Sign in to follow this  
lodestar

real benefits of overclocking i7 2700K

I just upgraded my system, and I have now i7 2700K which run's a little bit above 4GHz by default, stock speed(I set max performance in BIOS and verified with z-cpu, it's stay above 4GHz on idle).

Fsx run smoothly at max settings, I have some stutters only arround big payware airports.

I was wondering, should i overclock my cpu and what will be the real benefits from OC to 4.8GHz for example vs my 4GHz right now? Can I eliminate stutters maybe, or get more smoothly fsx?

My system:

mainboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

CPU - Intel Core i7-2700K

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14

GPU - MSI N560GTX-TI TWIN FROZR II 2GD5/OC, 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express

Memory - 8GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-12800U CL8-8-8-24

Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

I have 2 SSD at 600 MBps, one for windows, and second for FSX. I think it would be shame not to do some overclock, but I was surprized how good is 2700K at stock speed, and I don't want to do OC without any real benefits from that. I didn't have good PC until now, and I want just to verify before OC.

Thanks

should i overclock my cpu and what will be the real benefits from OC to 4.8GHz for example vs my 4GHz right now? Can I eliminate stutters maybe, or get more smoothly fsx?

You will see a big jump in FPS when OC'ing.

I too just upgraded to a 2700K and have not begun to OC yet, but am a little confused - CPU-Z reports my "Core Speed" (lower left side) as about 1,605 Mhz - which I assume is 1.6 Ghz - I thought it would clock in at 3.5 out of the box?

Hans Soule

it's in some power saving mode I guess, start fsx and check it again. I set it from bios for max performance, becouse of that it's stay above 4GHz, cpu-z shows me 4018.3 right now

You will see a big jump in FPS when OC'ing.

Thanks,

Maybe this can help, becouse my fps is going down only on big payware airports and this is when I have stutters too

You were right, once I started FSX it climbed to about 3600. Then, it jumps back and forth between 1600 and 3600 when system is idle, stays at 3600 under flight "load", thanks

Hans Soule

Zeljko,

How did you set "max performance" in BIOS/UEFI?

I just upgraded my system, and I have now i7 2700K which run's a little bit above 4GHz by default, stock speed(I set max performance in BIOS and verified with z-cpu, it's stay above 4GHz on idle).

Fsx run smoothly at max settings, I have some stutters only arround big payware airports.

BTW - is it healthy for both MB and CPU?

Zeljko,

How did you set "max performance" in BIOS/UEFI?

BTW - is it healthy for both MB and CPU?

It's depends on MB, restart PC, Tap the "del" key before your PC loads the windows(this is for ASUS MB, if you have different MB look at instructions or google about this)to acces BIOS. Find CPU settings, or system settings and set for max performance - this depends on version of bios, bios utilities etc. What MB and BIOS you have? I can check step by step procedure on my system if you have asus MB

Yes, I have ASUS Z77 Sabertooth - it's in my signature. In the meantime I spend my evenings slowly reading this forums and manual for OC. I just got my system 2 days ago - it's gonna be rough and heavy month,

Ok, now I see that we have very similar systems. I'll try to write you step by step instructions here, but later, when I'll be able to restart PC. Anyway, It's a good system, I started this thread just to be sure that I will have some benefits from overclocking my CPU. I get very good fps right now, above 30fps(50fps most of time, it goes up to 70-80 in the air) with complex aircrafts(NGX, JS41, Maddog), my fps goes to 20 only at complicated big addon airports with lot off AI traffic, and this is the onlt places in fsx where I experienced stutters - not big deal, but I'd like to eliminate them.

I think that could be the big improvement of going to 4.8GHz, maybe I'll get better fps on addon airports, I think that is the reason for geting stutters.

I'll get this settings for you later

Cheers