Sign in to follow this  
SpeedPilot

X79 vs P67 platform in FSX

I've been thinking about upgrading to an i7 3820 and an X79 motherboard and selling my i7 2600k with my Intel DP67BG motherboard. If I can sell my CPU and motherboard, it might cover the cost of the i7 3820 or be very close to it. Sometimes in FSX I get micro hitching, even during taxing, even with AI aircraft traffic disabled. I don't remember having this micro hitching when I had an i7 960 on an X58 platform, but then I had a little more memory bandwidth on the x58 platform vs the P67 platform (tri-channel @ 1066MHz vs dual-channel @ 1333 MHz). Would the increased memory bandwidth of the X79 platform solve the micro hitching I'm experiencing? Lowering autogen to disabled and disabling all traffic options seems to help alot with the micro hitching I'm experiencing but sometimes I still saw the occasional micro hitching. Also disabling core parking in Windows 7 seemed to help a little bit with the micro hitching I've been getting. However, I still whan to have extremely dense autogen with some road traffic and boat traffic without the micro hitching.

I've been thinking about upgrading to an i7 3820 and an X79 motherboard and selling my i7 2600k with my Intel DP67BG motherboard. If I can sell my CPU and motherboard, it might cover the cost of the i7 3820 or be very close to it. Sometimes in FSX I get micro hitching, even during taxing, even with AI aircraft traffic disabled. I don't remember having this micro hitching when I had an i7 960 on an X58 platform, but then I had a little more memory bandwidth on the x58 platform vs the P67 platform (tri-channel @ 1066MHz vs dual-channel @ 1333 MHz). Would the increased memory bandwidth of the X79 platform solve the micro hitching I'm experiencing? Lowering autogen to disabled and disabling all traffic options seems to help alot with the micro hitching I'm experiencing but sometimes I still saw the occasional micro hitching. Also disabling core parking in Windows 7 seemed to help a little bit with the micro hitching I've been getting. However, I still whan to have extremely dense autogen with some road traffic and boat traffic without the micro hitching.
Short and sweet: Going from a Sandy Bridge to a Sandy Bridge-E, especially in the shadow of Ivy Bridge's release, makes no sense IMO. Your return will be next to nothing.-This memory bandwidth difference is offset by the fact SB has the memory controller on the chip, and is (in spite of your concerns) faster. I'm keeping it simple here.-As for the micro-stutters, we've got a lot of ground to cover. If you're running maximum traffic with a third-party traffic program and max autogen around heavy scenery, some stutters can be expected from time to time.Have you tweaked the fsx.cfg any? Are you overclocked? What about other system specs? Mainly your GPU.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Here are my system's specs:i7 2600k @ 4.2GHzIntel DP67BG motherboard16GB Kingtston HyperX DDR3-1600GTX 580 1.5GB240GB Kingston HyperX SSDI want to add that when I ran the CPU at stock clocks it still had the same micro hitching. I tested it by taking off from CYYC on the default Cessna 172, returning to land and then taxing at the same airport. It happens mostly when I'm on final to CYYC all the way to taxing after landing. This is without add-on scenery. Autogen was on extremely dense, 0% aircraft traffic, 0% airport traffic, 20% road traffic, and 20% boats. Scenery shadows off, Light Bloom off, 1920x1080, AA and AF on, and 30 fps limit set.

Upgrading to X79 will likely give you little to no performance boost.Please wait for the Ivy Bridge chips. I have spoken with some internal sources and Ivy Bridge will be worth the wait. Kepler also will be a very good choice when paired with an IB chip and PCIe3.A Kepler GTX660 will be 100 bucks cheaper than a GTX580 and will give equivalent performance.If you get a good chip, the Intel Core i73770K will likely be able to OC beyond 5GHZ.Ivy Bridge + Kepler GPU + PCIe3 = FSX Nirvana :Big Grin:

"Ivy Bridge + Kepler GPU + PCIe3 = FSX Nirvana Big%20Grin.gif"Alright! That's what I like to hear!RH

X79 is PCIe 3.0 ready but a 2600K to 3820 would be a sidegrade in just about any other aspect so I would also wait for IB

RAM speed DOES reduce micro hitching a little bit. I always had quiet a lot of micro hitching in the NGX while taxing and then turning. After I upgraded from 1600/CL9 to 1600/CL6 things became a little bit smoother for sure. The difference is not like day and night, but it's definately smoother, yes.