Sign in to follow this  
Tomol

Custom FSX computer spec help please?

Hi, so I'm a flight simulator enthusiast and this is what I want out of the game;

To run on 3 screens in SLI or Eyefinity,

have at least 20-25fps ,

be able to install add-ons that will run seamlessly,

be able to max out the graphics.

So I have been looking at computer components and for the new computer this is what I am thinking;

-CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)

-Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0 SAATA 6GBs, ATI CrossfireX

-RAM - 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz

-GPU - 2x 1GB AMD RADEON HD6790

- Hard Drive - 500GB 3.5" SATA-3 6GB/s

-Power supply - CORSAIR 650W Enthusiast Series TX650 V2-80

-CPU cooling - Standard intel cooler

Including all standard sound cards and network facilities, Will all of this be compatible? and will it run the game how I want it?

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated!

Ps. Been researching more and ive found that maybe 2 NVIDIA cards would be better in SLI mode as the clouds for the AMD cards dont work in fsx what you think and which cards? I know I will have to change mothorboard for this.

Say, did you read the guide stickied to the top of the hardware forum. And in my sig? There is just too much wrong with this setup.

And a warm welcome to the forums!

Yes I have just read it and it doesn't answer any of my questions sorry, first of all I want to run either surround or eyefinity and I can't run surround without sli with an NVIDIA card, but fax doesn't like sli so I thought one radeon HD6970 card would be excellent for the job as it allows eyefinity on one card. What is wrong with the rest of the setup?

Thanks,

Tom

I think 680 can run the 3 monitors. There is another thread about it just in the video section I believe. Take a look over there. That one I don't know a lot about.

But I know I wouldn't run 3 monitors, because it kills performance. One huge monitor is what many prefer.

2600K -> why not 2700K? Better overclocker, you will want to do it, otherwise very little chance of getting what you want.

16GB RAM -> for what? Explained in the guide. (I take this is going to be an FSX computer)

ATI sucks for FSX in general. Nvidia does much better job, especially in clouds and anti-aliasing / anti-shimmering (IQ).

What harddrive? Need a spec. In the guide there are enough suggestions. One drive for the FSX machine won't cut it.

650W if you plan going two GPUs is way too low.

Cooling - standard CPU cooler? That is like, a biggest no-go for building FSX machine.

Now, since you read the guide, most of these questions have been answered for you. CPU, RAMsize, HDD, PSU, Cooling.

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)

2700K would be a much better choice. Any good chips in production are now being labeled as 2700K's so any 2600K left out there if likely not going to give nearly as good of results as the 2700 will.

2600K -> why not 2700K? Better overclocker, you will want to do it, otherwise very little chance of getting what you want.

You stole my post! :Big Grin:

-GPU - 2x 1GB AMD RADEON HD6790

Definitely avoid the AMD cards at all costs. - They perform much slower than the Nvidia cards in FSX. I very strongly recommend a single GTX680 to power your three displays.

At the moment there is no point of getting a 2600K. The 2700K is only slightly more expensive and overclocks better...

AMD is not good for FSX. A GTX 680 can also run 4 monitor of one card.

16GB of RAM is overkill. 8GB is the sweetspot. Make sure the CAS latency is not too slow, remember, lower is better. Something like 1600 CL7 or 2133 CL9 is perfeclty fine. I noticed a noticable decrease in microstuttering when upgrading from 1600 MHz to 2133 MHz. The clockspeed has more influence than the CAS Latency btw. But with Word Not Allowed's new VSync tweak, microstutters are not that much of a problem anymore to be hoenst.

nm...

You really want an aftermarket CPU cooler...

noctua DH14 (huge)

Corsair H80/h100

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This guy has what I want, here are his specs:

Full specs:

Case: Corsair 800D Full Tower Case w/ Side-panel Window

Power Supply Upgrade: 900 Watts Power Rocketfish Power Supply

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ i7 960 OC @ 4.04 GHz 12MB cache LGA1366

Water Cooled: Corsair H100

Motherboard: : EVGA Classified 3X SLI X58 Chipset 6 Slots for Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 MAX 24 GB RAM, SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0

Memory: (Req.DDR3 MainBoard)(3 x 4GB) PC12288 DDR3/1600mhz Triple Channel Memory

Video Card: RADEON 6870

So i've agreed with you guys I will go for 2700K i7 processor, however I still don't understand how an AMD RADEON HD 7950 wouldnt be able to handle what I want when this guy has a Radeon HD 6870 a worse series?

Also this guy has Radeon card

The reason I don't want to go NVIDIA is because I've heard FSX doesn't like SLI and I cant have Surround without going SLI so I need to go eyefinity as I can have one card and still go eyefinity? its not that I have a grudge agains NVIDIA i'm currently a NVIDIA card user :)

Is it only me, or is this guy in the video flying default scenery with a default MS aircraft?

And btw. do you see how FSX streches the buttons on the right screen? The further right it gets, the "longer" the buttons become. Not something I would prefer, but it's up to everyone to judge.

how an AMD RADEON HD 7950 wouldnt be able to handle what I want when this guy has a Radeon HD 6870 a worse series?

Because obviously he was flying in a light weather (Nvidias really shine when it comes to clouds and bad weather coupled with anti shimmering techniques). Question is, does he even have REX installed, or PMDG NGX, or UTX? Any addons at all? Because I can't identify anything but hardware. Awesome hardware at that.

Also this guy has Radeon card

Yes he does. Also he has very low framerates. Look at the water at the left hand side of the left screen. See how it "stutters". That's an indication of very low frames. I'll bet he has around 15fps running there... and that on a quite default setup.

Also, a default aircraft?

I would just like you to think twice about the 3 screen setup. If you tell me, you can live with the streched picture, all is fine.

Nvidia 680 can do 3 screens by default.

Let me remind you what you wrote on in the first post:

To run on 3 screens in SLI or Eyefinity,

have at least 20-25fps ,

be able to install add-ons that will run seamlessly,

be able to max out the graphics.

Question is, which addons.

You want all the bells and whistles, you want 3 screens with insane resolution. It's just not doable.

Whatever you get, I don't believe you'll be running NGX (you'll probably eventually want it, because it's the Nr1 in commercial airliners) flying into an addon airport, with addons, on maxed out graphics in the 3 screen setup at 25fps.

I am barely fighting to get 25fps in my NGX as it is, and it drops to 18 at UK2000 EGLL when in VC. And that on a quite powerful system (doesn't get any better than this).

I'm contemplating of going 27inch screen, but am afraid what it would do to the performance. So, what would a 1920x3 do to it, I don't dare to imagine.

Ok so I have been pricing up other set ups and how about this one:

- Case: Silverstone Precision PS04B

- CPU Intel Core i7 2700K Unlocked (4 x 3.5 GHz) 8MB

- CPU heatsink - Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise

(probably will get better one)

- RAM - corsair 16GB PC3-10666 1333 MHz (4x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

- GPU - 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 1.2 GB - SLI

-Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77)

- PSU - Cooler Master 750W

So a single Nvidia 680 card can do surround gaming even when not in SLI?

RAM - corsair 16GB PC3-10666 1333 MHz (4x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

Too slow.

- GPU - 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 1.2 GB - SLI

IMO, the 580 does very good in FSX. So why not two? They are cheaper now and you can surely get two quite cheap, maybe even 2nd handed.

So a single Nvidia 680 card can do surround gaming even when not in SLI?

Yes. Apparently.

http://forum.avsim.n...direct-cuiitop/

Requires use of a display port. Read on.

Oh btw. did a test for you (and for me), managed to get my monitor up to 2560x1440:

UK2000 EGLL + NGX sitting at the runway, clouds just normal, I think fair weather:

1920x1200 = 24fps

2560x1440 = 20fps

Now imagine a GPU doing even more work, higher resolutions. Welcome to the FSX world.

Ok, so what would you reccomend, getting one GTX 680 or 2 GTX 570's in SLI?

I, personally, would recommend staying away from 3 screens. But that's me.

For 3 screens, if it must be, 2x GTX580 would be my choice.