Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

$400 Million Submarine Damage

Yup, where nuclear submarines are concerned, you'd be amazed at the precautions they normally take. I have a friend who works where they build the nuke subs for the RN up at Barrow, and he was telling me that when you go on board the things, even when they are being built and so not yet fully commissioned, you have to strip off and wear disposable boiler suits like the kind you see in clean rooms where they make computer components. And literally everything you take on board it has to be accounted for, for example, if you go on board the thing to work and then disembark later, and you don't have a pen you had when you went on board, then they want to know why, where that pen is, etc, and everything stops until they find out where that missing item is. It really is that strict.

Mostly when I've seen that it was when doing rip-outs of asbestos pipe lagging. Also had a HEPA vacuum for ship's force. The yard had special blowers to create negative pressure in the sapeces for large scale rip-outs.

scott s.

naval officer restricted to engineering duty in a prior life

"we are kind of like you guys before you signed your independence."

That's not really true though is it?

Oz and NZ grumble about becoming republic.....yea it is kinda true. USA was the little guy on the block when they signed independence because they were upset with the big boy on the block. Today the other little nations are upset with the new big boy on the block being the USA as they basicly became like the British Empire they were once against.

NZ has issues today with the USA foreign policy telling our business' and banks what to do, that is no different when the British Empire told the USA what to do. It is a case of better watch what you ask for....

I am not anti-American as my mom is American...I am just like any other American that questions its government. In NZ we have more freedoms then the average American and what is ironic is America fought so hard for those freedoms that they have now given away. It is exciting to be apart of a young nation and I am glad to be here.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

I spent 2 years on a nuclear submarine while I was in the Navy and don't ever recall seeing a vacuum cleaner. Of course that was in the 70's, I don't what they carry on them now. By the way Tom, on submarines we see everything on the surface as targets.

Vacuums are common on boats. The yards have them, and the boat tends to have a shop vac or two onboard as well. I have personally seen them.

I work for that shipyard. This is obviously a pretty big deal for us, and it has yet to be determined exactly what happened with that vac.