Sign in to follow this  
denver69

ETOPS

Sounds like PANC-PHNL puts you beyond the 180 minute limit is that correct? If CYVR-PHNL doesn't that would explain why the EEP and EXP for Westjet routes are always the same, but why they move for Alaska.

Westjet's EEP's and EXP's are not always the same. Their just very often the same. Some days it's CYYJ, KEUG, KSFO, PHOG. The next day it could be CYQQ, KSEA, KSFO, PHNL and then the next day instead of KSFO, it would be KSNA and KBFI instead of KSEA. There's no fixed EET and EXP's or enroute suitable airports either. It all depends on different factors.

A bit off topic, but not totally:

After all this interesting ETOPS stuff, I've bought a PHNL scenery in order to fly from KSJC to PHNL, simulating the Alaska Airlines 837 flight that departs San Jose 9:50am and arrrives PHNL 12:15 (flight time 5:25).

My question is about the departure from KSJC. All the SIDs going out of the airport lead to a very remote point from my intended route. I mean, neither of the available SIDs from KSJC really take me on my planned route, but to totallly different places, in totally different directions. What is the "usual" procedure when SIDs are not really practical, and flying them would significantly add to the flight time? I just don't think that pilots really do fly any of those SIDs when departing KSJC for PHNL - but I might be wrong. Also, in general, what is the usual departure procdure in similat cases, can pilots simply ignore the SIDs or just partially fly them? But mostly, I would be interested in this particular airport, KSJC.

My planned route:

KSJC OSI BEBOP R464 BITTA PHNLBy the way, I am gonna be departing KSJC between 1600Z and 1700Z - feel free to join me on VATSIM!

Typically if there's no SID assigned you'll get ATC vectors to your first fix and from then on you'll follow your planned route.

For SJC, the key to the SIDs is to keep you away from the SFO and OAK arrivals. Since your first fix is Woodside (OSI), you get out of the way pretty quick on your way out to the ocean.

Jon Skiffington

Sounds like PANC-PHNL puts you beyond the 180 minute limit is that correct? If CYVR-PHNL doesn't that would explain why the EEP and EXP for Westjet routes are always the same, but why they move for Alaska.

For the ANC-HNL and ANC-OGG flights, the EEP is pretty far south of the Alaska mainland due to Kodiak and King Salmon pushing the 60 minute rule well south into the Gulf of Alaska. The flights are within the 180 minute diverson time I think due to these airports though we have had to do flag stops in SEA due to headwinds out of the Gulf. Its happens but its rare.

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)