Sign in to follow this  
SpeedPilot

Severe stuttering after upgrading to an i7 3930k!

I guess there will never be a day when hardware will be powerful enough to run FSX smoothly (stutter-free) if this is the case. I did get a little better frame rates on my 3930k (not because of more cores) than my i7 2600k, a little faster load times, and it seems that autogen and texture loading is a little faster at loading when slewing around, although I can't really time for texture sharpening and autogen loading, but the stutters are worse now.I did try the Bojote tweak with my fsx.cfg file and it help alot with the stuttering on my 3930k that it's now at practically almost at the same level of stuttering as my 2600k was without any tweaks to the fsx.cfg file. But then again I really shouldn't have to resort to tweaking with more powerful hardware to get it to perform almost as smoothly as less powerful hardware. I don't know if I should RMA my 3930k as I already exchanged my motherboard once for a different problem and still had the same problem in FSX with the previous motherboard which was the exact same model number. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to convince the shop that I suspect that my CPU might be defective, as it's rare to get a defective CPU.Yes I did. My brother told me that it could be my SSD which could be causing my stuttering because of the wear and tear from reinstalling Windows 7 and FSX many times to this SSD, and that it's now a "Dirty" SSD, and I wouldn't have this problem with a mechanical hard drive. I don't think it's true because I checked my SSD's health status with Crystial Disk Info and it's still at 100% health.
If you can return it, get yourselves an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. with the Z77 chipset, with the LGA 1155 socket. Also get an i7 3770K. These are great value for the money, and might easily overclock to 5.0 - 5.5 GHz without putting the voltage too high. Knowing that LGA 1155 doesn't microstutter or hitch that badly, it will run great for sure.

If you can return it, get yourselves an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. with the Z77 chipset, with the LGA 1155 socket. Also get an i7 3770K. These are great value for the money, and might easily overclock to 5.0 - 5.5 GHz without putting the voltage too high. Knowing that LGA 1155 doesn't microstutter or hitch that badly, it will run great for sure.
I don't know if I'll return both the motherboard and CPU. As I said I already exchanged the motherboard once and I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time returning nearly $1000 worth of hardware to the store for a refund, never mind exchanging just the CPU. What's weird is that the i7 960 / X58 system was the smoothest system I ever had in FSX. My i7 2600k / P67 was more prone to stuttering in FSX, and now my i7 3930k / X79 system is even more prone to stuttering. I initially thought that having a CPU with more memory bandwidth would help with the stuttering (going from DC 1333MHz, the officially maximum supported speed DDR3 for Sandy Bridge, to QC 1600MHz.) I just don't like the idea of returning nearly $1000 worth of hardware, especially when I exchange the motherboard already. If I go back to my 2600k / P67 system, I dont think I'll be upgrading to i7 3770k. No high end video card comes close to saturating the bandwidth of a PCIe 2.0 16x slot.

Lol...Affinity Mask = 1344 (been there done that with the others...I dont know why but it just works for me)Use BojoteWhat GPU(s)? So little is known about the LGA2011 and the first reaction to things is ALWAYS... SELL IT, SELL IT, THE SKY...ITS FALLING and only SB and IB can save us!That MB likes to OC RAM so if you want to go ahead and upgrade to faster timings and more MHz on that RAM do it.Make sure your BIOS is current...it made a BIG diff with me. Also...are you using the UEFI to tune BIOS or the OS-based application? Personally I never bother with the hard boots anymore. The game changer and what opened up my most recent "FSX stable OC (4.9GHz)" was VTT and VCSA voltage increases. If none of that makes any sense to you please get to an overclockers forum and do some research. Stock clock is nothing to write home about...but when this thing is fired up past 4.7Ghz it amazes me what I can run. I am running pretty much every HIGH LOAD add-on you can imagine and stutters aren't the limit...its virtual memory address space. This is a just a rough start to point you in the right direction.As for PCIe 2.0 vs. 3.0 I'll let you know later this year. If I spend $1000 on video cards anytime soon I'll be out on the street with divorce papers in hand and some UGLY alimony payments. :diablo:

Where is Nick Needham when you need him (I know that we really appreciated his expertise in CPU performance). The original poster talks about stutters of 1 to 2 seconds - not sure what that is at all. Most of us experience microstutters which are not a big pause like that but just show up at visual artifacts - lack of smoothness. The things that Nick used to talk about were balancing memory settings with overclocking to find the sweet point. It sounds to me like is was fairly easy with the 2500/2600 K but maybe not so with the newest i7s. Also, it probably is best to start with a minimal amount of memory and work up. I'm not an expert overclocker myself but I do remember reading Nick's advice and realizing that CPUs require knowledgeable fine tuning. The OP doesn't provide much detailed info on that.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I reinstalled my i7 2600k and P67 motherboard, reinstalled Windows and FSX. I noticed that the frequency of the stuttering is about the same as it was on my i7 3930k but most of the pauses last about half a second on my 2600k. I did not see any 2 second pauses like I did on my 3930k. Also I noticed that something was taking up more CPU resources when I was using my 3930k when I was checking the CPU usage in HWinfo64. On my 3930k it never got lower than 3-4% CPU usage during idle and on my 2600k it's around 0.2% most of the time when the CPU is idle, according to HWinfo64. I wonder if the increased idle CPU usage that I had on my 3930k contributed anything to the longer stutter pauses in FSX. Also this was with Core Parking disabled in Windows 7 with all the latest Windows updates.

You all, Could some of this 1-2 second long stuttering be some non-FSX processes that are stealing the main CPU with either disk or ethernet access - or could it be some sort of graphics card stall?

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

SP: It's a shame you could not enjoy such a great system, I commented that I have it and I'm using it with no stuttering, just had to use tool that brings the system into your installation disk with the same program that you OC system and takes the maximum possible program of which I speak is the AI suite II

Okay, I got it to run about as smooth as it did on my 2600k. I used a Bojote tweaked fsx.cfg plus a few minor modifications I did myself to the fsx.cfg file afterwards. I set affinity mask to 4095 and set the upper frame rate limit to 30 in the fsx.cfg file. Only now I get some graphical artifact for a split second sometime out of the front cockpit window.

If you had the affinitymask set as 4095 on your 3930k I'm not surprised you got stutters! Never hyperthread a texture loader on the same physical core as the main thread if you care about stutters. Did you ever try it without Hyperthreading enabled?edit: just saw what you written in the beginning of the thread that you had tried it without HT.Did you ever try the tweaked .cfg without HT activated with an appropriate affinitymask?

I tried with the affnity mask set to 62 which sould designate texture loading to the next 5 cores and the 1st core for the other processes in FSX I believe. I also had HT disabled with this setting and it's no smoother and it looks like the textures and autogen take a slightly longer to load while slewing quickly from one location to another with that setting and HT disabled.