Sign in to follow this  
spilok

I Like FLIGHT...but it lacks "sophistication"!

Downloaded FLIGHT and the rest of Hawaii. I will also "support" it, and use DLC as we move along. However, like others, when I went back to FSX after about 2 hours of FLIGHT last night, I was struck with how wonderfully "sophisticated" FSX is as a flight simulator.

• Real Weather is beyond description in FSX
  • Autopilot is so necessary sometimes.
  • Clouds are extremely necessary for real immersion
  • ORBX, ORBX, ORBX
  • Force Feedback, at least for me, is a HUGE part of the immersion, especially with ACCUFEEL
  • ACCUFEEL, ACCUFEEL, ACCUFEEL
  • Placing a Program on the DRIVE of my choice is important to me
  • FS FORCE from Russell Dirks is one of my favorite programs. It's all about the "feel"
  • Sometimes I just want to fly at Princess Juliana airport. I feel like I'm on a real vacation
  • GPS is mandatory in planes that fly today

Of course I can go on and on. FLIGHT is a wonderful diversion for me, and represents an alternative to a sim like "Combat Simming". It's a valiant effort to get others involved in our wonderful hobby. It will probably succeed to those ends. However, it will never be a "sophisticated" Flight Simulator unless Microsoft wants it to be.Just my $.02 cents.Stan

understatement for sure... Flight is a toy next to FSX.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Placing a Program on the DRIVE of my choice is important to me
I think when I installed Flight, I was asked about the installation folder, so I think it should be possible to install it onto another drive.

Clouds are extremely necessary for real immersion
I wish that Flight had a Real Weather option as well (and lobbied hard for it during the entire beta), but Flight has clouds, depending on the weather that you set up
Force Feedback, at least for me, is a HUGE part of the immersion, especially with ACCUFEELACCUFEEL, ACCUFEEL, ACCUFEEL
I expect that Flight will soon get a Force Feedback option . . . a LOT of beta testers asked for it. I have A2A's Piper Cub for FSX, and Flight's environment sounds are just as good in my opinion. The wind sound increases when you lower a flap, or lower the gear, or open the cockpit. When you bump over a rough runway, you hear it (and you almost feel it, if you have the head bobbing effect enabled). When you're on the water (in the Icon A5) you hear the water lapping against your aircraft.
Placing a Program on the DRIVE of my choice is important to me
Flight gives you the choice of directory to install to if you download the installer from the MS Flight site. You can also change the default install directory under your GFWL options.
GPS is mandatory in planes that fly today
I miss ATC more. Hopefully it will be added at some point. Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Maybe it will turn out alittle like FSX when the Jetliner/Scenery packs get released. I think in around 2-4 years and a few hundred dollars less in my wallet, FLIGHT will be as good as FSX.
I really hope your price estimate is spot on but seeing as how Hawaii is ~$20, it leads me to believe this is going to get real expensive real quick. I'm going to wait on purchasing any DLC for now in hopes MS comes up with some "bundles" at a discount.

If I delete Flight and re-install it on a different drive, will it save my purchases? Will it remember my few achievements so far?Stan

If I delete Flight and re-install it on a different drive, will it save my purchases? Will it remember my few achievements so far?Stan
Like Steam, GFWL seems to use the server-side to remember what you "own." So, I think yes.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Purchases are safe; achivements, XP, and awards are not. Best to do it now though and not loose too much!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator