Sign in to follow this  
Kris23

Landing the Maule

I just picked up microsoft flight not to long ago and been loving it, bought the starter pack via steam and have been flying the maule everywhere, only problem I have is landing.

I usually come in around 55 kts with my flaps fully extended, and touch down on all 3 at the same time, being as its a taildragger should I still flare? How do you land the maule usually? I've read somewhere you land with the front two wheels first then the back touches down, only problem is im afraid if i go for the first to wheels first ill descend to rapidly and crash

3 point landing is fine! Only skilled pilots can do that.

And when you do that you are already flaring.

But Full Flaps is only used for short strips and in clean air(low/no wind) Flaps 40° is usually preferred.

I land always at higher speeds than required like 60+ kts.The slower you fly, the sluggish the plane will react.

I do land fine, but its rough the copilot always makes a remark like Oh!, Ouch! indicating i hit to hard and you land faster? dont you hit hard on the surface?

Then you do not land fine ;)

What is your vertical speed?

I'm doing a mission right now with a medical patient about to land im 8 nm out, how can i check my vertical speed in the maule?

You are kidding?

You have a vertical speed indicator in the cockpit...

OK, i try to find a picture with descriptions of the cockpit indicators. It was shown in another thread.

maybe someone else know where it is?

In the meantime: try to fly a bit faster horizontal, and for the vertical descent slower. just before touchdown lift the nose a bit more so that the aircraft gently touches the ground.

Another hint could be: fly parallel a few feet above the ground and gently reduce power. the aircraft settle slowly on the ground.

If I'm bored enough at work tomorrow, I'll do a full Maule panel explanation, going over each instrument.

A good way to learn landings is to try to keep the airplane from landing. Just as you cross over the begining of the runway you should be less than 50 above it, pull the throttle all the way back slowly as the airplane continues descending. When you get to about 5 ft above the runway try to hold it level there by pulling back on the yoke. As the airplane slows it will want to descend and you will want to keep it from descending which will slow you down even more. The plane will descend because you have no power and will touch the runway on the main wheels. Practice like this several times and eventually you'll get a better feel for the airplane.

- Gary Letona

Just made a quick`n`dirty video.

I`m sorry for quality and the landing being not as the best example for teaching ^^

But maybe it gives an idea how Speed,Throttle, Flaps and Vertical Speed are interacting.

The other element to a good landing is the set up.

When you get to the airfield, imagine a 1 mile box around it. The intent is to fly over box so that the opposite side of it is right over the runway you are landing on. Fly the leg parallel to the runway you intend to land on at about 1000 ft AGL. Reduce throttle so that the airplane is flying not faster than 90 kts. Deploy flaps about 10 degrees. The plane will try to climb as flaps are deployed but push down on the stick to keep it leveled. When you are about 1 mile flying in the opposite direction of the runway, make a 90 degree turn towards the runway. Deploy more flaps about 20 degrees. Now make your last turn toward the runway on the final leg. Apply more flaps, about 40 degrees. Your plane should be flying at about 60 kts now. Be careful no fly below the stall speed (around 50 kts depending n the load). On final the descent rate should be about 500 ft/min. Once over the runway, throttle down to a flare, let the plane settle down

It takes practice but landings should be smoother.

Just made a quick`n`dirty video.

I`m sorry for quality and the landing being not as the best example for teaching ^^

But maybe it gives an idea how Speed,Throttle, Flaps and Vertical Speed are interacting.

Nice vid and nice landing! For newbies I would advice to line up with the runway a LOT earlier though and not in the very last seconds... :wink:

The other element to a good landing is the set up.

Good practice. It's called a circuit btw: people will find more info about this procedure when they google for 'circuit' instead of 'box'. :wink: