Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Unorganized Frontpage

The front page appears disorganized. It seems to be a simple time line of things as they come in to you. I thought a proper frontpage should have specific areas for items of importance and common interest. It is just a jumble of "stuff" that has no order and no delineation as to date published. It is very unfortunate that the person who made the decision was compelled by unknown forces to do so. A bad decision.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

It is very unfortunate that the person who made the decision was compelled by unknown forces to do so.

It's very unfortunate that someone whom had nothing to do with the planning, research and decision making could make such a presumption. :Thinking: Just saying... What no one who complains realizes is the amount of complaints about the OLD site being old was drastically larger than the small percent of complaints of the NEW site. Statistically speaking we're doing alright, I'd say.

It's very unfortunate that someone whom had nothing to do with the planning, research and decision making could make such a presumption. :Thinking: Just saying... What no one who complains realizes is the amount of complaints about the OLD site being old was drastically larger than the small percent of complaints of the NEW site. Statistically speaking we're doing alright, I'd say.

Wow. What a presumptuous and egotistical reply to what I regard as a very valid comment about the New Look. Frankly, I hate the New Look. "Just saying"...

I've been an almost daily visitor to avsim for somewhere around 10 years, and I've never had a problem with the home page organization.

I've bided my time, thinking I might get used to the new look. Well, your antagonistic reply to the OP prompted me to weigh in. I Don't Like It. To me it seems like a change for the sake of making a change.

In my "real world" job I'm involved in my company's web site presence, so I know a little bit about this stuff. A site redesign should have some kind of value-add to the visitor and frankly, I don't see any benefit. In contrast, my eye moves around the home page a lot more than it used to and that's A BAD THING.

Avsim has been my go-to site for flight sim news but to be honest, I'm starting to look for an alternative.

(Sorry Tom -- you've been doing an awesome job all these years but someone has lost the key to the place.)

Dave B.

San Jose, CA

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Sorry you feel that way blave, but Chase is correct. We had far more people complaining that our old site was dated, and "old" to look at. So we started looking for an alternative, that both brought the software to the latest century and at the same time integrated some items in the back end. We're not done yet, as we are also revamping the library to become part of this software at some point soon.

But back to the topic, statisically the amount of complaints we are getting about the new format is MUCH LESS then what we got about the OLD site. Add that to the ability to more easily maintain from the back end, you get the idea. I'm sorry you don't like it, but this version is here to stay. (with modifications of course. Tom needs something to do with all his new found free time. :Big Grin:

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Yes, I kinda figured that the site redesign is pretty much a done deal. More than anything I was annoyed by the condescending response that the OP got.

BTW my biggest beef with the New Look is the 2-column arrangement of news....

Dave.

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

I can understand that too. It's taken me some time to get used to it, and with some lower resolutions it does get cramped. It's a point of discussion, so we'll see.......I cant promise it will or wont change, as the scrolling DOWN would get longer. But rest assured Tom and I are viewing these forums and we'll address as best we can.

thanks.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Hi,

I like the look of the new site but have one question. Is it just me or now under the review section you can't browse by category and only by year?

Jon