Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

HUD LNAV Track

Yep, likewise, love flying SIDS manually, but using HUD doesn't make it very easy. If I follow the FD bars on the PFD instead I'm spot on most if the time, just be niceto do it heads up instead and use the HUD which is what I thought the whole point of it was! So is it a case of there being an issue with the HUD in the ngx or is it like this in real life where it's slow and unable to predict a turn?

The main reasons to use HUD are elsewhere, not in flying SIDs. I believe it could be made so it worked same as the flight director, but by that you kind of lose a point of HUD, which is to show accurate FPV relative to the actual aircraft surroundings.The fact that HUD uses the FPV as the tracking point rather than attitude indication is for example very handy in difficult visual approaches, where pretty much all you need to do is point the FPV at the runway, or the landmark you need to navigate to.By design, FPV does not work well in tighter turns though...To clarify, the parts when you need to look out, is on actual take-off until shortly after rotation (so that you keep it on the runway) and then landing. After a take-off, especially low-vis take-off, there is no need to look out at all, since you will not see anything but grayness/darkness anyway.