Hi folks,

Im going to be starting a new build shortly and i need advice on a g/card for fsx (in particular) and fs9.

Currently im looking at a i5 2500k chip (so i can oc) either a z68 or a z77 mobo, 8g(2X4gb sticks) of samsung 1600mhz ram, and either a gtx 460 or 480 card - i have about 200-230gbp to spend on my card, but could increase it if it was going to be benificial, i realise i pretty much need 1.5 g of vram, and i am also prepared to oc my card(if i get a card with 700 core and i can clock it to 800 or so, then thats fine).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

EDIT: to add i will be getting windows 7 64bit so i can utilise all 8g ram

FN

GTX480 is older FERMI architecture and runs hot I would suggest at least a GTX570 which are coming down in price. I don't think that oc the video card will affect FSX performance significantly but it may be worth a try.

Good Luck

PeterH

GTX580 would be the best choice but the 570 will work great if you can't afford the 580. :smile:

Hi folks, many thanks for your advice, ok 300 gbp is a little much, but if the difference is THAT significant, then i would like/have to go for that, as i do want to start getting some more sceneries etc, airports etc etc and i would like to run them at as high a spec as possible.

At the moment i only have utx europe, and apart from the lights, and most default buildings that have been removed i dont really see much difference than default fsx

Whats the difference between the names - ie asus geforce gtx580, zotac gtx580, gigabyte 580 evga gtx580 etc etc - the list goes on,

Also my card clocks from 675/1450/1008 to 765/1745/1050, i dont really see that much difference, i understand that the 1.5g vram is a major difference, would the extra vram stop me getting "run out of virtual memory errors" or is that down to my xp only using 2.5g(even though fs is only using approx 1.85(task manager) and it also doesnt matter what i set my paging file to.

Kindest regards

paul.

asus geforce gtx580, zotac gtx580, gigabyte 580 evga gtx580 etc etc

Nvidia designs the GPU's technology. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte and others are the manufacturers. They are the ones that actually build the cards.

Hi folks, many thanks for your advice, ok 300 gbp is a little much, but if the difference is THAT significant,

Unless you are running Sparse Grid SuperSampling, there will be little difference in a GTX570 vs a GTX580. But, if you plan to run SGSS(SparseGrid SuperSample) then I'd go for a GTX580.

Hi ben thanks for the post, - Now ive tried many settings, and i have sgss set to 2x if i go higher i get sharp images with no shimmering(flickering) of aa in trees etc, but lose quite a few fps, so 2x is what i can accept, i much preferred nhancer but i know thats no longer usable due to driver version.

So im assuming gigabyte, asus and evga are the best/most reliable?

thanks ben

So im assuming gigabyte, asus and evga are the best/most reliable?

The EVGA Nvidia Ge-Force GTX580 would be the best choice. :smile:

I don't want to start a new thread for my Q... so let me piggy back here.

My GTX 8800 just went kaput. Although it has lifetime warranty and I have already gotten a card replaced earlier from EVGA.. I don't want to do that again.

I am going to be building a new IB/SB machine and intent to get the GTX685 whenever its released.... but until then, I need a card for my Dual Gore 3.2G hold out machine. I want to use this machine as a secondory FSX machine for panels and what not.. so I need a card for this anyway.

I am thinking of getting the 2GB GTX550 t1 (That runs for $155. the 1GB card is $20 bucks cheeper)... is this a good idea or are there alternate card for me?

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Manny

IMHO if you can stretch to it a GTX560TI or even the plain 560 would be a better bet. The 550 is a good cheap card but you will probably see better quality images using the 560.

Regards

PeterH

Thanks peter. I see a 560 with 1GB for around $175.

Does the 2GB memory help or the Ti part of the card be beneficial for FSX?

Manny

Manny

Does the 2GB memory help or the Ti part of the card be beneficial for FSX?

2GB of VRAM is complete overkill for FSX unless you are running extreme resolutions.

2GB of VRAM is complete overkill for FSX unless you are running extreme resolutions.

Using the GTX8800 I had 2 X 24" dell (1920 X 1200 X 2) and I had another 19" touch screen which I could not hookup..8800 couldn't handle the three monitors. But it managed the 2 Dells. It did stretch its 756MB VRAM

Eventually I intent to go 24" X 3 + a 19" touch.. But this card is for my current 2 X 24" and/or until I complete building my new system.

Manny

Manny

Manny

As Ben says you only need higher VRAM for large monitors or multi-monitors for a single monitor say up to 24" then 1GB VRAM is fine. I purchsed the 2GB model as it was on special and cheaper than the 1GB one.

Regards

PeterH