Sign in to follow this  
jasonboche

Hawaii <--> Alaska

Just out of curiosity, for those dreaming for the ability to fly between Alaska and Hawaii (once Alaska is released), do you realize the distance between Alaska and Hawaii and how long that would take with the planes currently available today, not to mention the chair commitment without autopilot or HDG/ALT hold?

Those are just dreams. Does it really look like people are actually going to spend like 8-10 hours flying manually from Honolulu to Anchorage? No. They are dreaming only IF Microsoft creates a Jetliner like a 747, 767, 777, 787, A330, A340, A380, etc. I doubt they would at this moment, but no one knows.

If they are following Flying Wild Alaska, they may be making a bush plane instead.

The real question is : how much will it take to cross Alaska with a plane built in 1940-1950 ? ( AKA the new upcoming DLC )

Much more than going from Alaska to Hawaii with a plane built in 1960-1970.

Even with a jet it's going to be a few hours but that's ok because that's simmers get off on.

The real question is : how much will it take to cross Alaska with a plane built in 1940-1950 ? ( AKA the new upcoming DLC )

Much more than going from Alaska to Hawaii with a plane built in 1960-1970.

OH WAIT!!! We have the ICON!!! We can fly for a while, then land, then float (Hopefully in the right direction), then takeoff, then fly, then land, then float, etc. Again and Again and Again.

Even with a jet it's going to be a few hours but that's ok because that's simmers get off on.

Airline simmers maybe. :wink: Even if I did get a 737 or whatever I wouldn't fly from Hawaii to Alaska. The idea alone... yikes. Not my idea of fun. Yes, I am quite happy with MS Flight... :wink:

That is what I don't get when folks say they want Alaska to be able to be connected with Hawaii, aka by flying it.

I fly the 737 in FSX, and enjoy it very much, but the thought of loading up a flight even in something like a 737 from Hawaii to Alaska has absolutely no appeal to me. About an hour and a half, two hours max at times flights are about all I can stand.

So I do wonder, if they were intertwined to where one could fly between them, how many actually would take the time to do so in whatever aircraft might be available to make that kind of haul...

That is what I don't get when folks say they want Alaska to be able to be connected with Hawaii, aka by flying it.

I fly the 737 in FSX, and enjoy it very much, but the thought of loading up a flight even in something like a 737 from Hawaii to Alaska has absolutely no appeal to me. About an hour and a half, two hours max at times flights are about all I can stand.

So I do wonder, if they were intertwined to where one could fly between them, how many actually would take the time to do so in whatever aircraft might be available to make that kind of haul...

Here is the answer.

I think that almost no one would love to make a 8 hours flight over the flat ocean.

The real reason/answer is that MS, preventing that from happening, is already deploying the basis to prevent that from happening also in the future so you will never have the possibility to fly from Toronto to Washington when in 2018 some 3rd party content would be somehow allowed...

I think now you have grabbed the concept

I think now you have grabbed the concept

I think not, and that is quite the projection there.

But thank you so much.

I think not, and that is quite the projection there.

But thank you so much.

Joshua Howard stated that the entire world will never be done in Flight, only few limited small world areas will be produced in the next 2 years.

So, if MS will produce a scenario of Madagascar where you will be able to fly boxes of lemurs with your Maule, you will never be able to export those lemurs in Africa for instance as a clandestine mission.

Always dealing with a fence represents a severe limitation in terms of flight freedom, that's just the opposite of the concept of Flight and/or flying.

I don't know about that quote in particular, but 2 years is a far cry from 2018.

We can only hope MS is still producing something in the civilian flight sim market in 2018, and the future may well rest in the success, or not, of Flight - not necessarily whether one can fly continent to continent in the next two years.

I sincerely hope it does develop into a global sim at some point, or at the least be successful enough to keep MS interest to where they do develop another global flight simulator with all the bells and whistles some want.

MS did not quit FS series for no reason. They saw that it would not make them enough money, and because of that it is extremely unlikely for them to suddenly turn Flight into whole world including simulator, or make new FS.

But really we do not need MS to make us new FS, there is X plane and probably soon others too.

When I feel bad about the possibilities I just go down to our local marina and stare at the water for four hours. Same thing.

When I feel bad about the possibilities I just go down to our local marina and stare at the water for four hours. Same thing.

I can feel you.

Told that, I also have to cope with my desire to express my perplexities to MS here and within the beta forum and I always do that.

MS did not quit FS series for no reason. They saw that it would not make them enough money, and because of that it is extremely unlikely for them to suddenly turn Flight into whole world including simulator, or make new FS.

Making the rest of the world flyable isn't going to suddenly cause Flight fans to suddenly be uninterested and stop spending money on it. If anything, it is going to help further open up their customer base (bring back the simmers). As for the hours it is going to take to program it, they already own the base world, and surely they have the resources to update it- look at what ORBX or GEX has been able to do for FSX, or even joe nobody does for free in his spare time.

Producing small flying areas is a limited plan, eventually they are going to run out of areas. How many mountain areas can they publish before folks grow weary? How many people are going to buy Sioux City Iowa hoop courses and burger runs? How many GA airplanes can be made before people grow uninterested? How much of the gamer population is going to stay interested for years at a time- or perhaps not even until the next CoD is released? At some point in the future, the sales:cost ratio will be unfavorable for Flight's current plan.

My new conspiracy theory:

Howard has a plan to spoon feed the baby birds on a lower investment model for a while, bring in new customers, gives MS more time to work on the code, and hopefully turn in a reasonable profit. MS begins running out of areas to model, and at the same time the population of players with growing piloting skills starts demanding more than just another area with the same ol' schtick. Then Boom!, open the flood gates.

None of the excuses or reasons MS gave for not releasing the whole world ever made much common sense to me. This conspiracy plan will give MS two, three, four? years of exclusive (default) addon sales, then they will sell us the rest of the world (turning a one time payday into multiple years of paydays). Essentially wringing out every dollar they can before letting the 3pds in again to fill in the missing areas and planes. And bonus!- now they get a piece of the 3pd market too!