Sign in to follow this  
jasonboche

Hawaii <--> Alaska

Producing small flying areas is a limited plan, eventually they are going to run out of areas. How many mountain areas can they publish before folks grow weary?

It seemed to work well for Orbx. :wink:

How many GA airplanes can be made before people grow uninterested?

Carenado anyone?

My new conspiracy theory:

Would be great! We'll see... :wink:

I just go down to our local marina and stare at the water for four hours

I do that a lot too, but I usually have a fishing pole in my hands at the time.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

It was a sideways remark that if I found it exciting to fly over water for four hours, from Hawaii to Alaska, I should be able to get the same amount of excitement by staring at any water for four hours. Not funny, but then I'm good at bad jokes.

It seemed to work well for Orbx. :wink:

no doubt! And surely Flight will be able to get away with selling Alaska, the Rockies, Alps... but how many? There has already been rumblings about "Another warplane???", so it's not too hard to imagine the same "another mountain area?"

But leads me to another side thought- how is ORBX and all these other companies doing so well with their addons, but MS doesn't feel as though FSX was successful? "The entire wold" and the "complexity" had nothing to do with MS's percieved success of FSX- it's the business plan that failed, and it's the business plan that is the major change with Flight.

Just realised, I don't want to create another conspiracy/hater/why can't we all get along thread. I said my peace and wont respond anymore here.

Please resume why flying over water for 4 hours sucks- especially considering no ATC to play with, no AI traffic, no dynamic weather, and only 1 sim speed.

Thanks! :Peace:

It was a sideways remark that if I found it exciting to fly over water for four hours

Frank! I was making a joke. :) Besides, flying over water for that long IS exciting if your fuel/range calculations fall a bit short of your destination.

...and only 1 sim speed

Wait.. are you saying that not only do you fly autopilot all the way, but you also use time compression?? In my 2500+ hours in FSX I've only used time compression once, after landing, to allow ice to dissipate after getting a considerable buildup and barely making it to an airport.

Time compression. Sheesh. Well take heart, there are some references to it in the new default standard.xml.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Please resume why flying over water for 4 hours sucks- especially considering no ATC to play with, no AI traffic, no dynamic weather, and only 1 sim speed.

Well, first of all 'flying for 4 hours' sucks already imho. :wink: Flying for 4 hours over water must be the suckiest thing ever. :wink: Flying for 4 hours over water without ATC, AI, etc. etc.... I don't want to use bad language here, so I'll leave it at this. :wink:

BTW I don't understand the logic when you say people may get bored after a few regions... First of all, who said they will only do mountain regions? Secondly, you make it sound as if it is impossible to come up with various regions that will keep people entertained. If that would not be possible, then the LAST thing you would want to do is release the entire world as scenery.... I mean, if you don't like the scenery anymore after a few regions, how can you suddenly like even more regions... that make up the entire world...? What you are saying is: 2 regions are fine, 4 are boring, 6 suck, 8 is disgusting, but 4000 regions (or any number that fills the entire world) suddenly is... awesome and what you want! That doesn't make sense. If you know what I mean... :wink:

Not knowing that much about Alaska besides that it is big and that they sprung Sarah Palin on us, are there not a few large airports up there and regularly scheduled flights with big metal? Or is it all GA?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Not knowing that much about Alaska besides that it is big and that they sprung Sarah Palin on us, are there not a few large airports up there and regularly scheduled flights with big metal? Or is it all GA?

For MS all the world is populated by GA planes only.

Also life forms coming from other galaxies will arrive not with spaceships, they will come using GA aviation, MS stated that multiple times.

Sarah Palin agrees on that.

Wait.. are you saying that not only do you fly autopilot all the way, but you also use time compression?? In my 2500+ hours in FSX I've only used time compression once, after landing, to allow ice to dissipate

Yeah, if I'm in an airliner and the flight is more than an hour, I'll use time compression. Congrats to you on your accomplishments.. you have more patience than I do! Or time, or something that is just not me! :)

I enjoy watching the sun set or rise, I enjoy watching weather patterns grow or dissipate, I enjoy seeing the shore line appear on the horizon, I enjoy checking off the cities one by one as I fly overhead, and time compression accomplishes this for me. What I don't enjoy is a flight that takes me all week of spare time. I've got laundry to do!

I like skip to the next point in CFS just fine, but I would prefer compression for long GA/Commercial flights.

Well, first of all 'flying for 4 hours' sucks already imho. :wink: Flying for 4 hours over water must be the suckiest thing ever. :wink: Flying for 4 hours over water without ATC, AI, etc. etc.... I don't want to use bad language here, so I'll leave it at this. :wink:

BTW I don't understand the logic when you say people may get bored after a few regions... First of all, who said they will only do mountain regions? Secondly, you make it sound as if it is impossible to come up with various regions that will keep people entertained. If that would not be possible, then the LAST thing you would want to do is release the entire world as scenery.... I mean, if you don't like the scenery anymore after a few regions, how can you suddenly like even more regions... that make up the entire world...? What you are saying is: 2 regions are fine, 4 are boring, 6 suck, 8 is disgusting, but 4000 regions (or any number that fills the entire world) suddenly is... awesome and what you want! That doesn't make sense. If you know what I mean... :wink:

the bottom line is that releasing single regions is a limited resource. And at some point, some gamer is not going to be interested in the next region available for whatever reason (same hoops, same burgers, same whiney passengers, more mountains?, etc), but they just might be interested in making their own adventures somewhere else in the world (like flying from their own home town). MS has nothing to lose by selling that user the rest of the globe for $50, while they continue to release small hidef areas with the built in missions- same as it ever was. Nothing unreasonable about that.

The biggest problem with releasing the whole planet right now, is that it has the potential to cannibalize their current sales potential. Either MS would have to sell the world with the chunks missing for future upgrade, or they would have to hope people with the full world add on would still be interested in hidef areas and missions. even though they already have that area.

Sorry I broke my embargo. But I promise to be pleasant and open, if you all do as well.

So, if MS will produce a scenario of Madagascar where you will be able to fly boxes of lemurs with your Maule, you will never be able to export those lemurs in Africa for instance as a clandestine mission.

I'm laughing pretty hard right now!

Well, as I said, I know little about Alaska, but on a whim I goggled "Alaska Airlines" on the assumption that something like that (or a similar name) existed, and sure enough it does and flies big metal.

On a serendipitous note, the first page of their website is advertising "Exclusive Aloha Savings" Hawaii Getaways!!! :LMAO:

http://www.alaskaair...d=0&AFL=_imwave

http://www.alaskaair...|20120402_ASV||

The moral is: Who knows what MS has up its sleeves?

110326-alaskaHawaii-01.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

the bottom line is that releasing single regions is a limited resource. And at some point, some gamer is not going to be interested in the next region available for whatever reason (same hoops, same burgers, same whiney passengers, more mountains?, etc), but they just might be interested in making their own adventures somewhere else in the world (like flying from their own home town). MS has nothing to lose by selling that user the rest of the globe for $50, while they continue to release small hidef areas with the built in missions- same as it ever was. Nothing unreasonable about that.

The biggest problem with releasing the whole planet right now, is that it has the potential to cannibalize their current sales potential. Either MS would have to sell the world with the chunks missing for future upgrade, or they would have to hope people with the full world add on would still be interested in hidef areas and missions. even though they already have that area.

Sorry I broke my embargo. But I promise to be pleasant and open, if you all do as well.

Sounds like FSX, the only difference being that MS does the addons instead of third party devs... I don't know why MS didn't do this, really. I have no clue. It would have been fine with me and I am sure with everyone who loves Flight.. and with everyone who loves FSX! But for whatever reason it didn't happen and I don't think it will, at least not soon, I can imagine MS doing it the other way around: after a few years of releasing regions and when everyone has had enough of it all, they may release some low res world scenery... :wink:

BTW They won't release the world with missing chunks because I don't think MS knows yet what they are going to release the coming years. I do think it depends on what people buy and like and say.

Don't be sorry for breaking the embargo: it's nice talking to you! :wink:

On a serendipitous note, the first page of their website is advertising "Exclusive Aloha Savings" Hawaii Getaways!!! :LMAO:

http://www.alaskaair...d=0&AFL=_imwave

http://www.alaskaair...|20120402_ASV||

HaHahahahahahah!!

LOL That's very funny indeed...!!! :wink:

World release ?

There will be no more than 2-3 regions per year for 2012. And 2 of them are already done.

2013 region production will depend on 2012 DLC results so for the moment there is a chance that 2013 will bring nothing if 2012 DLC will have bad results.

To summarize, only another region will be produced for sure and this will happen during late fall 2012.

I bet it will be Madagascar, i am already preparing my Maule for delivering boxes of noisy lemurs. :wink:

So, if MS will produce a scenario of Madagascar where you will be able to fly boxes of lemurs with your Maule, you will never be able to export those lemurs in Africa for instance as a clandestine mission.

I would definitely pay money to fly Clandestine missions with boxes of lemurs from Madagascar to Africa. What other flight sim offers this amazing opportunity? I better see their tails sticking out the windows!