Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

Cessna Trim Wheel?

I was wondering if anyone that has the Cessna trim wheel from Saitek would care to comment on it. It seems to me that trimming in the sims is one of the more difficult things, and I find it so in about all of the sims, not just one or the other. If the trim wheel works at least fairly well, I wil probably make it my next hardware purchase.

I bought a used goflight trim/gear/flaps box on ebay about 3 years ago and it is one of the best investments I have ever made for increasing reality.Xplane has a plugin for it and it works great!! Even allows you to adjust the sensitivity from within the program (thanks I think it is Sandy Barbour who made the plugin).

I guess I should make a search. Actually I had never thought about e-bay very helpful call.Thanks.

I've got one for XMAS from my wife (Cessna Saitek Trim Wheel) and I love it. It definitely feels more realistic spinning the wheel like I would in a real C172. One thing I found though is to make sure you spin the wheel in each direction for a full 10 revolutions so that X-plane calibrates it properly.

I don't have the saitek one but I did make trim wheels for elevators, rudder and ailerons. The elevator trim wheel was the same size as a cessna with about 5 turns available. It made things a _lot_ easier so I figure the saitek would be just as valuable.

I was wondering if anyone that has the Cessna trim wheel from Saitek would care to comment on it. It seems to me that trimming in the sims is one of the more difficult things, and I find it so in about all of the sims, not just one or the other. If the trim wheel works at least fairly well, I wil probably make it my next hardware purchase.
I have one and it is excellent. It is an endless turn wheel, but is designed so that around 9 full turns goes the full range.You MUST calibrate it when you first connect it and use it in Xplane. To calibrate properly, open the joystick assignments, axis and click on claibrate - then turn the wheel in one direction around 9-12 times (keep going even if the green line reaches the end) - then do it in the opposite direction and you'll see that it has "learned" the range so the next time you do it, it will take 9 turns for the green part to go all the way across.Another MUST (in windows anyway) is to move the trim wheel before flying to force windows to recogise it - for some reason the system does not recogise the trim wheel until you do this - if you don't do this, the first time you try to trim will cause all of your mixture, throttle and prop axis to momentarily go to zero - on take-off this can be fatal.It is well worth the money - the feel of it is really good and so nice to have such fine trim control.