Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

McNugget Review - VRInsight MCP Combo II Boeing configured for PMDG 737NGX

I rate this product 5 stars - "Must Have" (Budget Permitting)Recently I purchased the very fine Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog control surface pair and discovered a wonderful button-programming tool here on Avsim called "Linda". After playing around a bit, I managed to configure my Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle Quadrant and Joystick to handle an astounding number of tasks on my airplane of choice, the exquisite PMDG 737NGX (SP1c). Some months went by, and I realized that while the Warthog was handling a LOT of the control duties on the NGX, it still was weak in some areas, paticularly found myself constantly mouse-clicking on the VC (Virtual Cockpit) controls on screen to accomplish various tasks both before and during flight.I began considering two primary competitors for an "MCP" panel to go with my Warthog. Primary goal: Ease of installation and configuration, instant compatibility with the NGX. I looked hard at GoFlight's MCP because it is spot-on duplicate of the 737 MCP. But eventually I was won over by VRInsight, a Korean company, and went instead with their MCP Combo II (Boeing) unit because simply stated, it 'did more' for about the same money, thus was more cost-effective and a smaller footprint on my L-shaped desk.It took about 30 days start-to-finish for this item to arrive at my home, from an Internet vendor. It's a well known company here in the USA, I had read good things about them, so I decided to chance buying a $400 item (on sale) across the web. Of course I paid via PayPal rather than giving my credit card number to a faceless web store.Item arrived today, I unboxed it, things went smoothly by and large. The item arrives with a separate box of labeled buttons that you "snap onto" your MCP Combo II. This is child's play, but is a bit more touchy if you decide afterwards you want to swap a button or two for one of the others in the kit that comes with the MCP II.After struggling mightily trying to 'make do' (the only knock on my order, VRI left out the promised button-pulling tool. Solution? Trip to pharmacy, purchased CVS (brand) Travel Pick (2 pack) which are metal curved toothpicks, shaped a bit like Captain Hook's missing hand replacement. These were quite cheap about $4 or so, and work a treat you simply slide the hook in behind the button, then pop it off (the button). I was able to swap several after discovering the VRI unit is configured a certain way in the "LINDA" software that is found here on AVSIM in the FREE Software area. (Donations apparently are most-welcome by the developers of Linda though).At any rate, I unboxed the Combo II which was sturdily packed for its trip across the miles to California from Korea. Upon unboxing, I was instantly struck by the 'heavyness' of the product build - I felt the quality was good for the price. I have included several photos in this post, so those of you who are considering this item might benefit from a closer view of the buttons and displays than what is generally to be found out on the web.A driver disk is provided, and though I don't use the VRInsight software PER SE, you must install the drivers so your PC can fully recognize this hardware. I elected to install SerialFP2 which is included on the installation DVD that ships with the Combo II. Main reason was upon running the SerialFP2 program, you are told which COM PORT your Combo II lives on. It's confusing, because it is a USB device, so a Com Port sounded like the old Serial Port from days gone by. Still, LINDA needs to know the Com Port of the Combo II so Linda can automatically add 2 lines of text to your FSUIPC.ini file Linda is so smart, she even offers to do this modification FOR YOU, you only need to say what com port your Combo II is on (mine is Com Port 4).Installation sequence of events:

1. Unbox product, locate main MCP combo unit, DC 5-Volt adapter, separate clamshell pack with all pre-printed buttons, a 225 to 110-volt adapter plug to fit on your DC adapter for use in the USA, and the driver disk. There MIGHT be a button puller in your kit, mine did not have one (see above).
  2. Run the driver install DVD, locate the SERIALFP2 folder on the DVD and install it. This loads the drivers for your system (Mine is 64-bit Win 7)
  3. Connect the included 5-volt power adapter, you will likely have to put the included step down plug-end on the end that plugs into your power outlet to step the power down to 110volt.
  4. Plug the unit into an available USB-2.0 slot on your PC or separate USB HUB. Note: This item consumes quite a bit of power, you want to use the DC adapter to power it, don't expect your USB Hub to be able to do it.
  5. Turn Unit on (power switch on back of panel).
  6. START FSX
  7. In my case, I use LINDA to interface directly between my Combo II and FSX. Linda in turn uses FSUIPC by Pete Dowson to communicate with the NGX. All of this is built-in to Linda (Linda specically suports the Combo II!
  8. Select the PMDG 737NGX for flight operations.

Turn the HDG knob on the MCP Panel and the HDG on your PC screen instantly changes. Same with ALT and VS, other things are controllable too, too many for me to list here. In addition there is a shift key on the MCP panel (See center panel "Recall" button). It is actually built in to Linda to change between 3 MCP Panel modes, I figured why fight it? I chose the word "recall" because there is no button that says "SHIFT".I did a test flight from KDCA (Ronald Reagan Washington Airport) and KJFK (Kennedy Airport, New York) and it was a whole new level of immersion, several degrees beyond anything I have experienced thus far. I previously had purchased the very fine Saitek Radio Stack, which I love for its HUGE display. I thought of selling it, because the Combo II fulfills all of the functions of the Saitek, but I dearly love the huge readouts though not so crazy about how hard it is to tune in a station. The MCP II is MUCH MUCH easier to set frequencies on. If you press the NAV button on the Comms portion of the Combo II, you automatically then are able to set Nav2 as well as Nav 1 (press the button again to cycle back to Nav1) Same thing with COM (press again you get Com2, once more you are back to Com1) The swap button for the radios is at the far right to the left of the AUX button in my photos. ( opposing left and right arrows is the radio standby to active swap button ).Hightlights:Too many to cover in a short written review. I have to say being able to quickly zoom the view on your EFIS disply by rotating the 'actual' knob on the EFIS is GOLDEN. Same way when you go over 18000 feet, you press the Baro(meter) knob and you go to STD barometric pressure. I don't know if it can switch between Hecta Pascal and Inches HG though. Autopilot A and B are available instantly, as are CWS A and CWS B (see photos).Flip the F/D selector and BOTH F/Ds are activated sequentially. The pilot first, then the FO. That alone made this a MUST HAVE. LNAV and VNAV, Flight Level Change, N1 and Speed are all quite handy as is Autothrottle, and AP Disengage Bar. On the right side are 8 user-programmable buttons, which you can use the numbers (as I did) or you can use the included spare buttons for your choice of extra tasks such as Gear (up down etc), AutoBrake (including RTO option), Airbrake, Flaps, and so on.Linda allows you to access the stunning variety of commands from both the FSX and NGX palattes, including those little nicities like reverse thrusters, engine kill switches, APU on/off, and too many more to touch on.Not to take anything away from the very find FS2Crew product (soon to be released for NGX), but there's just something extra special when you yourself physically flip the switches, push the buttons, and rotate the knobs. Particularly nice when ATC asks to every 2 seonds to change headings, speed and/or altitude. Tonight there must have been trainee ATC guys at JFK, as I approched the localizer for 31R the controller suddently siwtches me to 31L and put some other airplane on final for 31R. Without the Combo II? UGLY. Just so much faster when you are trying to make last minute swaps to your Nav 1 and Nav 2 and CRSE Left and CRSE Right headings, etc.,,I think other than the Warthog, this item is probably the best addition yet to my NGX experience. Yes, I said NGX, not FSX. To me, NGX -IS- FSX defined.Here are the pics, if you have questions, please post them here so we can share the information with each other versus PM.Photos of the VRInsight MCP Combo II (Boeing) unit (configured for PMDG 737NGX via LINDA) are at the following link on Box.net. All images are JPG.http://www.box.com/s/1t7crn2atgqpsmkt8q9p

Edited by rsm

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Hi.An interesting review Robert, thanks for taking the time to do this.Sounds like a good bit of kit. I have gone down the route of a scale 737 MCP and EFIS unit which I now have working with the NGX. Buttons and displays where they should be which I find to be more immersive than a generic unit. That said, space is not a limitation for me and I am constructing a scale cockpit.I am sure that anyone else purchasing this unit will find it of benefit too.

Hi.An interesting review Robert, thanks for taking the time to do this.Sounds like a good bit of kit. I have gone down the route of a scale 737 MCP and EFIS unit which I now have working with the NGX. Buttons and displays where they should be which I find to be more immersive than a generic unit. That said, space is not a limitation for me and I am constructing a scale cockpit.I am sure that anyone else purchasing this unit will find it of benefit too.
Hi Gary,Thank you for your kind comments. Wow - I am impressed that you have apparently dared to go where no one (generally speaking) can... and building a scale cockpit! I'll bet it's really something! I think I might like to be on your level, but honestly, if I got THAT close, I think it would be more cost effective to go fly in the RW! :Just Kidding:I hope you will post some pictures some time if you have a chance - so that we might see the "ultimate" expression of our hobby!Best,

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Main reason was upon running the SerialFP2 program, you are told which COM PORT your Combo II lives on. It's confusing, because it is a USB device, so a Com Port sounded like the old Serial Port from days gone by.
This kind of USB hardware works in a manner of opening a virtual COM PORT by software design. Apparently it has to do with COM (pin) adressing standards, I am told.

This kind of USB hardware works in a manner of opening a virtual COM PORT by software design. Apparently it has to do with COM (pin) adressing standards, I am told.
Ah! I was thinking such might be the case. I wanted to clarify that while I did install the SerialFP2 software included on the VRInsight install DVD, I only ran SerialFP2 ONE TIME, so I could obtain the COM PORT address (mine is port 4) to enter into Linda MCP setup. After I gave Linda my permission to add two relevant lines to FSUIPC.ini, away I went.When I start FSX, Linda automatically starts. When I select the PMDG 737NGX aircraft (my default plane in FSX), Linda automatically loads the relevant profiles for both the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PLUS the VRInsight Combo II MCP Panel.Note: With Linda, you can "assign" functions from both FSX itself and the PMDG 737NGX plane to respond upon button presses on the controllers including the Combo II. There are 8 user-programmable buttons on the Combo II, which I labeled with the numbers 1 thru 8. However, there ARE spare buttons included in the clamshell pack to include other things you might want to assign such as Gear, Flaps, etc. I have both gear and flaps controlled on my Warthog, so I will choose other functions for the Combo II.Thank you for posting the inside stuff on why a "com port" (albeit Virtual com port) is used with this hardware, Peter.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Hi Robert,

First off, excellent review. I just received my MCP II Combo the other day and out of the box the backlight on the LOC button and the #7 user programmable button are inop. In looking at the photos that you posted, it appears that your panel has the same issue? Can you confirm?

Thanks,

Back lighting on the MCP2 isn't that good to be honest, the white buttons are a bit too thick to let enough light through so you can see the text on the front and too much light escapes around each button to make the view aesthetically pleasing. I usually leave the back lights off and light the panel from the front with my own dim room lighting. Each button should have its own tiny surface mount LED light behind it though, some may vary in brightness a little bit, such as the 7 and 8 users buttons and the Radio buttons are all a little dimmer than the rest of the lights on my panel, but none of them are actually INOP.

Cheers, Andy.

The LED's are what I was referring to. Look at photo 12 & 19 in the link posted by Robert. The LED's on the board are all mounted on the top of the board and shine down on the key. Do you see how there is nothing lit above the #7 and LOC keys? Mine is the same way. A bit picky I suppose, but for the money it should work no?

Yes every button should have a SMD LED above it, if not then those particular LED's are not working/broken, it's not for me to decide whether you should send the panel back to the retailer for a swap, I was just letting you know that there should be a light above every button, apart from the little SEL button obviously.

Cheers, Andy.

I don't know, because since I bought it, I -never- use the lighting system. I find running in low-light room conditions I can see the buttons just fine without the LEDs being powered up. A major product improvement would be a 'dimmer switch' or 'dimmer knob' where the pilot could set how 'bright' the LEDS should be... most comments I've read declare the lights seem too powerful and too bright.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

The LED's are what I was referring to. Look at photo 12 & 19 in the link posted by Robert. The LED's on the board are all mounted on the top of the board and shine down on the key. Do you see how there is nothing lit above the #7 and LOC keys? Mine is the same way. A bit picky I suppose, but for the money it should work no?

Hey-

Got home tonight and tested my VRInsight Combo II (Boeing) and yeah, I have those same two buttons that are missing "lights" on the LOC and #7 programmable buttons. NO BIG DEAL to me, though I can certainly understand how you might be concerned or even "tweaked" that it's not "perfect". That said, no WAY would I ship this back to Korea for two lights. I can easily live without them, truth be told, I run it with the lights not turned on 99.99% of the time, ok 100% of the time- until I read your post, I wasn't even aware of this 'issue'. Love this unit. Pair it with AvilaSoft Electronic Flight Bag and LINDA, and you'll think you died and went to heaven. EFB can preset your comm channels as you fly across your route, so the 'standby' frequency for your next ATC link (on Vatsim) will be ready for you to hit the <- -> swap button on your comms panel on the VRInsight unit when you reach the new controlled airspace - so easy it's ridiculous. Totally love the way I have mine set up, use the top row of user buttons to turn on and off the Nav/Strobe/Beacon/Logo lights on the exterior of the PMDG 737NGX. The rest of the lights are controlled off my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog units. For the money - I think the VRInsight is quite a good deal. The competitor products may look more 'real', but for actual flight - this is CAKE.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Thanks for checking. I may just live with it as it seems that they may all be like this. I too run AvilaSoft EFB on a second 23" touch-screen and that is another awesome tool along with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog.

Thanks for checking. I may just live with it as it seems that they may all be like this. I too run AvilaSoft EFB on a second 23" touch-screen and that is another awesome tool along with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog.

Wow, touchscreen! I thought of that, but decided to pair the HP2711x displays instead. That extra real estate let's me run EFB and Squawkbox 4 side-by-side, along the the DeltaVA ACARS software for ATC/Navigation/Flight Credit off-monitor from the aircraft itself. Sounds like we have very similar setups.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Great review, it inspired me a lot when ordering the MCP Combo II, which arrived just yesterday. Reading your advices it took about 20 minutes to set it up using Linda ( which is an absolutely unique and useful addon), remapped all my CH Yoke and Throttle buttons as well, Linda makes it so simple. Again thanks for the thread, it was a huge help, and after 2 flights with the Combo and the NGX, I absolutely agree, it took my simming experience to a different level!

Great review, it inspired me a lot when ordering the MCP Combo II, which arrived just yesterday. Reading your advices it took about 20 minutes to set it up using Linda ( which is an absolutely unique and useful addon), remapped all my CH Yoke and Throttle buttons as well, Linda makes it so simple. Again thanks for the thread, it was a huge help, and after 2 flights with the Combo and the NGX, I absolutely agree, it took my simming experience to a different level!

Wow! Congratulations! I'm sure you will get many happy flight hours from your new MCP Combo II! Your system is very close to mine - I wonder if you have tried the 30 day free demo for AvilaSoft EFB (Electronic Flight Bag). Once you unleash its many features - you will honestly wonder how in the world you ever flew without it (IMHO, YMMV). Look back in this same thread for some features that are offered by EFB.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg