Sign in to follow this  
tttocs

Absolutely love the plane, but...

First of all, let me just say that I'm loving this plane. It's as close to being as right as I've seen in my short simming experience, and is subjectively closer to reality than the other three Carenado planes I've purchased (C210, V35B, A36) which I guess is why I find the little things that I've forgiven in the others to be frustrating here. My list:As others have pointed out, the engine start procedure is broken. Nothing happens when you engage the fuel pump for the rear engine to prime - no sound, no fuel flow indication; nothing. Front works fine, which is why this seems so odd. Makes going through a proper engine start procedure seem artificial.I like having a traditional Nav/Com rather than a second GPS/Nav/Com unit in a plane of this vintage but it would be nice if the radios were correctly depicted even if not fully complete and functional. Unlike Bendix/King units of this vintage, Collins Nav/Coms were actually two separate units which were typically paired side-by-side as done in the 337. However, while the left (Com) unit is correctly depicted the right (Nav) unit should be labeled "Collins Nav", not "Collins Com".One other thing I've noted that I've not seen reported elsewhere is that VOR radials seems consistently off compared to GPS track. While I don't expect GPS and VOR to track precisely, VOR track differences would be expected to be terrain variable. What I'm seeing is a consistent difference of about 2-2.5 dots in one direction between the GPS track and the VOR radial tuned. The radial is always depicted left of course inbound and right outbound compared to the GPS track. Localizer track, on the other hand, thankfully appears right on.Like others, I'm still trying to figure the autopilot out, but I think this is mostly a function of units of this vintage. I'm actually impressed at how well this unit holds glideslope.If a few nits could be addressed, this would be awfully close to an ideal GA simulation.Scott

I will see what I can do to help you get what you want. Give me a while I will need a bit of time to play around and see what I can come up with. With 3d gauges being part of model it do complicate matters. In old times it was very easy creating new gauges and makes things work ourselfs. Now because we do not have access to the model, we are a lot more bound to correct stuff ourself.I have not played (read looked into the details) a lot with the 337 but I will see what I can do. Maybe we might be lucky to correct some of the things.

First of all, let me just say that I'm loving this plane. It's as close to being as right as I've seen in my short simming experience, and is subjectively closer to reality than the other three Carenado planes I've purchased (C210, V35B, A36) which I guess is why I find the little things that I've forgiven in the others to be frustrating here. My list:. . . . . .Like others, I'm still trying to figure the autopilot out, but I think this is mostly a function of units of this vintage. I'm actually impressed at how well this unit holds glideslope.If a few nits could be addressed, this would be awfully close to an ideal GA simulation.Scott
You can use the link in the Avsim review for more detail on the autopilot. The posted xml by Bert makes using the A/P much easier. Most A/C have the Com on the left and the Nav on the right and as the frequencies are not interchangeable, I guess I can live with the incorrect label on the Nav2, for a while.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I have not played (read looked into the details) a lot with the 337 but I will see what I can do. Maybe we might be lucky to correct some of the things.
Wow, thanks for taking a crack at this! I didn't expect there was much that could be done this side of Carenado making some changes.Again I should emphasize that I'm really enjoying this plane. There's way WAY more right with it than there is wrong - these are definitely nits I'm picking.Scott

You can use the link in the Avsim review for more detail on the autopilot. The posted xml by Bert makes using the A/P much easier. Most A/C have the Com on the left and the Nav on the right and as the frequencies are not interchangeable, I guess I can live with the incorrect label on the Nav2, for a while.
Ray, I did take a look at your review and the included links to the AP documents. That helped, thanks. I think I'm good without Bert's xml, as i'm using a (new to me for Christmas :) ) Saitek multipanel which keeps me from having to use the out of the way pitch control - sorta. At least part of my AP learning curve has been related to figuring out what maps to the Saitek and in what ways. For example, the Saitek doesn't have an AP pitch up/down control - only VS - but I seem to be able to preselect altitudes and set vertical speed for climbs (something that I don't think this AP actually supported IRL). On the other hand while I can descend by setting a lower altitude, I don't seem to be able to adjust rate. And so on... These are really interface issues with the Saitek as much as anything.As for the Collins Nav - yes, this is strictly a cosmetic issue.Scott

Scott,There are several methods of acieving the same objective. I use a popup GPS with a favorite AP in the window that I can do all those things with one click to popup and one click to put away. I can set a target altitude either higher or lower and a vs rate and change any or all at will along with Hold, Hdg, Nav, Gps, and Appr. Makes life a lot easier. The most complicated desire is usually just a spin of the mouse wheel, either new altitude, new heading, new track, or approach and as a bonus I can see my Ground speed instantly.I just copy that window to any and all new addons and save the panel file and it there with a click and gone with a click.My new FSX hardware for Christmas was limited to the Saitek Trim Wheel, but I went absolutely crazy with the ND, Aerosoft, and Orbx sales.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

You actually have to change the "night" versions as well as the plain versions...Here a quick attempt

Bert

bert.man I just wanted to post and say I will do it for you after all your help, but I see you have been a busy man..Mind sharing? IMHO, it look very nice.! Well doneJB

Not good enough to share - I'm sad to say..But you do have to change all four files for it to workin the RXP version.

Bert

On the other hand while I can descend by setting a lower altitude, I don't seem to be able to adjust rate.
...and now I can. Go figure.I didn't change a thing, but had rebooted since my last try. I wonder if something in the Saitek panel driver was originally corrupted.Scott