Sign in to follow this  
ticosimmer

Is it me or this game is turning into a Combat Flight?

Now the P-40, an addition to the P-51, and the A6M2 Zero, sure it is not combat flight simulator still, but the skies are getting full of war planes without cockpits. I'm afraid this will be the direction in which flight is turnning to.

Only the maule, as a civilian aircraft has been released.

What do you think guys?

Well, if they're doing that they're going to have to tear down a lot of buildings in Waikiki and the greater Honolulu area, to make it more hysterically accurate. I don't think that would go over too well with the kamaainas, and it might even cost Abercrombie his re-election bid.

MS Flight, a combat game without the "combat".

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I'm a bit bored of Ms, I get back to Fsx, waiting for Alaska and a Boeing 747 :)

Seriously, the Flight's enthusiasm has vanished quickly, I miss jets and sceneries :_

Antonello M.

Ntnll, I almost feel the same way. But the visuals in Flight are still awesome. It's hard to give that up. Still, how to keep one's interest piqued? I guess I'll try some nail-biter IFR approaches for a while.

I think the "Challenges" feature could be improved. Figure out how to incorporate true multi-player events, or devise a sort of "leader board" or ladder and I'll there!

But the visuals in Flight are still awesome. It's hard to give that up. Still, how to keep one's interest piqued? I guess I'll try some nail-biter IFR approaches for a while.

Agreed. Very hard to give up on that. I am keeping myself interested by navigating only with VOR and following real world approaches plates. I am going to tweak the destination marker out of the game this evening and start doing jobs using VOR instead of those awful arrows. That should make flights a bit more fun. Removing the markers may make it impossible to complete the mission properly but I am not in the game for XP and achievements, so that's not a problem. Having passengers onboard or hearing cargo :wink: simply adds something nice to it all. Hopefully this all will keep me happy until Alaska arrives. :wink:

Hi,

"What do you think guys? "

​I suspect that Paul Allen is somehow involved in the selection of these aircraft

I just Googled "Paul Allen airplanes" and in the first result I saw that on June 9th there will be demonstration flights of the Zero and P-40 at Paine field.

Jim F.

demonstration flights

I was standing outside of the Azteca restaurant in Mukilteo last summer when their ME-109 flew over my head at low altitude!

If you come up with a marker removal tweak that works, please let us all in on how you did it.

I just did a job without markers and even ended it succesfully. I used VORs to get to my destination and since I picked a small airfield with only one runway landing on the right runway isn't a problem. Getting to the spot where you have to park the aircraft can be harder, but I accidently found it. I thought you could also skip to the parking spot but I couldn't. I've been told that skipping while on the ground doesn't take away your bonus points for not skipping during flights, but I couldn't check that today.

In case you don't know the tweak: open Flight.cfg, search for [PointOfInterestSystem] and change 'VisibleSetting=0' to 'VisibleSetting=1'. You will still see the cargo icon and the skip message and some text messages on screen, but the constant arrow or destination markers are gone completely. Again, it does have limitations, but I had a lot of fun doing the flight just now, moving dogs, using VOR only. Having to fly towards a destination marker for half an hour is sooooooo boring. Having to use real world navigation tools is a LOT more fun!

And btw as I said, even if I could not end the mission with points or whatever, the flight is a lot nicer with sniffing dogs and a person who says something every now and then. Big fun. (Although I have to add that after landing succesfully I really wanted to find that parking spot... I don't care about XP but... somehow I apparently do. :wink: )

EDIT

To get to Flight.cfg quick in Windows 7: copy this

%appdata%\microsoft\flight

into the Start search bar and hit Enter. The folder with Flight.cfg in it will open.

I suppose it would be too much to hope for to be able to switch the setting back (batch file to copy the default file back), once on the ground, so that you could taxi to the correct shutdown spot? Probably have to restart Flight to get it to take.

I suppose it would be too much to hope for to be able to switch the setting back, once on the ground, so that you could taxi to the correct shutdown spot? Probably have to restart Flight to get it to take.

Yes, you need to restart for that. The best solution of course would be MS giving us an ingame toggle for that onscreen stuff...!

Yes, I believe you would need to restart Flight after changing the config file.

I've been flying without the Destination Marker for a month now and don't plan to ever turn it back on. It doesn't actually matter which runway you take off or land on (winds permitting). The only headache is finding your parking spot at the end. I try to only take Jobs to small airports, or the few bigger ones with limited ramp space, so that it's easier to find the right one. You can just hit "N" if you can't find it.

I think they're heading in a slightly casual/arcady direction at the moment. Would be nice if they had it so all A/C could be flown at different levels of realism. From arcade to sim.

Only the maule, as a civilian aircraft has been released.

What about the Icon and RV6? The Stearman, although originally a military trainer, was also used as a crop duster, sport plane, as well as for aerobatics after the war. Presumably, the warplanes go with the Hawaii theme. Although it would be great if there were more, there are still more planes with full cockpits than without.