Sign in to follow this  
DeferredChief

VOR Navigation RV-6A vs. Maule

Y'all,

I've figured out how to use the VOR instrumentation in the RV-6A to execute an ILS approach and landing in zero-visibility using the localizer and glide slope indicator.

The instrumentation on the Maule is different. I've figured out the VOR to the point where I can effectively use the localizer to line myself up with the runway centerline. However, I cannot find, or figure out how to work, the glide slope indicator in the Maule. Or does it not have one?

I went the opposite, I figured out the ILS on the Maule before I "got it" in the RV-6A. Love the HSI as course gauges go, so much better for navigating, IMO.

HSI's are a lot easier to use, yes!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The learning curve is a tiny bit steeper since it's a more complex instrument, but yes, the HSI is a much more capable and pilot-friendly instrument than separate DG and VORs.

Hm, that's odd... I posted something here and it has disappeared...? Weird... Anyway, all I said is that I like it that Flight offers various VOR gauges. They are different and both fun to use. Quite often I choose the airplane to fly with (Maule or RV) based on the VOR gauge that I would like to use that day. :wink:

Love the HSI as course gauges go, so much better for navigating, IMO.

When stepping up in flight training to the Commercial Pilot course, we went from Warrior IIs to a Cessna 172RG.

The Cessna 172RG had a few more avionics in it that as a Student/Private Pilot we dreamed of using, an HSI being one of the new instruments... and yes it is a "sweet" instrument to have. Now NAVs info is part of the DG thereby included in your basic Instrument "T" Scan. It enhances your Situational Awareness a bit... nice that the DG is slaved to a magnetic unit correcting the DG's precession...

Here's a tip: when intercepting a given Bearing or Radial, align the Lubber Line with the Course Deviation Bar, keeping it there by turning, until the Bar centers with the Course Arrow / Pointer (and you are on course).

For example: Using the RoboRay pic...

It appears the selected Bearing is 205° and the current airplane heading is 175°. This 30° intercept could lead to an overshoot (of the selected course). Less of an intercept angle could be used by flying say... 185° to 190° (whatever the heading is where the bottom of the Lubber Line touches the top of the Deviation Bar). It appears then 185° to 190° would put the top of the Deviation Bar on the Lubber Line. Now it is a simple matter of keeping it there by turning toward the selected course (205°) as the Deviation Bar moves toward the Course Arrow. Eliminates the guess work of how much to turn and when.

Here's a tip: when intercepting a given Bearing or Radial, align the Lubber Line with the Course Deviation Bar, keeping it there by turning, until the Bar centers with the Course Arrow / Pointer (and you are on course).

Nice tip, thanks.

If the deviation bar were shorter (perhaps in a different plane?), aligning it with the lubber line would give a greater intercept angle... or are deviation bars always approx this length?

Gareth Howell

Cheshire (UK)

The HSI is a bit overwhelming for me coming from the gauges in the RV.

What do you use the heading select bug for? It seems redundant to me.

The HSI is a bit overwhelming for me coming from the gauges in the RV.

What do you use the heading select bug for? It seems redundant to me.

There are a couple uses for it.

This explains much better than I could:

© Hal Stoen

Heading bug Located on the compass rose is a movable heading bug, the orange triangle that is pointing at 340 degrees. This bug is moved around the rose by rotating the knob on the lower right. The heading bug can be used several ways. When hand flying the aircraft turn the bug to your desired heading. This way you will have a constant visual reminder. If Air Traffic Control gives you a new heading move the heading bug to the new heading and you have your visual reminder.

When using the autopilot in the HEADING mode, the autopilot will track on the heading selected with the heading bug.

THE COMPLETE NOVICES GUIDE TO THE HSI

http://stoenworks.co...e complete.html

Thanks for the great Tip Rob

or are deviation bars always approx this length?

"Always" the same length sir...

Bendix King KCS-55 HSI... and you'll see that as a "standard" pattern for EHSIs

And yes as Ramon said... the Heading Bug you use to set Assigned (or desired) Heading or if using the Autopilot that is the Heading the plane will fly if the AP is on and HDG selected.

btw Glad I could offer up some useful info guys. :-)

You can also use the heading bug to mark the proper heading to fly for a wind-correction angle, if you've got a serious cross-wind.

Ok, after reading that link (thanks for that btw), I think my question should have been:

In what scenarios would you have separate headings selected for the heading bug and the course selector?