Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

Unable to hear ATC replies and ATC responds to babble

This is an intermittent issue but I installed the 7 day trial yesterday. I went through MS Speech recognition and the VOX flight planner trainer to setup the speech engine.

The first issue I have is I talk to ATC something like this (making the phrases up, I know its not correct!) -

ATC - 'ND151 Cleared to taxi, use taxiway Charlie, tune 121.5 upon reaching holding point'

Me - 'Cleared blah um um ND151 right enough'

ATC - 'Read back correct'

Its a bit limiting as it doesn't prompt me if I read back the instructions incorrectly. Is this how it works for others? I have no problem reading the text properly and getting the correct response but was hoping it would scold me if I didn't repeat correctly.

Second issue is sometimes ATC doesn't speak to me with responses yet the text in the display window shows their response. It is as though the voice is not being played back for some reason. The application still works and moves me through the various stages but the voice is intermittent.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? If I get these issues sorted I will purchase this for sure as it looks very interesting.

I've sometimes had part of a clearance repeated after my first response, which I take as an indication that my response has been registered but ATC is unhappy about something I said. However, I've never had a second response rejected, even when I discovered that my mike was not positioned properly, or when I deliberately gave a garbled response just to check my impression that a second response will always be accepted.

Dugald

happens to me to and its almost if the controller wants to trust you but it only works once or twice maybe and thats if there isnt many numbers in your read back.

Graham you may have knocked the "k" key that assigns your co pilot to the radios

ZORAN

If your initial response is not is not understood the software is coded to accept your next response regardless of content. You can actually just click your mic button without speaking and the controller will accept this and move on to the next instruction. Earlier versions of the software would keep repeating "say again" repeatedly causing frustration for the human pilot.

Hmm, interesting. When was that change made? That was one issue that kept me from purchasing after trying the demo. I felt like I was getting into arguments with the controllers after ten tries of hearing back "cannot comply at this time" or to that effect.

That and near-empty skies traffic-wise.

Otherwise great program -- I keep checking it out for possible updates before biting the bullet on the cost.

I never get asked to read back now but it doesnt matter because the first officer handles every call perfectly and I only need to prompt the 1st officer to ask for clearance when Im ready.

ZORAN