Sign in to follow this  
dmwalker

"Distance Circles" or "Range Rings"

I should like to know how to display "distance circles" centred on the aircraft in the Navigation Display as shown at the 1 hour 10 minutes point in the ITVV movie of the Virgin B747-400 flight to San Francisco. What is the correct name for them?

Dugald Walker

If it isn't the official name, Range Rings are the commonly accepted name.What you might have been looking at are the rings for the TCAS. Go down to the central pedastol and make sure that your transponder is set to TA/RA, then on the control panel for the ND (to the left of the autopilot controls) press the TFC button.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Thanks but that didn't do it and I don't remember ever having TCAS rings. All I get is the the announcement "TA ONLY" on the ND. If I definitely should be showing the rings with TCAS, what could prevent that?

Dugald Walker

They are not included as an option with the PMDG 744, IRL they are a customer option.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Too bad. I thought they might be related to the rings in PLAN mode shown on page 12-25 of the PMDG manual since I don't see those rings either. Thank you.

Dugald Walker

Dugald,I am not on my computer at the moment but I think what you are looking for may be found in the FIX screen which can be accessed via the FMC.

Edited by BAW435

\Robert Hamlich/

Dugald,I am not on my computer at the moment but I think what you are looking for may be found in the FIX screen which can be accessed via the FMC.
I though that at first as well, but he's looking for rings around the airplane, not a fix.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Am attaching a photo of the monitor screen because screenshots didn't work. If I succeed, you'll see that the rings are a series of concentric white rings centred on the aircraft.

Dugald Walker

So I'm assuming this confirms that they aren't available on PMDG 747. What about the range rings shown in the ND in PLAN mode on page 12-25 of the manual? They are solid white rings each with range label and centred on the centre of the screen. I don't think I've seen them explained in any tutorials.

Dugald Walker

This is the PLAN mode I'm talking about. I can't find any reference to the rings in the text.

Dugald Walker

Hi all,TCAS range rings are perfectly available on the 747X. Just have to know where to look :)Go to your FSXPMDG folder and open the file named 747400gauges.ini. Then go the the section entitled [ND]. You will see an option named TCAS_ShowRangeRings=0Change that to TCAS_ShowRangeRings=1 and you're good to go.Enjoy your new range rings :)

Edited by Driftdown

It works perfectly, thanks.Do you have any suggestions for the rings in the PLAN Mode? I assume that, since they are pictured in the manual, there should be a way to show them on the screen.

Dugald Walker

Does anyone know which airlines have this option enabled? Looking through airliners.net it appears most operators do not.