Sign in to follow this  
fsxkitty

How long does Flight take to start for you?

I wouldn't mind 3-4 minutes. Does it matter where on your hard drive the application is installed and run from? My downloaded Flight and install both vanished before I could even start the program.

Keith Guillory

I doubt a new PC will work with the load times. Maybe a faster HDD or an SSD will work.

That's why I'm getting a Vertex 4.

If anything is accessing the HDD during the load such as an AV scanner, it's going to dramatically degrade start time.

With a machine 5 years old, you might have an IDE controller and a not so stellar hard drive. You could have a poor sustained read rate possibly as low as ~18B/s. That will bump up your load time to very close to 2 minutes.

If anything is accessing the HDD during the load such as an AV scanner, it's going to dramatically degrade start time.

With a machine 5 years old, you might have an IDE controller and a not so stellar hard drive. You could have a poor sustained read rate possibly as low as ~18B/s. That will bump up your load time to very close to 2 minutes.

My average read is 64.9 MB/s.

Lots of tools available

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/Disk-Bench.shtml

Or

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

Or

Test Your Hard Drive Speed With Windows 7′s Device Manager – You can test your hard drive speed by going to the Device Manager, Expanding the Hard Drive Controllers, select the Port and Click on the Test button.

Or

At a command prompt run the following command as an administrator:

winsat disk -drive c (you can substitute c with the drive letter of your choice)

About 50 seconds with all DLC except the Mustang

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks for posting that Sarlac. For some reason I can't find the HD test feature in my device manager. I wonder if that is only available in better than Home editions of Win7 64b.

I did use winsat and found that the read rate jived with the results from Perfmon.

So what I would say is that anyone using an SSD can probably expect start times in under 15 seconds. It will take a little longer than the SSD reads because Flights login to Live! seems to move about 4MBs of data to complete.

--

Jasonboche,

I noticed that Flight starts significantly faster if you close it and relaunch without rebooting the workstation. In my case it takes around 10 seconds without a reboot, if I close it, wait a minute and reopen. Did you try it from a fresh reboot?

.5 seconds sounds like you're running off a cache. If that is performance is consistent for you after a reboot, I'd love to know your specs!

Fsxkitty,

The forum won't let me edit my last post to include this suggestion. Try defragging your hard drive. You might gain a bit of performance if you have never done this.

I tried the device manager test too and couldn't find the test either. All that info came from a quick googling though.