Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Full Screen

I have not used my FS9 in some months and notice last night when I finally used it that when going to full screen, I get what seems like "noise" or very very mild "snow" on my screen like a television. When I get out of full screen and go back to windowed mode then its nice and sharp and "solid". Do I need to reinstall my video drivers just in case something when to the frits?Thanks

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

I have not used my FS9 in some months and notice last night when I finally used it that when going to full screen, I get what seems like "noise" or very very mild "snow" on my screen like a television. When I get out of full screen and go back to windowed mode then its nice and sharp and "solid". Do I need to reinstall my video drivers just in case something when to the frits?Thanks
That happened to me a while back. Found out it was a problem with the card itself. It was an ATI pro 9700 or 9300. cannot remember which. The condition was referred to as "Artifacts", a result of heat or a defect with card. In your case it just might be the drivers or dust buildup on the slot. Pwr off, remove card and reset. If no joy then you might need a new card, try changing drivers first though. You can always run a benchmark type program like 3dmark03.Douglas

Could be dust, I will take the old ATI X1950 card out and dust the thing and see what happens. Hopefully that will solve it. But wouldn't it be doing it in windowed mode too?

Edited by Bill A

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Could be dust, I will take the old ATI X1950 card out and dust the thing and see what happens. Hopefully that will solve it. But wouldn't it be doing it in windowed mode too?
I think in windowed mode the card is not under, for lack of a better term, "pressure". In fullscreen the full potential of the 3d capabilities are being utilized. So if you were to use that 3dmark program to test your card it would really be testing the cards ability to run intense 3D graphics, hope I'm making sense. Maybe someone else with a better grasp of cards and GPU's will chime in.Douglas

I understand what you are saying, I do keep my computer running and rarely shut it down, so there is alot of dust running through the fans Im sure. I will give it a good cleaning. I have a older AGP ATI X1950Pro and cant afford a new card, plus my mobo only takes AGP (yes it old), I hope getting the dust of the system will do the trick.

Although your problem seems hardware related,Fs is a weird thing, It seems if I dont use fs for a while, something always seems "broken". if I use it regulalry its ok. Very weird

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I cleaned the computer out and even cleaned the contacts, and the artifacts are still there...next I will try to reinstall newer drivers.

ok, found the issue, I had my refresh overide set to 75mz, when I set it back to desktop settings which is defaulted to LCD screens to 60mz then the artifcats went away, however I get some stutters when I turn off the overide. Why would I get smooth flying wtih 75mz and not with 60mz on a flat panel monitor?

ok, found the issue, I had my refresh overide set to 75mz, when I set it back to desktop settings which is defaulted to LCD screens to 60mz then the artifcats went away, however I get some stutters when I turn off the overide. Why would I get smooth flying wtih 75mz and not with 60mz on a flat panel monitor?
Bill,Well at least your computer is all sparkly clean and you have tracked down the cause. One thing leads to another. For my FP monitor the setting is always set to 60hz, I have never tried any other setting. Maybe, and this is a long shot stab in the dark, you can try matching your fixed frame rate setting with whatever you set as your screen refresh and see if it improves. This is certainly not my area of expertize but I understand how annoying niggley things like this can be.