Sign in to follow this  
Guest j-mo

Levelling off during climb/descent due ATC

Guest djhaslett

Hi all,I'm finding it a pain in the behind when the aircraft levels off momentarily at intermediate levels as assigned by ATC during climb/descent. Would be nice if ATC could issue further climb/descent instructions a minute or so earlier to prevent levelling off. Does anyone know of a fix for this?Darren

It happens in real life so why change RL simulated in fs? It's not difficult, in the 737NG (PMDG of course shameless plug) you can even stay in VNAV while you are not at the FMC crz altitude, simply reset tyhe MCP pusg VNAV or ALT INTV and up ya go ;-)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

I've onwed a real-life ATC radio scanner for over 5-6 years and I've used it around many airports.Sorry to disagree with you but this is not the way alt assignments are changed in real life at all: not in DEPARTURE or CENTER. Real ATC gives you your next altitude with plenty of time for you to continue an uniterrupted climb all the way to cruise altitude, at least not in the KMIA or KFLL area.

Guest djhaslett

I agree Kerke - thanks for your reply. I am an Australian enroute controller ("in real life"), and a good controller will not let an aircraft level off at an intermediate level without at the very least informing the pilot that there will be a short delay (due traffic etc). The pilot also will definitely let the controller know in plenty of time before levelling out if he thinks the controller has forgotten him! Anyway seems there isn't a fix for this particular problem - looks like we have to live with this one.

Guest RonB49

Try this Darren. If you are cleared to climb to 5000, then enter 5500 into the autopilot Altitude Hold window. If all goes well, ATC will issue then next altitude "step" as you climb throught 4800. If you notice that ATC is busy as you near 4800, then you can decrease your rate of climb or quickly reset your target altitude to 5000.Descending is just the opposite; if you are cleared to descend to 7000, then set your Alt Hold to 6500, monitor ATC, and get ready to reset the altitude as required. It works most of the time for me. R-

I agree Darren, and its not like that in real life either. The clearance in FS9 comes 200ft before the assigned altitude and if followed properly you and your passengers would be like a yo yo :-)MS should issue new levels at least 1000ft prior. This would give us enough time to continue a smooth climb/descent.So as another poster suggested, I enter plus 500ft in the auto pilot for climbs and minus 500ft for descents.I know from FS2002 users wanted step climbs but this is really not done well and MS obviously never checked this out with RL controller procedures.

Guest djhaslett

Thanks guys for your help. Will try it out and see how it goes.

Guest smoys

Actually that is not how it happens in real life. If ATC is going to issue you further clearances to higher altitudes, it will do so in plenty of time. ATC in FS gives clearances with about 200' to go...not good in a 1500fpm climb.Mike

This is the kind of thing FS9 Beta testers should have picked up and asked MS to fix before the final release -- it's an easy fix and it should have been done right!Now, does anybody know if there is an FS9 ATC config file somewhere where this may be changed to, say, 1000 feet instead of 200?

Using Radar Contact 3.1 I have found variations where stepping is required as opposed to continuous climb/descent patterns. Sometimes altitude changes are issued before a step is reached. In RC there is an options menu where you specify the type-class of aircraft you are flying and it appears that this affects your start of descent. I find sometimes I have to increase the rate of descent to meet the assignments as they are issued.Monitoring real approach at KMSP I hear jets calling in to approach while still descending from their last enroute assignment. When in the final stages of the approach pattern then stepping begins due to the vector delays and integration with other traffic. This is the final altitude where the GS is intercepted. I can visually see this from a viewing area about 15 miles away from the airport where I see some on downwind in level flight, turn base, and then intercept the localizer, all in level flight.I think stepping also involves vertical seperation where there is a congestion of local airports with a mix of commercial heavy and lighter aircraft all competing within overlapping airspace.

That's pretty much what I do - I know that FS has a plus or minus of about 200 feet, so I usually plug the cleared altitude plus 200 into that AP. As I approach the altitude, atc almost always clears me before the autopilot starts slowing the climb.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest j-mo

>That's pretty much what I do - I know that FS has a plus or>minus of about 200 feet, so I usually plug the cleared>altitude plus 200 into that AP. As I approach the altitude,>atc almost always clears me before the autopilot starts>slowing the climb.This is what I do, too. On descents, get the altimeter from ATIS, because sometimes you will stay at an assigned altitude, and you don't want ATC carping about your altitude deviation.Alex M.