Sign in to follow this  
TheGrunt

Tales of the Gold Monkey

Absolutely great series! I purchased a dvd box from ebay for christmas and I am just watching the pilot episodes. This series feels far superior compared to most other 80's series, which today just seem throughly campy, goofy and outdated although they weren't ment to be silly in their days. Don't get me wrong, TOTGM is campy too, but in 30's pulp style like it should be. People's costumes, hairstyle and speech are believable for the time TOTGM represents (1938). Studio sets feel just perfect for representing 30's adventure film and I think this series would be even better in black and white! Last time I saw the series was somewhere in 1983/84 when it was aired in Finland and haven't seen it since. I have watched many TV series from my childhood during last few years when they have been reprinted in DVD and almost all of them feel just goofy and they aren't nearly as good as I remembered them from the days I was kid. TOTGM, however, is just as good or even better now that I look it from little bit different perspective. It is a shame this series got only one season and there is not a remake done like Galactica for example.And why I write this to the flightsim forum? Becaus main character, Jake Cutter, former AVG-pilot (I know, little bit anachronism here although most likely intentional) flies Grumman Goose named "Cutter's Goose" in the series and the plane is unquestionable one of the main characters. Pilot episodes show also Boeing Clipper stock footage and probably in one scene, a model aircraft of this magnificent aircraft of the pre-war long passenger routes.Highly recommended for all vintage aircraft and adventure series fans. This is not just cheap Indiana Jones rip off, but can really stand on its own two feet! Highly underrated and mostly forgotten, but worth to check out!Tales-Gold-Monk2.jpeg

I loved this show, and it was canceled way to soon. Once they gave it the dreaded Friday night at 10:00 PM slot (that slot was the death knell for the original Star Trek series, too) I knew it would be kaputz-ville very shortly.Were you aware that this show was principally designed to capitalize on the Indiana Jones (and the Temple of Doom) craze going on in the early '80's?

Were you aware that this show was principally designed to capitalize on the Indiana Jones (and the Temple of Doom) craze going on in the early '80's?
Yes, of course TOTGM was riding on the same wave Indiana Jones created, as I hinted in my original post. But TOTGM has so much originality, that I don't consider it a ripoff. Sure, it has an american adventurer wearing leather jacket and #####, but the style is IMO very different from Indiana Jones series. And I just love Jack the dog :(

Dude, I never said it was a rip off! And I think it was incredibly original...buy there are many here who aren't old enough to remember the original Indiana Jones movie, so just reel in your "of course"'s, too. If "Indiana" had not been commercially successful ay the time, there is no way "Tales" would have even made it to first draft stage.Sheesh!

Hi, Have you got the Bill Lyons ' Classic Goose' package for Fs 9?I've had hours of fun with this freeware [ formerly payware] package, which is based on TOTGM. There are many TOTGM based flights and the aircraft itself is a superb piece of work, as you would expect from Mr Lyons.I thought I got it from Flightsim , but can't seem to find it on a library search tonight.Anyway, if you strike out, let me know in a PM and I will send it to you.Best...Stuart

Dude, I never said it was a rip off! And I think it was incredibly original...buy there are many here who aren't old enough to remember the original Indiana Jones movie, so just reel in your "of course"'s, too. If "Indiana" had not been commercially successful ay the time, there is no way "Tales" would have even made it to first draft stage.Sheesh!
I didn't mean to offend. I know you didn't say it was a rip off and my post was merely to point out that we are on the same line here. Some consider TOTGM just a Indiana Jones ripoff and I made just a clarifying post here, so I'm sorry if you catched me wrong. English is not my native, so I may sound a bit clumsy at times.
Hi,Have you got the Bill Lyons ' Classic Goose' package for Fs 9?I've had hours of fun with this freeware [ formerly payware] package, which is based on TOTGM. There are many TOTGM based flights and the aircraft itself is a superb piece of work, as you would expect from Mr Lyons.I thought I got it from Flightsim , but can't seem to find it on a library search tonight.Anyway, if you strike out, let me know in a PM and I will send it to you.Best...Stuart
I don't fly FS9 and I'm mainly using FSX models, but instead I have this...http://aussiex.org/f...e-hd-redux-120/..and it is absolutely beautiful freeware plane although I have to admit that since the purchase, I have mostly flown Aerosoft's Catalina, when I want a flying boat.

Hi again--------- Found it on Simviation ,its on page 80 of 'Props', you will not want to miss this one.In fact if you are not aware of Bill Lyon's work, it's well worth checking out the major sites for his superb packages. :( stuart

Thank you for clarifying! BTW, MY dog's name is Jack!

Thank you for clarifying! BTW, MY dog's name is Jack!
Don't mention it. These forums are always a bit hard and people are easlily misunderstood compared to face to face talking. Especially for people like me, who are on a forum of foreign language. I think I manage my english decently, but it is perhaps difficult to get my "emotional" or true feeling to the post right sometimes. This was the case right now: I understood you fully, but I couldn't express myself correctly. My vocabulary isn't on the par of an english speaking fellow.By the way, did you name your dog by the Gold Monkey or is it a nice, but still pure co-incidence?

By the way, did you name your dog by the Gold Monkey or is it a nice, but still pure co-incidence?
I wish it was by design, but it's pure coincidence...He was a rescue and already had that name. :biggrin:And your English is very good...better than most Americans I know!

I wish it was by design, but it's pure coincidence...He was a rescue and already had that name. :biggrin:And your English is very good...better than most Americans I know!
Thank you very much for your compliments, Chuck! I wish you and your family, and Jack the dog the most pleasant Christmas holidays!PS: I'm enjoying a bottle of fine french Cognac right now, and soon after a couple of more glasses, I'm probably not able to produce any more posts here today. At least coherent ones LOL.gif

Tales of the Golden Monkey was a great show.It was great how he always managed to survive those encounters with Japanese Zeros (in a float plane of all things). Now that's skill LOL.gif
Yes, watching the series now I'm laughing for the same thing. LOL.gifThe good thing is, that he never (at least that I know of) enters in a somewhat goofy dogfight with the Zeros, but instead somehow handily escapes them. In the series Goose is just a float plane, and one in a pretty poor condition, so it is not overdone in that sense.