Sign in to follow this  
Tino

Some thoughts on my next PC purchase

Hey Everyone,Just wanted some thoughts on the next PC purchase. My mobo died about 1 month ago as well as the video card. (It was about a 5 year old system). I want to make sure the next system will have no issues running FSX. I will be overclocking the CPU to 4.5ghz.Here is the next setup I am ready to purchase:Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T, CC600TM Mid TowerVideo Card: EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR Geforce GTX 580PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 (1200W)CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4ghz (will overclock to 4.5ghz)CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSSo CPU CoolerRam: G.Skill RipJaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240 PIN DDR3 SDRAMMOBO: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE 9REV (3.0) LGA 1155 P67 SATASSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB SSD (2.5")I will be running Win 7 x64. I will be re-using my storage drives as well as my monitor.Any suggestions, please let me know.thanks!Tino.

Sante Sottile

Hey Everyone,Just wanted some thoughts on the next PC purchase. My mobo died about 1 month ago as well as the video card. (It was about a 5 year old system). I want to make sure the next system will have no issues running FSX. I will be overclocking the CPU to 4.5ghz.Here is the next setup I am ready to purchase:Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T, CC600TM Mid TowerVideo Card: EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR Geforce GTX 580PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 (1200W)CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4ghz (will overclock to 4.5ghz)CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSSo CPU CoolerRam: G.Skill RipJaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240 PIN DDR3 SDRAMMOBO: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE 9REV (3.0) LGA 1155 P67 SATASSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB SSD (2.5")I will be running Win 7 x64. I will be re-using my storage drives as well as my monitor.Any suggestions, please let me know.thanks!Tino.
Beautiful system. Are you under the impression you need 1200W for a single GPU, though? 600W would do it for that system.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Beautiful system. Are you under the impression you need 1200W for a single GPU, though? 600W would do it for that system.
No, simply need it since the power requirements are higher than usual. The cpu with overclock will run 110W, 300W for the video card, 150W for mobo, 60W for ram and additional 50W for the cpu cooler. I also have 3 additional drives not including the SSD. Just wanted to be safe with additional devices I might connect in the future.Tino

Sante Sottile

No, simply need it since the power requirements are higher than usual. The cpu with overclock will run 110W, 300W for the video card, 150W for mobo, 60W for ram and additional 50W for the cpu cooler. I also have 3 additional drives not including the SSD. Just wanted to be safe with additional devices I might connect in the future.Tino
Understood. It will take up extra real estate in the chassis, so plan on that being a factor when trying to manage cables. Especially considering you're planning on a mid tower. 750W to 850W would give plenty of overhead.The Noctua is nice, but I never purchased one because of aesthetics. They're ugly... Have you looked at the H-series coolers? Either way, nice build! Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Trust me, 750W would be fine for that system.

1200 W is serious ovekill, save the money and get 700wor do you wanne do sli of tri sli in the future ?
SLI might be an option. I have my current card in for dervice, the GTX 590. Which takes up a huge amount of power. So if I sell the 580 for another 590, then I might need the extra power. Maybe a look into a 1000W.On another note, how are your systems running with FSX? Im looking at getting 30-40 FPS in the NGX at say, KLAX with AI and REX. Is that even possible with today's hardware?thanks,Tino

Sante Sottile

SLI might be an option. I have my current card in for dervice, the GTX 590. Which takes up a huge amount of power. So if I sell the 580 for another 590, then I might need the extra power. Maybe a look into a 1000W.On another note, how are your systems running with FSX? Im looking at getting 30-40 FPS in the NGX at say, KLAX with AI and REX. Is that even possible with today's hardware?thanks,with my system oc'ed i get about 35 fps with world of ai (traffic 100%) , fsdreamteam kjfk, rex overdrive, fscene x and pmdg 737 ngx with some tweaking offcourseTino

On another note, how are your systems running with FSX? Im looking at getting 30-40 FPS in the NGX at say, KLAX with AI and REX. Is that even possible with today's hardware?
No, it's honestly not. Not with scenery and autogen sliders to the right.A 590 or any other card in SLI won't benefit your FSX experience unless you're running extreme resolutions across multiple monitors. If anything, it will hurt performance (Really, it will). That's why you see so few SLI rigs around here in these forums. Edited by ZachLW

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

SLI might be an option. I have my current card in for dervice, the GTX 590. Which takes up a huge amount of power. So if I sell the 580 for another 590, then I might need the extra power. Maybe a look into a 1000W.On another note, how are your systems running with FSX? Im looking at getting 30-40 FPS in the NGX at say, KLAX with AI and REX. Is that even possible with today's hardware?thanks,Tino
Your much better off with one GTX 580 than 2, or even 4 that you get from 2x GTX 590's.

I agree with you Zach.1200W PSU seems a bit of an overkill when a good PSU like the Corsair HX850W will suffice. It has been rated good enough for a 3-card SLi set-up.
I hope that you are aware that SLi is redundant as far as FSX is concerned. There was a posting about this a few days back.

Guest jahman
For goodness sake. WAIT FOR IVY BRIDGE!!!!!
And, of course, Kepler.Cheers,- jahman.PS: With IB you get a Tri-Gate CPU and PCIE 3 (2x the BW of PCIe 2.0) Note your MB must also support PCIe 3.