Sign in to follow this  
kencnnrs

Need help with new computer

Hey everyone. I just received my new computer today and am having some issues. My specs are listed in my signature and are wayyy better than my previous ones. My previous specs were 3GB Ram, AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.4 Mhz, Nvidia 8800gt 524MB. I just finished loading fsx and addons and inside VC (default 737, NGX not downloaded yet) i'm getting about 60-70fps at CYYZ (Toronto Pearson), but outside it jumps all over the place, will go as high as 70 and then drops to 6 or 7 which is creating stutters, i've tried locking fps at 30, but no good, still drops to around 6 or 7. My old computer never did that. I was still conservative with my graphics settings and used Bojotes tweaking tool, can't figure out why i'm getting such low fps on a high end machine (i do know fsx doesn't use my computer to full potential). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ken,1. When you limited to 30 did you do this in the sim or in the Nvidia driver per my config post in the PMDG General forum?2. What AA level are you running - external stutters can be caused by running AA too high with high resolution textures.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan, first, thanks for the reply. I limited to 30 within the sim, but will now go through your inspector guide and follow. I'm not sure what you mean by AA level, but if its what I think, I am running on Aniostrophic (sp?). I will also adjust that to Trilinear and coupled with following your guide, see what results I yeild. Thanks again.

I've heard people with a similar system as you having similar problems. I heard that the new LGA 2011 sockets have many problems with FSX. I think this is simply because FSX is not designed for this kind of "monster" hardware so it doesn't know how to handle it or something... Perhaps i"m wrong, but this is what I've read before. Btw, i7 3960X is a total waste of money for FSX, it can't use all cores anyway. You should have gone for the i7 2700K...

The only problem i'm having is the external stutters, inside the VC, everything is perfect. I've tried Ryans nvidia settings and though it did improve things, still never eliminated the external stutters. I use my computer for a thousand other things outside of FSX, so I disagree with the waste of money part, but I'm sure you meant well. Anyone have any ideas or other tweaks that may be able to remedy my problem?

Ken-Try this in your FSX settings/ display tab-Water= high 1XAutogen Dense=NONEScenery Complex= DENSESpecial effects=LOWGRound Scenery Shadows UNCHECKEDTurn ALL Avation Traffic( traffic tab) to 0.Road traffic and boats to 0.Ships and ferries to 88 if you have VRS f-18 with Javiers carrier installed.Cloud detail= MediumCloud Draw= 70 milesThermal Visual= None( done by REX i believe)See if that helps. Also, install the NGX and stop wasting time with default..... The NGX runs smoother than ANY default

Peter Osborn

Thanks, i will try those settings. I'm just waiting on my NGX links to be reactivated, I only used default when I loaded up FSX for the first time to check the performance with my new rig.

ken- dont mean to be pesky, but save the the NGX download to a flash drive so you dont have to wait, or pay.

Peter Osborn

I know, I was one of those naive people who thought "I take care of my computer and have anti-virus, nothing bad will happen", Then it did. Lesson Learned. One more question for you guys, I've heard that you can set FSX to use so many cores, I know that it can't use all six of mine, but how can I check to see that its using its maximum?

Have you applied *******'s tweak? And try to raise the water (if not already) to High x2 or something. I had stutters on Low x2 (event not around water), and I read somewhere that it'll help. I did exactly that and stutters went away.

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

i did apply *******' tweak, I will try the water setting. I'm finding that now it is only temporary. Frames will go back and forth from 30 to around 5 or 6, and then settle back at around 30 (limited to 30) after about a minute or so, and like I said, only in outside view. The only add-ons I'm running are GEX and AS2012.

Try disconecting from the internet, Disbale your virus software while you take a short test flight. See if that improves anything.If it does, maybe look at your virus protection settings - Sounds weird, but Ive had issues with certain planes, fsx that somehow it hits..

I have already solved my issue by using the [bufferPools] Poolsize=0 tweak. Now I'm getting the 30fps that i've limited it to at any airport and areas with the NGX. Default airports and scenery of course. Thanks to all for the help.