Sign in to follow this  
Air1

ICE PILOTS NWT

Want a idea what flying in Alaska will be like. Catch "ICE PILOTS NWT" out of Yellow Knife, North West territorties, Canada. Currently on the Weather Channel in the U.S. I think we get episodes a year behind Canada. Good show, extreme weather conditions, flying in really cold weather, burrrrrrrrrrrrr. They brought on of their C-47's down to EAA Airventure last year. Big job keeping those old birds in the air still working for a living.

Yah caught a few episoddes of this myself recently, it's better than Flying Wild Alaska in that they deal less with the person lives and drama of the pilots and ground staff. Still, it's a "reality show" rather than a biography in that they hype up the drama wherever they can trying to make every mistake seem like life or death. At least it's not as bad as Flying Wild Alaska where they try to make it seem like every time they land they're going to crash...

I still long for an even keeled show about flying that just shows what it's like to be a pilot in an airline and get's more into the logistics. But I suppose that won't sell well on commercial television. Best I've found so far is The Aviators from Canada, that airs on PBS in the USA. It's a half hour show that talks a bit about different aspects of flying on each episode, what it's like to fly an airline, what are LSV Planes all about, etc etc. It can feel a bit like some of the segments are paid spots at times, but at least it's more informative then sensational.

Last summer I rode my motorcycle to Yellowknife just to hop a ride on the "Sked" the daily scheduled DC-3 flight between Hay River and the 'Knife, piloted by non other than Living Legend Buffalo Joe himself. After the flight I managed a short conversation with Joe about my interest in aviation, and the fact that I rode from Vancouver just for that flight. He gave me a tour of the hanger and the interiors of the C-46, Electra, CL-215, and his Mk V Norseman. I got to hang out a bit and watch them do their stuff, not nearly as exciting as on the show though. However as an aviation geek, it was thrilling.

What a great opportuniy that was. Some thing to remember for sure. Thanks for the story.

Wow.....a very lucky you Kerberos42......I love the Ole DC-3 and C-46s too and....i was wondering IF you got any pictures of that exciting adventure at the Buffalo Hanger and when you was in flight ?.....i did see that episode on TV a few days ago and the C-46 that landed with 1 engine out and prop feathered.......sure take a lots of money to keep them airworthy.....the ole TWA Connie Engines cost around $150,000 to rebuild and that was a few years back.....no telling what that figure is now?

Anyway........Thanks for sharing the story here !

Crash in Kansas

Why?

I just shake my head sometimes and ask... Why?

I truly don't get it...

I truly don't get it...

+1

Same here, I don't either...

Did we just get hijacked again?

.i was wondering IF you got any pictures of that exciting adventure at the Buffalo Hanger and when you was in flight

That's the most painful part, my camera bag with DSLR, lenses, memory cards, backup drive, and laptop were stolen from my motel room in Dawson Creek on the way back. :( I spent an extra three days in Dawson Creek hoping the RCMP would be able to track it all down.

I do daily dropbox backups when I travel now...

Sorry about that Kerberos42, did the mounties get their man? Hope your bike was still at Yellowknive when you got back!

Best I've found so far is The Aviators from Canada, that airs on PBS in the USA.

Thanks for letting us know about this show! Just checked out their website. There are many short free episodes and you can watch seasons 1 and 2 online for only $20. I wish more shows had this kind of pay model where you could pay a little bit for shows you actually want to watch (especially when, like me, you don't have cable!) Anyways, watching season 1 episode 1 now which covers the following topics: AirVenture: America's largest aviation celebration, The US Air Force's C5M Supergalaxy, The Tiger Moth bi-plane, Miracle on the Hudson hero Jeff Skiles, Flat spin survivor.

ICE Pilots TV series just finished on german N-TV. Fun to watch but what stroke me most, was the girl searching at garbarge place seats for a birthday present. Heia, can't they afford new, cheap seats...I'd never go looking at such places!

Sorry about that Kerberos42, did the mounties get their man? Hope your bike was still at Yellowknive when you got back!

Bike was fine, I was only gone for the day. Never heard anything about the stolen gear, mine was one of 4 rooms that got broken into. I should not have left everything in the room, but it's a pain to pack up the bike everytime I want to leave the room. RCMP figure it was someone passing through town, as crimes like that are very rare in Dawson Creek, and stolen goods are not easily gotten rid of without someone recognizing it