Sign in to follow this  
amorris

Don't Want to "Tune to Contact"

Hi, Guys. Great Product. On my last flight I thought I would add some realism and tune the radios myself. However, when told to change frequencies I could never get it done fast enough to keep from being chastised, even thought I thought I was acting with more than sufficient alacrity. The flight critique at the end even chewed me out for "not listening." So, is there any way to modify the settings to give me more time to tune my radios?

Thanks,

amorris

If you are not near a waypoint try tuning then ack to see if that works. However if you fly by a waypoint before acking you will not get credit for it.

In most cases real world the PNF (pilot not flying) does the comms . You can have the RC co-pilot take the comms but you give up a requesting a repeat communication if you do that. Most aircraft models will let the RC copilot use the radio. You also give up delaying an ack such as starting a climb before acking to avoid an impatient controller response.

Remember that RC4 uses its own frequency table that may not match the comm scenery data or your charts.

Hello

I could never manage to tune the radios quickly enough, this led me to buy some Goflight radios.

Ronzie, thanks for the reply, but I guess that means there is no setting for slowing down the nasty controller.

Mad dog, you're suggesting I spend more money -- always a last resort.

are you running at 2x or 4x speeds?

when you are acking the controller, are you doing a option 1 to ack, or a 7 to ack and contact?

you should be acking, changing the freq, and then choosing option 1 on the new menu. there is plenty of time to do this, without getting yelled out. but not if you are doing 2x or 4x speed, or if you are doing an ack and contact

jd

JD,

Appreciate the response, and apologize for the long, long time delay in responding back (vacation, etc). But, no, I never do 2x or 4x speeds, and I never ack and contact. In short, I'm doing just what you say: ack, change the frequency, choose 1 on the new menu. At least on my system, however, I strongly disagree there is plenty of time -- I cannot do it without chastisement from the controller. I was very much hoping there was some setting I could tweak to slow the impatient controller down.

Alan

Hi.

There's a page in RC itself for setting up various comms frequencies before starting a flight. That means you ought to know beforehand what freq to expect for the next phase of your flight. Set the standby radio to the next required frequency before you reach that point. Thereafter you only need to click the 'swap' button on your radio stack.

Plenty of time for that I think.

Cheers,

D

I have to agree very firmly with Alan. Even when the next frequency has been pre-selected on standby, hitting 7, swap and 1 (CTRL-1 in my case) has to be done very rapidly indeed to avoid being chastised. There have been many occasions when I simply couldn't do it quickly enough.

Stephen Banks