Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Richard Harvey - in memorium

It seems like only yesterday, yet nine years has passed since Rich was prematurely taken from this world.I hope time has helped ease the pain of the loss felt by the loved ones he left behind.Richard Harvey - a friend never to be forgotten

Yes, and I credit FLY! in sparking my interest in flight simulation.I agree, it is incredible so much time had already passed.Thanks for reminding us of the anniversary.

Thanks for the reminder Roger !The Fly! serie was one of the greatest moments in flight simulations, thanks to Richard Harvey's dedication and passion. From time to time I read again with emotion his last posts.Nine years...

Thanks for the reminder Roger !The Fly! serie was one of the greatest moments in flight simulations, thanks to Richard Harvey's dedication and passion. From time to time I read again with emotion his last posts.Nine years...
Hi Pascal,Long time between drinks mate. Do you still sim with Fly! II and more importantly have you still got any copies of any programs that you once uploaded to the Avsim Fly! II library. If you have would you be able to re-upload them. Then library for Fly! II has been absolutely decimated and the librarians will only allow the original authors to re-upload files..I trust you are keeping well.Keep in contact.

Hard to believe, isn't it? I can still remember when I forst loaded up Fly! and took a spin... the cloud effects on my newly installed nVidia TI4200 took my breath away.. I really thought I was experiencing vertigo flying through them! Thank goodness I still can run Win98 on my old Compaq and experience Fly! - and run Fly!II on Win7! Rich and TRI team left us with a marvelous simulation experience, hard to forget and even more difficult for other sims to measure up to, IMHO.God Bless the Harvey family!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hi Pascal,

Long time between drinks mate. Do you still sim with Fly! II and more importantly have you still got any copies of any programs that you once uploaded to the Avsim Fly! II library. If you have would you be able to re-upload them. Then library for Fly! II has been absolutely decimated and the librarians will only allow the original authors to re-upload files..

I trust you are keeping well.

Keep in contact.

Yes, Roger, time rarely goes backwards ! But in the case of Fly !, it's good to look at these years again. The truth is, I don't Fly! anymore since I'm now exclusively on linux. I've been into X-Plane for years, which gives me a lot of satisfactions. But, I've tried to fire Fly! II on Linux with "Wine" lately, and it seems to work much much better than it used to, so maybe it will have a new life on my computer ! And Fly! Legacy of course works on Linux too !

Speaking of Avsim's library, as far as I remember, I never uploaded any file. I've noticed the link to my Terrascene tutorial is broken. The french link still exists on Simvol: http://fly.simvol.org/telechargement_fly2/tutoriels/terrascene/pagesfr/index.php

Sadly, the english version is not available anymore, Saltydog's site beeing down. And I don't now if I kept a copy. Do you have by chance any news from him ? Is he still present on Avsim, maybe under another pseudo ?

Good day Ken ! Glad to hear from you !

All the best !

Pascal

Yes, Roger, time rarely goes backwards ! But in the case of Fly !, it's good to look at these years again. The truth is, I don't Fly! anymore since I'm now exclusively on linux. I've been into X-Plane for years, which gives me a lot of satisfactions. But, I've tried to fire Fly! II on Linux with "Wine" lately, and it seems to work much much better than it used to, so maybe it will have a new life on my computer ! And Fly! Legacy of course works on Linux too !

Speaking of Avsim's library, as far as I remember, I never uploaded any file. I've noticed the link to my Terrascene tutorial is broken. The french link still exists on Simvol: http://fly.simvol.or...gesfr/index.php

Sadly, the english version is not available anymore, Saltydog's site beeing down. And I don't now if I kept a copy. Do you have by chance any news from him ? Is he still present on Avsim, maybe under another pseudo ?

Good day Ken ! Glad to hear from you !

All the best !

Pascal

G'day Pascal,

Forgive me for asking about uploading files. I was just trying to get some of the old guard flyers to reupload any files they might have. If you didn't upload then forget it.

I have just ordered X-plane10 discs. Awaiting their arrival. I figured I would try Xplane whilst waiting for FlyLegacy to be finalised into a final public release. I have the alpha release of FlyLegacy and it appears to be very good. It's really amazing what a great job a few dedicated people have managed to produce.

I have also got MS FSX but it is still in it's original cellophane shrinkwrap! I bought it several years ago when first released but following the forum I saw so many reports of CTD's that I never bothered to open it let alone install it. Fly! II is still my mainstay flight sim. Have you appplied the final patch (240) to your installation of Fly! II. That may account for your perceived improved performance.

I haven't seen or heard from Ken Salter for a long time. I guess he just drifted away to other pursuits. Quite understandable as the changing circumstances of a growing family affects ones priorities. I vaguely remember him posting in the MS FSX forum but that would have been a long time ago.

In a couple of weeks you may see me posting in the Xplane forum seeking help on getting the program up and running. :drinks:

It is a tribute to Rich's accomplishments in life that he is remembered fondly by so many people, this long after his passing. For myself, I can say that no year has come and gone since that hasn't found me thinking about Rich and his legacy numerous times.

Hi David,

So good to see you dropping in and posting! Like you, I rarely get through a year without thinking of Richard - as I still Use Fly! and Fly!II.

I just recently tested out and successfully got Fly!2K to load and run on Win7, and went to revisit some of the my favorite scenery areas (namely that small area of Chicago done in photo-real quality and my TS area of OKC) and Rob Young's tweaked out Cessna and Navajo! Runs terrific on these newer computers and video cards! True legacy to Richard's "forward thinking". Too bad the Publisher could not see this far into the future as to how well Fly!2K and Fly!II hold up with the latest technologies.

Wishing you all the best! infoMetar still rules!! <big smile>

Cheers,

ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Hi Ken! Alas that my old Fly!/Fly2K/FlyII disks don't do me much good anymore since I transitioned all of my home computing to the Mac ecosphere. I still have very fond memories of the first iteration of the sim in particular, and although I do have XP10 on my Mac, I haven't yet been able to get nearly as fired up about it as I was with Fly! back in the day. In part that's probably just me getting older and having too many other concerns, but Fly! also had a unique personality and heart that I haven't seen or felt since. And the heart's name was Rich.

I do have XP10 on my Mac, I haven't yet been able to get nearly as fired up about it as I was with Fly! back in the day.

hehehe - I always found the XP series to be a bit too difficult to handle with just a joystick and a mouse - not to mention back in the days I had some interest in it, it was 80USD! Granted price is now down quite a bit - but I still prefer my Fly!II and honestly - the <coff, coff> "Other Sim" is not too bad - especially with the Orbx sceneries/airports installed. Just wish I could find someone to help me port Seawind from Fly!II to it. That SDK leaves MUCH to be desired for a numbskull weatherman like me to work out. <sheepish grin>.

Many cheers to all Fly!ers still around!

Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Hi old friends, just checking in...

I have since moved to Tokyo, Japan.

Havent Fly!ed in quite a while now but still very much engaged with aviation.

Glad to see everyone is still around.

Regards,

Alex

I think about Rich fairly often and once again I'm teary-eyed after looking at some of the goodbye posts. He was an awesomely cool guy and I'm so lucky to have had the pleasure to have met and worked with him. Wherever he is flying around right now, he will forever be appreciated and loved by all of us who had the pleasure to experience his creations.