1.4 V max. 1.41 for 4.5Ghz is probably too high so there is something else that needs adjusting unless you have a poor chip. Most chips should hit 4.5 around 1.35 or even lower I would suggest.

Another point to note is that you can easily overstress your chip with too many volts even if it is being adequately cooled.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Not sure what load line calibration is

This 4.5ghz guide should help you get started.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613

4.5ghz should be around 1.35v.

Here is a guide for 4.8 using ASUS but the principals are similar to your GB.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

4.8ghz is where you will hit 1.4v to 1.43V.

Just remember part of OC'ing is finding the lowest possible stable voltage.

Lastly if you have to run high volts through the CPU look at this:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Because without the right cooling, which is a must, you will need a new CPU sooner than later at 1.48v.

I'm at 4.5 now running at 1.4v. I'm not sure why I don't seem to be able to run 4.5 at 1.37v etc but I can't. Even Mike couldn't figure out why I had to go so high. That link you just gave me, will it give me another i7 if my current one fails or something? Is that what it is?

I'm at 4.5 now running at 1.4v. I'm not sure why I don't seem to be able to run 4.5 at 1.37v etc but I can't. Even Mike couldn't figure out why I had to go so high. That link you just gave me, will it give me another i7 if my current one fails or something? Is that what it is?

Is that FULL LOAD voltage monitored in Windows with CPU-Z?

That link you just gave me, will it give me another i7 if my current one fails or something? Is that what it is?

The intel link is a protection plan you can buy and they will send you a new chip if you fry yours.

As for your volts how are you measuring them?

Through @BIOS and my regular BIOS. One thing I have noticed since I bought the desktop in August was that I ordered 8GB DDR3 RAM at 1600mhz, but it has always showed 1333mhz and I'm too nervous to try and change it to 1600 because it can cause me major problems if the company installed the wrong RAM.

Through @BIOS and my regular BIOS. One thing I have noticed since I bought the desktop in August was that I ordered 8GB DDR3 RAM at 1600mhz, but it has always showed 1333mhz and I'm too nervous to try and change it to 1600 because it can cause me major problems if the company installed the wrong RAM.

That is because your CPU supports 1333 by default so it slows it to this speed. You will have to manually select 1600mhz or select the right XMP profile in your BIOS (if your ram supports XMP). I prefer manually setting but it is your call. My BIOS initially set my ram at 1333 and I had to change it to 1866.

The first guide I posted will walk you through ram settings in addition to your OC.

Changing the ram from 1333 to 1600 won't ruin anything. If the ram is currently working it is installed correctly. Worse case scenario is stability issues that will require tweaking or fail to POST.

Could this be one of the issues as to why I can't run 4.5Ghz at 1.36v? Because I've been using 1333 for the past 8 months? Okay I'll change i to 1600 soon

Could this be one of the issues as to why I can't run 4.5Ghz at 1.36v? Because I've been using 1333 for the past 8 months? Okay I'll change i to 1600 soon

The ram should not be the reason for the high volt. Are you using predefined profiles for your OC or setting the BIOS manually?

Many board manufacturers have profiles that use way too high of a voltage IMO and that is why most people recommend hand OC'ing using guides then tweaking for final results.

If you can also provide shots of your bios it might help the forum members to find any likely issues.

Also some chips just won't OC or won't OC at "appropriate" voltages. Asus did a test of 100 D2 CPU's and found the following:

"Results are representative of 100 D2 CPUs that were binned and tested for stability under load; these results will most likely represent retail CPUs.

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz

2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz

3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)"

I have been changing it manually, I feel as if my max is 4.5 but its frustrating how I can't seem to get lower than 1.4v

----edit----

I think I have it stable at 1.38v, been running prime95 for nearly 4hrs now

I think you may have overclocked a little too much, or you fried your motherboard or CPU a little bit. As long as it stays stable and works, you're fine.

I have been changing it manually, I feel as if my max is 4.5 but its frustrating how I can't seem to get lower than 1.4v

----edit----

I think I have it stable at 1.38v, been running prime95 for nearly 4hrs now

When using an offset voltage with LLC, you usually can push the voltage much lower than with using manual. Also, when using manual, the voltage is always going to be at 1.38.

When using offset, it allows your cpu to 'cool-off' while in low load situations. This down-clocks the CPU and lowers the voltage around 1.0Vcore.

well I was running fine at 1.47v when it was 4.6Ghz but I noticed the volts were a little too high thats why i've dropped it. So there was never an issue, only that it was high volts. Now though I think I've found a stable position in the -3v

When using an offset voltage with LLC, you usually can push the voltage much lower than with using manual. Also, when using manual, the voltage is always going to be at 1.38.

When using offset, it allows your cpu to 'cool-off' while in low load situations. This down-clocks the CPU and lowers the voltage around 1.0Vcore.

Where do I find this? In my BIOS?

1.48 volts isn't going to fry your chip. Word Not Allowed has his running at this voltage too for over a year and he hasn't had a single problem. Although, for long term use, I don't think that it is very safe to leave it that high.

That is correct. I have been doing 1.48-1.54 since I got this chip, and not a problem.

But while mine holds this Vcore apparently, the question is how long and while this one might work very long with this, maybe other chips wouldn't. There is no way to know except to risk it.

Besides there is this guarantee from Intel you can buy...

1.48V is far from being "safe" for a 24/7 overclock. There will be an amount degradation at that level of voltage, so please don't take people's word for things like this. On the other hand, if you're planning on throwing the chip away 1-2 years later, I can see running such a high voltage around the clock.

That's it. I live with the risk and I will accept the consequences if they appear.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to tell Srdan he was dumb brave using that extreme voltage. :Big Grin: All in good fun, Srdan!

:Peace: :good:

I always said, if it holds until IB, when IB comes out, I'm prolly gonna pump 1.6 for 5.2 or so into it to see how long it lives!

Or gonna sell it... but that would be quite unfair methinks.

But to update something: I run my CPU quite cleverly, as Ben said, using Offset, correct LLC (don't know now, at work) and C1E and EIST I think is also on. CPU clocks down and Vcore goes down 99% of the time, except when flying, then it's being pumped with 1.48-1.5 for 4.8 currently.

I think one of the key elements on not burning your CPU is keeping it cool. I think the reason my CPU is holding as much as it does is that I have watercooling and keeping it extremely cool all the time. Almost never over 80c, even in extreme conditions like summer + high usage + GPU and all.