Hi everyone, I have a question on vcore, I run a gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo and I overclocked it to 4.6Ghz about 4 months ago with Mike from fs-gs. I forgot what my vcore was so I just checked and it said 1.48v. Is this safe? It never goes over this and quite often decreases to 1.45 while I'm flying. Gigabytes are hard to set vcores with because unlike asus it doesn't give you a clear voltage increase/decrease option, you have to do other little things to adjust them with which mike and I had much struggle with for sometime until we cracked how to do it manually. I ran prime95 for about 4 hours and had no problems when I first overclocked it to 4.6. But maybe I should lower the voltages, what do you think?

Hi everyone, I have a question on vcore, I run a gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo and I overclocked it to 4.6Ghz about 4 months ago with Mike from fs-gs. I forgot what my vcore was so I just checked and it said 1.48v. Is this safe? It never goes over this and quite often decreases to 1.45 while I'm flying. Gigabytes are hard to set vcores with because unlike asus it doesn't give you a clear voltage increase/decrease option, you have to do other little things to adjust them with which mike and I had much struggle with for sometime until we cracked how to do it manually. I ran prime95 for about 4 hours and had no problems when I first overclocked it to 4.6. But maybe I should lower the voltages, what do you think?

1.48 volts isn't going to fry your chip. Word Not Allowed has his running at this voltage too for over a year and he hasn't had a single problem. Although, for long term use, I don't think that it is very safe to leave it that high.

1.48 volts isn't going to fry your chip. Word Not Allowed has his running at this voltage too for over a year and he hasn't had a single problem. Although, for long term use, I don't think that it is very safe to leave it that high.

Wow. Thanks for telling me. I'll take that voltage as max to OC if I get a new processor and OC.

Wow. Thanks for telling me. I'll take that voltage as max to OC if I get a new processor and OC.

Even though I make it seem that 1.48 volts is safe. It isn't. Just because Word Not Allowed's chip can handle it doesn't mean every SB chip will take 1.48volts for long. My personal vcore max is 1.38.

1.48V is far from being "safe" for a 24/7 overclock. There will be an amount degradation at that level of voltage, so please don't take people's word for things like this. On the other hand, if you're planning on throwing the chip away 1-2 years later, I can see running such a high voltage around the clock.

My personal max is 1.36V. That's what a lot of other conservative overclockers use with SB, as we want our hardware to last. If I can't reach 4.0GHz with 1.36v max, then I won't run at 4.0GHz!

Develop your own comfort level with voltage and temps, and don't buy into the non-sense stating Intel's stated max voltage with Sandy Bridge is 1.52v. That's not true, and the "data" being used for that claim isn't being used in the correct context.

:::EDIT:::

I see Ben set ya straight.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

1.48V is high, but it wouldn't immediately damage anything, as far as your cooling is OK. However the life span will be much shorter, and your CPU would degrade pretty fast.

As far as I've heard, it's recommended to stay below 1.40V if you want your CPU to last for a long time. I've got mine running 1.39V, I do not plan on keeping it for more than 2 years,

and it will easily last this long if you don't go over 1.40V.

BUT - it should NOT require 1.48V to run at 4.6 GHz. 4.6 GHz will maybe require 1.35, and a maximum of 1.40V.

I just changed it to 1.38v, I'll put it through prime95 right now and see how if its stable

---edit---

After a min I got a blue screen, so I'm going to drop it to 4.5Ghz and 1.41v

1.48V is far from being "safe" for a 24/7 overclock

Talk to Srdan. Over a year now. BUT, I remember him stating that he is willing to loose his chip any day. SO, I really think it boils down to how long you want your CPU.

When you say 24/7 you obviously don't mean 24 hours a day, as in you leave your computer on always? I use mine maybe 6 hours a day, yesterday I didn't use it

When you say 24/7 you obviously don't mean 24 hours a day, as in you leave your computer on always? I use mine maybe 6 hours a day, yesterday I didn't use it

Just an expression. Basically I mean at all times when you are using the PC.

Talk to Srdan. Over a year now. BUT, I remember him stating that he is willing to loose his chip any day. SO, I really think it boils down to how long you want your CPU.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to tell Srdan he was dumb brave using that extreme voltage. :Big Grin: All in good fun, Srdan!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Also, if you use EIST, effectively, you will be running your chip at low volts most of the time.

So you are letting a guy who doesn't know about dynamic Vcore overclock your rig, and he ends up pushing 1.48V?

The more I hear about this guy the more astonished I am people are still giving him business

well I didn't end up pulling through with his services. I just dropped it to 4.5ghz and 1.41v, currently running prime95. Also I think I need a better mobo to get higher more stable frequencies. Obviously the Asus P67 or whatever its called seem's to be the best, Gigabyte aren't known for their high overclocks

more astonished I am people are still giving him business

:LMAO:

Ohhh Dario.... Relax, this guy's CPU isn't in pieces!! I have seen tons of people over @ overclock.net with higher voltage and they have truly no issue or degradation nonsense. People seriously overreact about this whole subject IMO

well I didn't end up pulling through with his services. I just dropped it to 4.5ghz and 1.41v, currently running prime95. Also I think I need a better mobo to get higher more stable frequencies. Obviously the Asus P67 or whatever its called seem's to be the best, Gigabyte aren't known for their high overclocks

No, it's not the motherboard. Did you set up your RAM manually? Disabled C3/C6? Where's your Load Line Calibration?

Are you monitoring your Vcore and temps at full load?

:LMAO:

Ohhh Dario.... Relax, this guy's CPU isn't in pieces!! I have seen tons of people over @ overclock.net with higher voltage and they have truly no issue or degradation nonsense. People seriously overreact about this whole subject IMO

Maybe, but you pay someone to do a very serious job like overclocking a system, and 4.6GHz 1.48V is the result? maybe if it was to hit 5GHz, but for 4.6GHz?