also this stratocumulus simulation setting is interesting. I suppose it creates more realistic warm front conditions right. Like mackarel sky multi layered effect in a warm front area. I have not noticed to much of a difference so far but then again only 2 flights with it have gone by. Your manual is a little lite on the description for this. Is this used mainly for the warm sector in storms, higher atmospheric stability? Are these clouds found at all levels, from cirrus to fog(stratus)? Are there more layers?. What is the main advantage to using stratocumulus simulation vs. not?Thanks

HI Marc,Thank you, with time, flight and different metarcondition, you will notice how we aimded both wx and graphics to works togheter, to simulate in "real flight" most as possible, and not really aimed to simulate static postcardpicture, this is huge difference. Stratocumulus simulation is for those who dont like the stratus rendering type used by FSX, it will use these stratocumulus to simulate these.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Wow.......That is very interesting and well done for ahievement :(

Chris Howard

Ok just to be clear does this mean that cumulus will be used instead of stratus? Or specifically stratocumulus as in the micro puffy white clouds clumped together in a rather thin layer with wispy bits interspersed between? You know what I mean? I have noticed some overdone cumulus layers with this but I will have to do more testing.

Concerning the clouds shape, I would like to ask why it is not possible to have cumulonimbus, even in heavy thunderstorm areas. I have never seen, since FS2004, a CB. I only remember seeing them in FS2002 with Active Sky.Thanks.

James Goggi

Hi,We're getting plenty of CBs here in testing! What is your METAR string and what is your "Prevent Thunderstorms with CB" option?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thank you, Damian, yesterday I saw the first CBs, not such big formations but isolated hammerhead buildups. So in fact I see CBs again with AS2012, even if I remeber that in FS2002 they were more 'monumental'.Just a thing, passing close to the CBs, I could see the lightnings but did not hear the thunder sound, maybe I have to increase the environment sound? (I think it's set about 50-60%).

James Goggi

HI James,yes set environment slider to full right, also you can decrease cockpitengine sound, to heard more the thunder sound, You should see different CB with more metar and different texture.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis