Sign in to follow this  
davidlondon

How to deal with virus risk of weather software

The ultimate sign is whether your credit card/bank account got ripped off. Most attacks are about MONEY. Never had a problem.

I've lost count of all the <current buzzword>-ware I've seen over the years. All infections were overt - the user was too stupid to notice them (even the the fake Anti-virus 2012 systray pop-up).

Best regards,

Robin.

I don't run anti-anything. Nothing. Nada.

Me neither. I use a firewall, but I know how not to get a "virus". It's completely impossible to use the internet and NOT get some kind of "virus". But as long as you're not going to questionable sites, or blindly opening email attachments you should be fine.

It's kind of like saying you are going to wear a biohazard suit everywhere you go just because you might catch a cold.

No anti-virus software can stop every threat, so even if you DO use it, you're still able to get something here or there.

I'm pretty adventurous though, I don't even use hand sanitizing wipes when I go to the supermarket and get a cart.

It's a miracle I'm not dead yet.

I could count on one hand the number of times I have gotten something on my computer that caused me any kind of grief, and every instance I was able to remove the threat myself.

Noah Bryant

I use Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5201

Free, very good and very lightweight on system resources. We all use it at PMDG. It has the exclusions feature I was talking about.

I personally think McAfee, Norton, any of the "big name" AV programs are super bloated and often do more harm than good in how much of your system resources they take up.

Could'nt agree more, i had nothing but grief with Norton/Panda but since i've had msse i've never had a single issue.

All for free too!

Chris Howard

Many thanks, Ryan - and to everyone else whose endorsement of the MSE approach has been VERY HELPFUL and reassuring. Done it! McAfee out, MSE in - live weather feed back on with confidence!

I've gone ahead and excluded the FSX file within the Microsoft Games folder (including all my PMDG folders) and also the FSX data folder within the ProgramData folder.

Based on the advice provided in the NGX introductory document, I will put these files back into scan temporarily from time to time.

Best wishes,

David