Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

New files announcements

I hope this is the correct place to request this. If not, please steer me in the right direction.

One aspect of the new website look is that the announcements for newly uploaded files seems to have become much briefer. In the case of repaints, both for flyable and AI aircraft, the majority of them don't identify the model the textures are for. On the old site you could read enough about a file to know whether or not it was relevant to you and then could find out more if you were interested, by clicking on the link. Now you have to go through the rather tedious procedure of looking at any that might possibly be for a particular model that you use - in most cases to find out it's for a model you don't use. Is there any chance of returning to the older and much more user-friendly announcement format and give a slightly more detailed description?

Cheers and thank you as always for the great work you do for our community

Ian

I hope this is the correct place to request this. If not, please steer me in the right direction.

One aspect of the new website look is that the announcements for newly uploaded files seems to have become much briefer. In the case of repaints, both for flyable and AI aircraft, the majority of them don't identify the model the textures are for. On the old site you could read enough about a file to know whether or not it was relevant to you and then could find out more if you were interested, by clicking on the link. Now you have to go through the rather tedious procedure of looking at any that might possibly be for a particular model that you use - in most cases to find out it's for a model you don't use. Is there any chance of returning to the older and much more user-friendly announcement format and give a slightly more detailed description?

Cheers and thank you as always for the great work you do for our community

Ian

OOPS - Sorry for the duplicated postings. I kept getting an error message when I tried to post and assumed that therefore it had not worked. On the third try I gave up and decided to try later - only to find out that all three were there. Me bad... Sorry

Have you tried logging on to the actual avsim library and clicking on "What's New" I don't detect any change at all!

vololiberista

Have you tried logging on to the actual avsim library and clicking on "What's New" I don't detect any change at all!

vololiberista

Hi there my VC10 friend. :) What I'm referring to is the daily announcement of new files that are available. When you click on it, it does look exactly like it used to - I agree. But the announcements used to include information that you could readily see of what model the textures are for - iFly737 or LevelD or whatever. I have noticed that this still happens occasionally, but for most of them it doesn't. I just figured that maybe the new format doesn't include that and think it would be good if it does.

Well, you may want to use the "what's New Link, which still works from the library side, and visit that day to day instead? I know it's not "like it used to be" but that was a function of what we upgraded to. Maybe the link for what's new will suit you better on a day to day basis?

http://library.avsim.net/whatsnew.php?ScanMode=1

Or, you are welcome to sign up for the daily emails of what is new, but that will look much the same as the news announcements I am afraid.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Ok. I'm not going to flog a dead horse but here's an excerpt from the announcements from Thursday's new files announcement...

Flight Simulator 2004 - AI Aircraft

OLT Express Germany Fokker 100 (2 variations) by Jakob Tischler, AI Aardvark

OLT Express Germany Saab 2000 by Jakob Tischler, The Fruit Stand

Air Class Cargo Boeing 727-200 by Augusto Diaz-Icasuriaga

T-38C Talon 47th FTW Laughlin AFB, TX by Jason Rogers

T-38C Talon Vance AFB, OK by Jason Rogers

Two of them are identify the model - AI Aardvark and The Fruit Stand. The other three are not identified. These are just a sample. I'm puzzled why it's possible for some uploads to contain this information and other not to do so. Previously, this was standard.

It's no big deal I guess - it just strikes me as being less user friendly than the old one and if it can be done with some of the announcements, why not all of them?

Not trying to be a PITA - I deeply appreciate all the work you all do. I just thought it was something that could be easily tweaked so it's as useful as the old format used to be.

Cheers

Ian

The titles themselves that you are seeing come from the file author. As our library team processes the files, if they can quickly and clearly see what the model is supposed to be, in SOME cases they will edit the title to fit. If not, then the author's title will stand as submitted. I'm afraid this is on the Dev's to be more specific in thier titles. But the above is not something we, or the library, or the new forum and page changes, has made a difference to. It's just how they are getting submitted.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Actually we have received some angry e-mails (some abuse too) from some uploaders for adding stuff like AI Aardvark, The Fruit Stand, etc.. after the author name. Some authors are not happy with that and want just their name to appear in the author field (as they uploaded the file). Subsequently we try to add stuff like AI Aardvark, The Fruit Stand in the description for the file if its not already mentioned - it usually is mentioned somewhere. At any rate we do try to ensure that for all repaints (AI and flyable A/C) in the library its mentioned either in the description or author filed for what model the repaint is for.

Flight Simulator 2004 - AI Aircraft

OLT Express Germany Fokker 100 (2 variations) by Jakob Tischler, AI Aardvark

OLT Express Germany Saab 2000 by Jakob Tischler, The Fruit Stand

Air Class Cargo Boeing 727-200 by Augusto Diaz-Icasuriaga

T-38C Talon 47th FTW Laughlin AFB, TX by Jason Rogers

T-38C Talon Vance AFB, OK by Jason Rogers

Two of them are identify the model - AI Aardvark and The Fruit Stand. The other three are not identified. These are just a sample. I'm puzzled why it's possible for some uploads to contain this information and other not to do so. Previously, this was standard.

Ian, I'm sorry to have to contradict you - but this has never been standard. The current situation is the way things have always been. We try to make everyone happy and on occasion we do get criticised (sometimes even blasted) from both sides - Damned if we do, Damned if we don't :biggrin:

- all part of the job :biggrin:

The titles themselves that you are seeing come from the file author. As our library team processes the files, if they can quickly and clearly see what the model is supposed to be, in SOME cases they will edit the title to fit. If not, then the author's title will stand as submitted. I'm afraid this is on the Dev's to be more specific in thier titles. But the above is not something we, or the library, or the new forum and page changes, has made a difference to. It's just how they are getting submitted.

OK, thanks John. I thought maybe the new format had reduced the amount of text space in the announcements and so it was maybe blocking out some info in the longer ones. Odd that it seems to have become so noticeable since the change over, but maybe it was just something I wasn't noticing before. Thanks for your information

Actually we have received some angry e-mails (some abuse too) from some uploaders for adding stuff like AI Aardvark, The Fruit Stand, etc.. after the author name. Some authors are not happy with that and want just their name to appear in the author field (as they uploaded the file). Subsequently we try to add stuff like AI Aardvark, The Fruit Stand in the description for the file if its not already mentioned - it usually is mentioned somewhere. At any rate we do try to ensure that for all repaints (AI and flyable A/C) in the library its mentioned either in the description or author filed for what model the repaint is for.

Ian, I'm sorry to have to contradict you - but this has never been standard. The current situation is the way things have always been. We try to make everyone happy and on occasion we do get criticised (sometimes even blasted) from both sides - Damned if we do, Damned if we don't :biggrin:

- all part of the job :biggrin:

Don't apologize for contradicting me my friend. My wife has made it a lucrative career so I'm quite used to it! :Just Kidding:

No problem Ian, your idea is sound; it has cropped up before and we have tried to implement it in the past ourselves too - but the reality was that it ended up annoying some uploaders and for that reason we never made it a standard practice.

Unless it's just a fluke, it looks from today's announcements that somebody came up with a great solution. I hope it doesn't add a lot of extra work for the AVSIM staff but it really does help - today I saw in a glance what I needed to know without having to open each one.As always, thanks for all the great work you guys do!