Sign in to follow this  
enamel

New to Flight Sims, A Few Questions

That sounds about right. :Thinking:
Indeed, I certainly have done that a few times myself, especially with some landing challenges that start you out pretty high , yet close to the runway.

Here is a video I made of what a a typical landing should look like with with a lot of corrections.
Thanks for sharing that. One thing I have a lot of problem with is knowing how far back to be when I start my approach. And at what altitude to be. I can never seem to manage my descend properly and end up being either too high, or in an ok position to land except the runway is still 100 ft in front of me.

Hi all, new here.I have been sim racing for quite some time, but never had an attraction to flight sims. Whether real or perceived, the barrier to entry seemed much too high to me. When MS first teased Flight, it was the first time I had an interest in a flight sim, I am firmly in the target market they are trying to attract. If Flight was a $60 box, I would not be playing it, and would be worse off for it. The ala carte model is really ideal for me.
Hi Enamel,Welcome to Avsim and to the Flight forum. We hope you enjoy the community we are building here. Stay and be a part!Kind regards,

Thanks for all the info guys, it really helps and the videos helped bring it all together. I am doing the flare much to high, and cutting throttle much to early.I am flying mostly cockpit now as I find there is much more feedback from the plane in this view. Plus I am really getting into flying by instruments. The first time I got into the RV and saw all the new toys it really hit my geek buttons and I immediately spend the next several hours learning about VOR, DME, and ILS. RV landing challenges 5 and 6 have to be some of the most intense moments I have had in any game.One more question, what is the "threshold"?

Awesome thanks. Google wasn't helping me with that one =D

2- The big thing is speed, the lower the prop rpm the less it is cutting into the air, hence the slower the aircraft. I use it mainly for landings more than anything, I will typically lower rpm on approach as I get closer to the runway, and bring it all the way back as I cross the threshold, especially if I am a little faster than I want to be, the plane will really slow down.
Er... are you really talking about rpm or mp...? During a landing rpm should be FULL al the time! In fact, from the beginning of the approach until you are going to shutdown the plane, prop usually stays full. During landing you use throttle (mp) to regulate your rate of descent (and not for speed!) and you use the elevator to maintain the right speed (and not the rate of descent). This is the opposite of what most people tend to do. But all the time rpm should be full!I see the threshold has been explained in the meantime... :wink:

That runway illustration is perfect and simple.Glad you're enjoying it Aaron and awesome to see MS Flight bringing in a new breed of aviation junkies. :)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Guest mna27

I think what helps a lot when flaring, is to keep an eye on the VSI needle (under altimeter) and make sure it doesn't go above 0 when you flare (above 0 means your gaining altitude) When approaching the runway try not to go to much under -5 (-500 feet per min). (I think recommended approach is -750fpm?) Then when you flare make sure you don't pull back so much that the VSI reads above 0.if your flying the RV-6 you should approach the runway at about 65-70 kts, and plan to touch the wheels at 55kts.

What I do (or how I would explain it): slowly descent at a steady rate and get as close to the runway as you can, then FIRST pull back throttle all the way and then try NOT to land (slowly pull back the elevator more and more to prevent you from touching down) but do so without going up in the air again. :wink: By the time you are going to stall, you will touch the ground.It's important that you when you flare, you won't go up again: that's not flaring, that's climbing. :wink:

Don't try to grease them out at the beginning, just land them one way or another. ( without crashing of course )

One thing I have a lot of problem with is knowing how far back to be when I start my approach. And at what altitude to be. I can never seem to manage my descend properly and end up being either too high, or in an ok position to land except the runway is still 100 ft in front of me.
How far back... it will depend on what you are comfortable with... couple miles back at 1000' AGL should be fine.Pick a point to land, like the Runway Numbers, get your approach attitude / speed set and keep that spot (the Runway Numbers) in the same place in the windscreen.If the spot moves up... you will land short. If the spot moves down.... you will overshoot. Keep it there until (roughly) you are starting your transition from the approach attitude to landing attitude (i.e the flare).

1) "Flare" - In the first Icon landing challenge, you get right down to the runway then you are told to cut power to idle and bring the nose up. Following these instructions will put me into a stall and I drop out of the sky and slam to the ground. Is there something about doing a flare that I am missing?2) Prop RPMs and throttle at cruise - The checklists have you bring the RPMs and throttle down for cruising. My question is if this is something solely to save engine wear and fuel costs? Are mechanical failures modeled in the game? So far I just go 100% all the time because dropping 20 knots for no reason just isn't in my DNA :)
Well, others have answered, but here are my 2 cents.1. You're doing it mostly right, the trick is to stall about an inch off the tarmac :). It's all in the timing, and judging your height right, and it takes a bit of practice in real life as well. Flying a long final, where you set up the correct speed and glide path early, makes this easier.2. It's to save fuel and engine wear, yes. No reason not to go balls to the wall in the sim, unless you need to save fuel for a long flight.

Just when I thought I was getting a clue about landing.. I bought the Maule. Arrrrg!Less throttle, more pitch. Gliding quickly. Less throttle, still gliding too fast... Less throttle OMG DROPPING LIKE A ROCKThe Maule and RV clearly come from different planets. My 500 lbs of cats are not impressed!

Yeah, the RV is a slippery little I TRIED TO USE A PROFANITY HERE - AREN'T I STUPID!, while the Maule is basically a huge drag generator. Pull the throttle back on the RV, and it gently slows down. Pull the throttle back on the Maule and it does the same, for a short while, then it's EXPRESS ELEVATOR TO HELL! Unless you keep a little throttle on, or dive steeply. Very handy for short field landings, though :).Wow, b%$d is apparently bad, while "hell" isn't... Who knew?