Sign in to follow this  
hu_willy

Is dual Xeon E5-2690 + GTX680 3-way SLI necessary for FSX?

As topic.

Would this configuration be necessary, as I tend to use NGX, major airport, high-res texture, high AA, High AI settings, and all other resource-consuming setting?

Would this configuration be necessary,

Would most likely perform worse than 2700K overclocked to 5.0 + one single 680.

SLI cuts about 15% of your FPS in FSX. 2700K + GTX680 is your best bet.

Would most likely perform worse than 2700K overclocked to 5.0 + one single 680.

I'm inclined to agree. Though I will be building a dual E5 2687W system for a customer here in the next few weeks and I may just be able to run good old FSX Mark on it to answer this question :D It will only have a Quadro 4000 graphics card though, so that will be a bit of a bottleneck as it's not even as fast as a GTX 460SE :(

I'm inclined to agree. Though I will be building a dual E5 2687W system for a customer here in the next few weeks and I may just be able to run good old FSX Mark on it to answer this question :D It will only have a Quadro 4000 graphics card though, so that will be a bit of a bottleneck as it's not even as fast as a GTX 460SE :(

Great! I am really looking forward riser the result. Are you using EVGA SR-3 for this configuration? And do you need two power supplies for it?

Yes

Great! I am really looking forward riser the result. Are you using EVGA SR-3 for this configuration? And do you need two power supplies for it?

Yes, I will be using an SRX (SRX is the final product name, SR3 was pre-release speculation). Two power supplies are not necessary as long as you have a 24-pin and 2x 8pin connectors for the mobo, though redundant power supplies are nice.