Does FLIGHT rate ones landings? I mean apart from the guy going on about testing the gear and all that (isn't a good landing one you can walk away from, already?)

The last three missions I have done (I only fly clandestine missions, now - I hate to say it, but I'm a bit bored of flying chickens and filing cabinets, and don't get me started on the nurse) I have had to do two, or in one case, three landings to complete the mission, and think I may have the answer (apologies if this is old stuff...delete the post, Jeroen)

Having turned off the mssion pointer, and flying in inclement and changing weather, due to the often small and hidden nature of the strips, and notwithstanding the R key, I have landed somewhat "creatively" shall we say, like not on the centreline (cough) and perhaps a little off-kilter (cough - you mean like on one wheel, jake?)) and my prepare to land never goes away, and he never ends the mission, no matter where I taxi around to; so I do a go-around or a touch-and-go, and pay a little more attention now I know where the strip is in relation to my circuit, how long etc, and land "properly". The mission then completes successfully.

I have tested this on a standard, non-clandestine mission and it seems to be the same - I thought this might be a bug (some would say it still is) but it looks like, if you don't put her down with a degree of finesse, you may have to go and do it again...In fact, I'd go so far as to say you have to land pretty bl**dy awfully to trigger it :smile:

anyone care to test this out? It would explain a lot of frustration (but not the bad landings)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

that has happened to me before . , by the way..............."Having turned off the mssion pointer," I did not realize this is possible how do you turn off the mission pointer, and can the words fly to destination and the happy/sick passenger icon also be removed ?? thanx for any info.

Hi,

I don't think the sick/happy/farting passenger icons go (anyone comment? - I see no cargo icon, but I can't remember if there was one on clandestine missions anyway) but to remove the marker, go here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/365694-getting-rid-of-the-destination-marker/

The prepare to land etc guff is still present :(

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Does FLIGHT rate ones landings? I mean apart from the guy going on about testing the gear and all that (isn't a good landing one you can walk away from, already?)

Those comments, the sounds you hear at touchdown, the PAX/Cargo status icon, and your "Happy Passengers" count is the main way of rating your landings.

The last three missions I have done (I only fly clandestine missions, now - I hate to say it, but I'm a bit bored of flying chickens and filing cabinets, and don't get me started on the nurse) I have had to do two, or in one case, three landings to complete the mission, and think I may have the answer (apologies if this is old stuff...delete the post, Jeroen)

Having turned off the mssion pointer, and flying in inclement and changing weather, due to the often small and hidden nature of the strips, and notwithstanding the R key, I have landed somewhat "creatively" shall we say, like not on the centreline (cough) and perhaps a little off-kilter (cough - you mean like on one wheel, jake?)) and my prepare to land never goes away, and he never ends the mission, no matter where I taxi around to; so I do a go-around or a touch-and-go, and pay a little more attention now I know where the strip is in relation to my circuit, how long etc, and land "properly". The mission then completes successfully.

If you land on any runway of the destination field, beyond the position of the touch-down point indicated by your Destination Marker or your Glance command, your landing should register. The only way I've ever had a landing not register for Jobs is if I touched down too early and rolled over the Marker.

I have tested this on a standard, non-clandestine mission and it seems to be the same - I thought this might be a bug (some would say it still is) but it looks like, if you don't put her down with a degree of finesse, you may have to go and do it again...In fact, I'd go so far as to say you have to land pretty bl**dy awfully to trigger it :smile:

anyone care to test this out? It would explain a lot of frustration (but not the bad landings)

Any landing gentle enough to not trigger a crash should be counting for you, so long as your wheels first touch on the actual runway and beyond the marked touchdown point.

that has happened to me before . , by the way..............."Having turned off the mssion pointer," I did not realize this is possible how do you turn off the mission pointer, and can the words fly to destination and the happy/sick passenger icon also be removed ?? thanx for any info.

Since the linked post appears to have lost it's formatting, I'll add it here for clarity...

1. Make sure MS Flight is not running.

2. Open the folder <UserData>/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/Flight

3. Make a backup copy of the file flight.cfg, so you can restore it if anything goes wrong.

4. Open the file flight.cfg in a text editor, such as Notepad.

5. Scroll down until you find this setting:

[PointOfInterestSystem]

VisibleSetting=0

6. change the setting to "1".

7. Save the file and start MS Flight.

This will disable the destination markers. Use the new Glance [R] command to help you find your runways and parking spot, if needed.

8. Enjoy navigating yourself!

Thank you both very much I never did like that pointer but I do enjoy the glance option !

Thanks, Ray. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with these statements:

"if I touched down too early and rolled over the Marker" Entirely possible :Monkey:

"so long as your wheels first touch on the actual runway" Ditto. I'm guessing that one wheel on the runway and one wheel either in the air at the threshold, or actually one wheel off the runway either at the threshold or the whole landing would count against me :Monkey: :Monkey:

damn those field strips! I am using the windy weather though, so it's all quite hairy :Nail Biting:

I don't ever get the cargo icon go bad as I just fly low and fast..

I think I may ned to work on my technique. I'm usually over-weight, or so I'm told by The Man. When he says enter a normal landing pattern, I don't usually gain enough height quickly enough, so I'm usually low on the glide-path

They do seem to have fixed the "glitch" whereby, every single mission at between 27 and 26NM to the drop-off point, the feds would show up, usually over my shoulder and very high up; he'd say let's hot-foot it, and a second or two later, they'd just go..Never actually saw one, and never got chased, but they'd always show up..done three now and not seen nor heard from them..

Thanks

jake

p.s yes, the glance is great..really good idea :clapping:

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg