Sign in to follow this  
Nane

Vatsim observer

Hello!

I just made a Vatsim account, and i wonder how i can observe a flight for the first time. I dont want to fly and talk myself, im happy to just listen and learn.

Thanks.

Read the info in their PRC, Pilot Resource Center. it's all there

Jay

Just install the client (Squawkbox or FSInn), check the online traffic with some program (I like servinfo) fire up FSX at the GA Apron of the busiest airport(NOT AT THE RUNWAY), and log onto Vatsim and tune to the tower or approach or whatever you want to listen to. Quite simple really.

It's nice to file a flightplan with an explanation of what you're doing on the flightplan such as "first time logged on, just listening" or something to that effect.

Just get it over with is my advice, I can still remember the adrenaline rush of that first logon. The first actual flight is even more nerve-wrecking, but that sense of accomplishment is so worth it. I don't quite understand why that felt so intense, but it seems that a lot of people talk about their first log on like this.

The PRC does have a lot of useful info, as do the vatsim forums.

Do just as 747-Fan suggests. I havent flown VATSIM is a long time but one of my best ever all time flights was when using VATSIM. It was a London Heathrow event that VATSIM hosted and the approach phase of the flight was awesome. The ATC service provided that day was top notch and there was so much traffic that speed and spacing were extreemly important. I even had to fly a hold so ATC could fit me in for a landing.

Jim Wenham

Get account

Download FSInn/Sqkbox and install (read the installation procedure and set -up a must)

Check either of these Forae for background info.

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=43&sid=190b9d207f2f7c414fce269e548c1d43

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=190b9d207f2f7c414fce269e548c1d43

Login to the server using obs_(you initials for example)

Read info for new pilots in Vatsim's website.

Don't be afraid and start flying when you feel confident with the aircraft you are flying.

Everyone makes mistakes at the beginning and controllers are pretty helpful if you

let thyem know you are new and learning the ropes. Don't b embarrased and learn

from them (your mistakes).

It an get addictive and if you are in a relationship best warn her. ;-)